View Full Version : Looking for a convertable Tablet PC/notebook - recommendations?

ctmagnus
08-25-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm in the market for a convertable Tablet PC (or possibly a notebook) to replace an aging desktop. Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands/models? The only limitations are that I want something that does more than 1024x768x16bit color, is no bigger than 15.4", and is less than around $3000CDN before taxes.

kaitanium
08-25-2005, 02:40 AM
i would only recommend ibm laptops but i think their tablet x41 is only 1024x768 res. ibms are cream of the cream industry standard laptops. i myself have a x40 and didnt even consider any other company when wanting a laptop. people who know laptops will know ibms unprecedented relibility. btw the x series is extremely tiny and thin.

but otherwise toshiba is also nice and their latest m200s have sxga res. im sure you can find older m200s for less.

if this helps microsoft has a site dedicated to tablets
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/products.mspx

ctmagnus
08-25-2005, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I've been working with a couple of IBM laptops lately, and that swayed my interest from Toshiba's Tecra M4. Now I'm undecided between IBM, Dell (don't know which model yet, though) and Toshiba.

kaitanium
08-25-2005, 06:37 AM
dell has a tablet pc? ive never had a good time with dells, the dells my friends have broke after some short time. dell i have to admit is dirt cheap though. and cheap is what you get, if you pick up an ibm by its corner it feels solid, pick up a dell and its starts squeaking and cracking. and when someone shakes your table, the dells monitor flaps back and forth, i dont see that happening on my ibm. oh the keyboard is to die for too. all these little nit picks.

and my logic is that a notebook isnt like a desktop, you cant just replace a broken part by yourself so why not just spend a tad bit more and go for something of higher quality and has a higher relibility rate.

ctmagnus
08-25-2005, 07:58 PM
and my logic is that a notebook isnt like a desktop, you cant just replace a broken part by yourself so why not just spend a tad bit more and go for something of higher quality and has a higher relibility rate.

I agree with that logic.

However, the one issue I had with the two IBMs I set up in the last two weeks is that they had no Windows key! 8O I looked for two minutes, row-by-row and key-by-key but found none.

And I was referring to Dell laptops, not Tablets. ;) Same with IBM.

kaitanium
08-25-2005, 10:03 PM
yep no windows key. ive learned to deal with it though. you know about ctrl+esc right? that brings up the start bar too.

ctmagnus
08-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I was trying to do win+E, win+R, etc. Ctrl+esc then R works, but not Ctrl+esc than E unless there's an Explorer shortcut on the Start Menu, renamed from Windows Explorer to Explorer. Also. Win+D, Win+M, Win+break don't work too well in this case.

Anyways, I've pretty much got my sights set on the Tecra M4 due to the resolution and removable DVD+-RW drive.

If anyone wants to try to sway me, go for it. (If anyone else is reading this thread, that is ;) )

Darius Wey
08-26-2005, 03:17 AM
If anyone wants to try to sway me, go for it. (If anyone else is reading this thread, that is ;) )

I have nothing against the M4. It's a solid device from a solid manufacturer - if you can justify paying a little extra for the Toshiba name. For what it's worth, I'm a happy Dell Inspiron user. I've played with a number of laptops in the past, and it was Dell's extensive customisation which swayed me. But of course, experience is a personal thing, and YMMV.

ctmagnus
08-26-2005, 05:28 AM
I configured Dells and I configured Dells and I configured Dells and no matter what, I always ended up with a similar price to the Toshiba with similar specs, but this has XP Tablet Edition instead of Pro. So I sprung for the Toshiba today. However, there is a three-week ship time from the only Canadian dealer I could find that mentioned anything about it being in stock at any point in the future, so if I find a better deal in that time I'll just cancel this order and get the other one instead.

I really wanted a Dell, too. :(

Darius Wey
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I really wanted a Dell, too. :(

There's always the X50v (or the X51v (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42529)). :P

ctmagnus
11-20-2005, 12:02 AM
2.5 month update on my quest:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/products.mspx

There aren't too many tablets with greater than 1024x768 resolution, on that list. Very surprising.

Anyhow, I love my Tecra M4 Tablet PC. I've got it working exactly how I like my systems to function (except for the busy cursor that shows up when you clear the list of mru documents, but I have yet to see an XP machine that doesn't do that). It's a little large front to back due to the swivel hinge, as opposed to the traditional folding hinge that laptops have, and due to this, I had a great deal of difficulty finding a case big enough to accomodate it. I eventually settled on using my Timbuk2 commute that I had to begin with, for around town use, and I ordered a Targus backpack during Dell Canada's last round of Ten Days of Deals for times when I need to travel with the tablet.

It shipped with Bluetooth software installed but no Bluetooth module, but another quick order (plus installation and a few seemingly unrelated headaches) corrected that. I have my Pocket PC and Smartphone both syncing via Bluetooth, my Bluetooth mouse works fine, and my Bluetooth DUN connection works as well. Hint: Toshiba Europe's Bluetooth support is much better than that of Toshiba North America.

The only real issue I have with it is that it's a little large when used in tablet mode while reclining in a really big, comfy chair, but other than that I give it an excellent rating.

beq
12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Sorry to come late to the thread. I bought a ThinkPad X41 Tablet this past summer and I love it (it replaced my ThinkPad X40). My friends & family have been using ThinkPads too (mostly the T series).

There's another thread (http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38636&perpage=13&pagenumber=3) from a couple of months ago that I participated in...