View Full Version : Experiences w/ PPCTechs Repairs?

JPD6825
09-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Could some of you share your experiences w/ PocketPC Techs repairs? In particular, have you found it to be sensibly priced. We have a sick Axim X5 in the family - and are wondering what the chances are that it can be repaired for say $50 USD. The trouble is : one day it was found unresponsive (dead) after having been left sitting for perhaps a week; apparently this was a total battery discharge. I'm told that installing a freshly charged battery did not bring it back to life. Also, soft and hard resets have not revived it either. I don't think I could rationalize spending more than $50 to repair a PPC this old. However, if that would extend its life by another year or more... the user would be quite happy with that outcome. What do you think?

Sven Johannsen
09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
You'd have to contact PPCTechs for their guess, but I would expect $50 is probably the bear minumum of any repair on a piece of electronic gear. You'll spend almost half of that in shiiping, by my quess too.

They are a very reputable firm though. I've been happy with my upgrades, but I've never had repairs done.

Has the user changed the backup battery as well?

JPD6825
09-07-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm not sure if they changed the back up battery. If it is trashed too, will that inhibit the PPC from coming up? I'll look into that.

I checked out the PPCTechs info on repairs. They will 'evaluate' the PPC for $50. If you don't actually go through with the repair, they refund you $25. Apparently $50 is the starting point for repair services though.

Sven Johannsen
09-07-2005, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure if they changed the back up battery. If it is trashed too, will that inhibit the PPC from coming up? I'll look into that.
Not positive, but it could, and for $2, it's something to try. The backup battery in an X5 has always been a flaky bit of the device.

Guess the repair really depends on how much the X5 is liked and how ready the user is to shell out for a new device, or a used one off of eBay.

JPD6825
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
I checked with my X5 user. He says he replaced the back-up battery - with no improvement in the situation. Put another back up battery in...He then even checked the voltage on the backup battery -
He swapped Li batteries with another X5 guy; then tried hard reset with that battery in; no help. He has already opened up the back of the X5 to have a look around - saw no obviously smoked components. It sounds like PPCTechs or nothing to me.