View Full Version : GSM/GPRS Capability on DELL Axim 50 PDA

qwikm
08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
I am looking to develop a GSM/GPRS Capability on my DELL PDA (Axim 50) . The exisitng cards are crappy to say the least.

This will be an CF or an SD card (similair to the T-Mobile Aircard) that will maintain an air interface with existing US GSM /CDMA networks . The idea is to use a Qualcomm chipset that provides GSM/CDMA/GPS capabilities.

Can anyone guide me to a good spot where I can get started or some basic steps to start ? Or alternately any company that develops similair solution.

I understand this maybe asking for a lot in a small post, I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
QM

Darius Wey
08-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Hi QM, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

The problem with such solutions is that there's a lack of them out there. With so many dedicated Pocket PC Phone Editions floating around, turning a standalone PDA into a phone-enabled one tends to be a costly process, and half the time, it's not what the user is after.

The only cards I can think of off the top of my head are the Audiovox Tri-Band GSM/GPRS CF card and the Enfora GSM0110 GSM/GPRS CF card. Have you looked at those yet?

silber1
09-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I use an HP hx4700 together with an Audiovox RTM8000P GPRS CF modem.
In principe it works, but I have still a lot of problems which I think are relatet with the MS Connection Manger which will not work properly in my hx.
See my threads in different forums:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=951849

phs
09-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Does it really have to be a CF or SD/IO card?

Why not just connect via your cellphone?

Darius Wey
09-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Does it really have to be a CF or SD/IO card?

Why not just connect via your cellphone?

I think bringing a cellphone into the equation would eliminate the need to enable GSM/GPRS functionality on the Pocket PC. What qwikm is probably looking for is an all-in-one solution, so that he/she can leave the dedicated cellphone at home.

Rather than sniffing out CF solutions, it probably would have been better to go with a Phone Edition device, but that's just my two cents.