View Full Version : Where has AvantGO G O N E ? =o\

Noel
08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I'v been attemping to sync and then visit avantgo site since yesterday - all I get are DNS errors! http://www.avantgo.com

Anyone else getting this?
Anyone have any news?

Noel

Sven Johannsen
08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Haven't used it for quite a while, but when I did, they went down now and again. Sometimes a day, sometimes a weekend. It's free, not much you can complain about. (At least as a consumer. I suppose their advertisers complain with weight)

Get yourself a good RSS reader.

Noel
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks Sven...

Actually I do have a good news reader - I meant NEWS ABOUT WHY AVANTOGO IS GONE :roll: I'm sure you're right - most subscriptions are free however Avantgo does offer additional content for subscription $

It seems odd to me that there isn't any UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION or other NOTICE from the company.

Noel

PS. Maybe there is a Poll question in here somewhere about AvantGo?

yankeejeep
08-27-2005, 10:27 PM
They never post any type of notice, and it is usually on a weekend. I guess they assume that the traffic will be lower so fewer users will be incovenienced. I expect they will be back up sometime tomorrow. When they take the servers down they always seem to get them back online before Monday morning.

yankeejeep
08-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I just checked the AvantGo page on my PPC. There's a ticker at the top that says there is a planned service outage until 11:59 PM PST, Sunday. So it will be out for most of the weekend for maintenance/server work.

Fishie
08-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah, and they warned about it on the main page as well.

shawnc
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
I find Avantgo to be extremely reliable and useful, however they do seem to go down on the weekends quite often without any type of notice. Fortunately (for me anyway) I rarely sync content on the weekends so I'm not as affected as others. But Monday-Friday, they have always been there for me.

Noel
08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
There's a ticker at the top
Not on my version (5.7 Build 46) there isn't/wasn't! :?
It does seem to be up and syncing today. :D
I find Avantgo to be extremely reliable and useful
So do I, shawnc! I have been using Avantgo since Day 1 - it's one of those useful adjuncts to RSS and WiFi web-based news.
I wonder how many PPCT users still use Avango?

Noel

Sven Johannsen
08-29-2005, 07:25 AM
I kind of quit using them about the time they felt the need to have their own dedicated front end, rather than using PIE. Never did download the new one. Used the old one for a while, got a phone with data plan and BT which gave me actual net access real time, got a Smartphone that made that even easier, and discovered RSS. All that and I really only wanted Avantgo to access Virtually There for trip itinerarys. Got Repligo and just print it to a suitable sub for that function. Just lost the need for Avantgo.