View Full Version : Dell Axim X51/X51v Passes Bluetooth Certification; Low-End X30 Models Dropped

Janak Parekh
08-24-2005, 11:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=2692' target='_blank'>http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templa...&ProductID=2692</a><br /><br /></div>Here's a neat little nugget for speculation: PPCT reader ctitanic noticed the Bluetooth SIG has certified the Axim X51 and X51v units as being BT v1.2 compliant. The million dollar question is, of course, what the X51(v) is. I'm guessing it's the X50(v) but with WM5. Anyone else care to speculate further?<br /><br />In other news, Brighthand <a href="http://brighthand.com/article/Two_Axim_X30_Models_Discontinued">is reporting</a> that the lower-end X30 models have been discontinued, with only the 624MHz X30 remaining. I'm hoping this signals a price shift downwards as new Axims are introduced.

ctmagnus
08-25-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm hoping the X51(v) is the same as you describe but with dedicated softkeys, giving the unit six buttons on the front.

R K
08-25-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm hoping the X51(v) is the same as you describe but with dedicated softkeys, giving the unit six buttons on the front.

I thought WM5 was supposed to bring that functionality.
I don't think it would be too difficult to map one of the current Axim's buttons on to the WM5 soft keys.

ADBrown
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

I thought WM5 was supposed to bring that functionality.
I don't think it would be too difficult to map one of the current Axim's buttons on to the WM5 soft keys.

He means added hardware buttons to activate the softkeys, so that you wouldn't have to touch the screen to navigate.

ctitanic
08-25-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't think that it's the same x50 with WM5 because for a software upgrade Dell does not need the FCC approval. The fact that they asked for the approval tells me that they have changed something in the hardware of the these devices that make them different than the x50.

Paragon
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
I don't think that it's the same x50 with WM5 because for a software upgrade Dell does not need the FCC approval. The fact that they asked for the approval tells me that they have changed something in the hardware of the these devices that make them different than the x50.

Would having a different Bluetooth stack require FCC approval?

ctitanic
08-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Would having a different Bluetooth stack require FCC approval?

But for that don't you need a hardware change?

R K
08-25-2005, 02:20 AM
I don't think I ever heard of them going for FCC approval.
They were going for Bluetooth SIG approval.

kaitanium
08-25-2005, 02:26 AM
i doubt its gonna have any major differences since the model is only one up from the current 50. if its something major i would assume they would do something like go from x30 --> x50. i think its just with wm5 too

ctitanic
08-25-2005, 02:50 AM
I don't think I ever heard of them going for FCC approval.
They were going for Bluetooth SIG approval.

sorry, my mistake, the Bluetooth SIG approval.

Ed@Brighthand
08-25-2005, 04:37 AM
The million dollar question is, of course, what the X51(v) is. I'm guessing it's the X50(v) but with WM5. Anyone else care to speculate further?
I'm really looking forward to this handheld, as it's going to be the first Pocket PC with a built-in hard drive.

You can read more about this device here (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Axim_X51_Series_Get_BT_Approval?site=PPC#Rumor).

Jason Dunn
08-25-2005, 05:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to this handheld, as it's going to be the first Pocket PC with a built-in hard drive.

Um...don't hold your breath, you'll turn very blue. ;-)

Stephen Beesley
08-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Well what ever this thing is I just hope that Dell Australia has it at a reasonalble price and before I buy my next PDA... :wink:

I tend to agree that the number would tend to indicate that it is not substantially different to the current x50 line up. But I would definately be interested in something like the x50v but with a hard drive of some kind - even if it meant sacrificing the CF slot.

Somehow I do not think that we will be seeing that before the end of this year though.

badbob001
08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
But I would definately be interested in something like the x50v but with a hard drive of some kind - even if it meant sacrificing the CF slot.

Why not just get a microdrive since many built-in drives and microdrives are essentially the same. Unless you're thinking of something along the line of a 60GB hdd and the thickness of an iPod? Are you familiar with the iPod fiasco where the batteries are not replaceable so when they lose their charge, customers are encouraged to buy a new iPod or buy an expensive replacement service? You want the same to happen to your internal irreplaceable hdd? We can bring back the slogan, "Click of Death (http://grc.com/tip/codfaq1.htm) (tm)." :)

ADBrown
08-25-2005, 05:55 PM

Um...don't hold your breath, you'll turn very blue. ;-)

Seconded. Not happening.

tthiel
08-25-2005, 06:25 PM
The "iPod fiasco" is dramatically overblown to the point that it is not a real issue. The "expensive" battery replacement is $50 btw.

As far as hard rive in any PDA I prefer the choice of putting a CF hard drive in if I want one. I've not been at all impressed with Palms Lifedrive because it is slow and you have to use the built-in hard drive.

But I would definately be interested in something like the x50v but with a hard drive of some kind - even if it meant sacrificing the CF slot.

Why not just get a microdrive since many built-in drives and microdrives are essentially the same. Unless you're thinking of something along the line of a 60GB hdd and the thickness of an iPod? Are you familiar with the iPod fiasco where the batteries are not replaceable so when they lose their charge, customers are encouraged to buy a new iPod or buy an expensive replacement service? You want the same to happen to your internal irreplaceable hdd? We can bring back the slogan, "Click of Death (http://grc.com/tip/codfaq1.htm) (tm)." :)

Stephen Beesley
08-26-2005, 02:38 AM

Yes the microdrive solution is definately a good one except for one issue - price. At least as far as it goes in my part of the world Microdrives are just too damn expensive. I hate it when I see all these cheap deals on the web which tend to be US based. Even when they will ship to Oz they tend to charge an arm and a leg for shipping making it not really worth while.

To tell the truth I would probably prefer the microdrive approach to the built in one especially as it would allow for upgrading in terms of both size and performace of your drive down the track.

ctitanic
09-05-2005, 11:40 PM
http://x51v.blogspot.com