View Full Version : Google Talk On Your Pocket PC

Ed Hansberry
08-26-2005, 03:00 AM
As most of you know by now, Google has released a new IM client called <a href="http://talk.google.com">Google Talk</a>. Officially, it only works on Windows. Unofficially, it works on many different platforms. <a href="http://www.movsoftware.com/products/imov/imov.htm">imov Universal Mobile Manager</a> for the Pocket PC, for example, can be configured to work with Google Talk.<br /><br />1) Open imov Messenger.<br />2) On the Login screen, enter 'talk.google.com' as in the 'Servername:' field. Enter your full Gmail email address in the 'Username:' field (including '@gmail.com').<br />3) Click the 'Setup' button and on the next dialog box click the 'Advanced...' button.<br />4) Check the 'Encrypt sessions' checkbox and click OK to dismiss the Advanced Setup dialog box. Click OK again to dismiss the Setup dialog box.<br />5) Click the 'Connect' button on the Login Screen to connect to the Google server.<br /><br />Arne Hess also has some <a href="http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2613">interesting thoughts</a> on Google Talk in the enterprise. Apparently, the Windows client is so easy to install and works over non-standard IM ports, anyone can install it, without admin privileges, and plug right into the proxy server.

kaitanium
08-26-2005, 03:10 AM
i think aim still has the world on lockdown. man if only all my friends had this, then i could be talking to them on my ppc!

jhennig
08-26-2005, 03:26 AM
Is there any chance of google releasing their own ppc program for it?

Darius Wey
08-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Is there any chance of google releasing their own ppc program for it?

I doubt it. Gmail support for the Pocket PC took so long that it's clear that their committment to the Pocket PC platform is anything but stellar. Even then, it's not "true" Gmail support for the Pocket PC - it's more like Gmail support for non-supported browsers. So to think Google would start working on a Pocket PC client for Google Talk, is in my opinion, wishful thinking.

You'd be better off using the aforementioned suggestion, or setting it up through a mobile Jabber client using the "talk.google.com" server and port 5222.

jhennig
08-26-2005, 03:52 AM
bummer, although i'm not suprised. As you stated, it seems pretty clear that they aren't interested in ppcs.

ricksfiona
08-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Well I use Agile Messenger on my iPaq 5550 and I can get onto AIM, MSN and Yahoo! without a problem. Bummer I can't get onto Google's service.

I was very excited when I heard about this announcement. Man, Google is just on a rampage! I wonder what they are going to come out with next.

bothari
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Jabber rules. I work in a european telecom, developing our own jabber client (mostly to mantain localized content) and we were over the moon when google talk came out, for various reasons, one of which is the current lack of Jabber mobile clients.

You see, google probably won't develop their own ppc/mobile client... but it's *google* so you can bet that lots of people are right now thinking "Boy, a jabber client for mobile clients might just take off, let's do owr own ...".

As for Agile Messenger, they dropped jabber . Bet they're feeling stupid now...

jhennig
08-26-2005, 01:57 PM
I hear next google is working on creating free google cars which you will be emailed through your gmail account. You will need to upload your location to them through google earth and talk to a rep via google talk... don't forget to use google search to find the appropriate car for you. :D

OSUKid7
08-26-2005, 03:41 PM
don't forget to use google search to find the appropriate car for you. :D
I think Froogle (http://www.froogle.com) would be used, actually. ;)

Jason Lee
08-26-2005, 05:41 PM
I would be very interested in getting google talk's voip working from my pocket pc. The only way i can do that now is with portrait. I am assuming imov doesn't support voice.

bothari
08-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I would be very interested in getting google talk's voip working from my pocket pc. The only way i can do that now is with portrait. I am assuming imov doesn't support voice.

Google's voip does it's signaling over xmpp (jabber's protocol) using their in-house high-level protocol and not one of the standard protocols such as SIP. They do state on their developer page that they're building a SIP connector, but voip is strictly for their app for now.

ricksfiona
08-26-2005, 09:07 PM
As for Agile Messenger, they dropped jabber . Bet they're feeling stupid now...

Doubt it. All my clients use AOL, Yahoo! or MSN, so I can connect to them just fine. Jabber? From what I saw, they have AOL support, Exchange and Notes. Unless you're in an Enterprise environment, Jabber doesn't make too much sense.

Different tools for different people.

njl2016
08-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I haven't actually chatted (is that even a word? but I digress) with anyone yet, but how does Google Talk work with this client?

wsw2
02-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Are there any Voice Chat or Video Chat Clients for PPC that anyone knows about? if so tell what IM service its for, PPC OS Version and any features it has... I been searching for like 2 days but cant find anything to try. Thanks...

Jason Lee
02-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Are there any Voice Chat or Video Chat Clients for PPC that anyone knows about? if so tell what IM service its for, PPC OS Version and any features it has... I been searching for like 2 days but cant find anything to try. Thanks...

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

Microsoft portrait. there are ppc and pc versions. supports voice and video also interfaces with msn messenger. I've used it for years.

wsw2
02-11-2006, 08:03 PM
cool... yeah i saw in the other post portriat but couldnt locate anything... i'm going to check it out... Also Google released the source for thier VOIP in google talk... (its open source on source forge).. I cannot open it because it says it was made in VS 8.0 and i only can open 7.1, But i have VS2005 from my school, so anyone know what could be the problem?

Also anyone else know of any for other ppc Clients...

OSUKid7
02-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Also anyone else know of any for other ppc Clients...
Well if VoIP is all you need, you can't (well, imo) beat Skype. (http://www.skype.com/products/skype/pocketpc/)

wsw2
02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Skype is another service too... I am checking it out... It says it has video chat as well... but i am just trying to make a list of all the possible apps for PPC that are here now... Another thing MS Portriat can connect to a SIP server so if google talk fully converts to SIP, like some article i saw said... Then Portriat would do MSN and Google... I havent gotten to try it cause noone i know is online, but i was able to configure it to capture video from my ppc.. i want to check it out.. The only problem is that my camera is on the other side not the screen side and cannot be moved.. i have a 6700 the sprint model..

rickshaw
10-18-2006, 07:40 AM
hi, i am convinced that google talk is a really good IM. in addition to that, found this site called gtalkphone.com. now, it allows me to make PC to ordinary phone calls anywhere in the world and vice-versa. check it out! its cool!

octro
04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Check out www.octro.com. OctroTalk is a Jabber/GTalk client which also lets you do VOIP and File Transfer directly on your Pocket PC/Smartphone.