View Full Version : dubai = gadget mekka ? what to get?

dMores
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
my girlfriend might be going to dubai around the end of this year.
and since i think i heard that dubai has the latest gadgets and toys, i wanted to ask some of you, what i should tell her to get me :)

are PPC-prices lower than elsewhere? or is it just among one of the countries that gets goodies first ?

thanks.

Pocket PC Dubai
09-04-2005, 08:46 PM
You will find some bargains, such as i-mate PDA2K (unlocked) at AED 2600 which is $706, also Sony PSP at approx. $226

Sven Johannsen
09-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Have her pick me up an unlocked HTC Universal. (AKA iMate JasJar) :)

dMores
09-04-2005, 09:12 PM
i told her about the universal, now she's hooked and all excited to throw out her MDA2 and vaio laptop since, after all, the universal is better than both :)
it's a nice feeling to get your love hooked on something you drool over, but it's not so nice to know she will someday have a better pda than you.

but $706 for the pda2k doesn't sound like a bargain to me.
our carrier offers the un-sim-locked version for EUR 699, but if i (or she) were to extend our plan for another 18 months, we could get it for EUR 349, which is about US$437. simlocked, but barely branded (unlike the t-mobile versions it's only got some carrier background, but no specially mapped buttons and OS modifications.)
i'm not really interested in the psp, sounds great but i'm not that much of a mobile gamer.
pocket PC dubai ... how much does the unlocked universal cost over there?

sven, i can ask her if she wants to the universal one for you.
money would be needed in advance though, visa card maxed out and all that.
PM me if you weren't kidding :)

Pocket PC Dubai
09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
pocket PC dubai ... how much does the unlocked universal cost over there?
i-mate JASJAR will be released during this week, I will update you when they announce it.

Add your email to this thread so they will notify you:

http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/903108485/m/2111025401

If you need any help I will be pleased to assist you :)

My name is Mohammed

Sven Johannsen
09-04-2005, 10:07 PM
PM me if you weren't kidding :)
I was sort of hoping for a XMas present ;)

I actually would really like one, but I can't justify the cost to myself. I have this issue where I can't take cameras to many of the places I work. The Universal would only make sense if it could replace both my Cell and PPC. At the moment I can use my PPC in the restricted environment and just use their phones, leaving my camera equipped phone outside. With the Universal, I'd be naked.

The HP Communicator, sans camera, model, would work, but I'll hold out 'till the WM5 versions are released.

Sven Johannsen
09-04-2005, 10:16 PM
but $706 for the pda2k doesn't sound like a bargain to me. Our carrier offers the un-sim-locked version for EUR 699,

That's 706 US dollars which is $574 EUR. With no lock, no contract. Does that sound better? $125 EUR or 18% off.

dMores
09-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Add your email to this thread so they will notify you:
http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/903108485/m/2111025401 oooh, and it's the black one too !!!
much prettier than the silver version!
i registered and keep the thread bookmarked! kind of wary to publish my email adress ... trying to keep spam to a minimum.
thanks for the help.

was sort of hoping for a XMas present
ha! ;) sorry mate, no recent win in the lottery.

That's 706 US dollars which is $574 EUR. With no lock, no contract. Does that sound better? $125 EUR or 18% off. true, that is a good price. but in my case it's still more expensive than getting it with simlock from my carrier.

dMores
09-07-2005, 08:28 PM
are dubainian :) prices including taxes?
or are they "hidden", like in the US ?

Pocket PC Dubai
09-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi dMores,

Sorry for the late reply. Actually there are no Taxes in Dubai and no additional cost whatsoever.

Regards,

Mohammed