View Full Version : Garmin iQue M5 or IPAQ + Garmin cf Que 1630 ?

gunksny
08-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi-

I'm trying to decide on a device with GPS capabilities.

I started out looking at the Garmin M5 because I liked the screen size, compactness and portability, and PDA features. It has Bluetooth, but NO WiFi.

Then, I saw the Garmin Que 1630 compact flash add on. And thought it would be a great addition to something like the HP hx4700 or hx2000 series pocket PC's.

http://www.garmin.com/products/cfQue/

I've read here on the forum that some are very happy with this combination. Does anyone know if the 1630 runs the same software that comes on the M5 and whether it tracks as many satellites (12)?

The M5 isn't cheap - it seems like the hx4700 + 1620 gives me a higher res, larger screen with more memory and a faster processor and wifi, for not too much more $$.

Anyone out there still using this combo and have any comment?

Thanks!

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
You could, of course, use the CF GPS on a Dell X50 or X50v and get the same advantages for less money then anything by HP :)

Jordan Rosenwald
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
There are several different ways you can go.
1) You've got not less than two PDAs out there that have GPS built in. I've only played with these for 10 minutes or less and they seem decent.
2) You've got PDAs like the v50 that have a CF slot so you could get a CF GPS.
3) You could go with any PDA that has Bluetooth, then buy a BT GPS reciever.

Personally, I like option 2 and 3 the best because it let's you pick the software that you like best. I've now tried Mapopolis, iGuidance, and the lastest version of Destinator. While I keep hearing great things about Destinator, iGuidance and TomTom, I don't feel they hold a candle to Mapopolis is the "simple and incredibly effective" arena.
So, in my opinion, PetiteFlower has a point about saving cash on the v50 (over most of the HPs) and going with either a CF or a BT solution. Of course, why by a v50 then use up one of your CF slots with a GPS when you could just do BT?
Personally, I have a x30 High, with a BT GPS reciever and Mapopolis, and I think it does a fantastic job. Sure it's not nearly as integrated and seemless as a GPS enabled PDA, but I pick the software I want to use, plus buying all three (PDA, software and GPS) didn't cost NEARLY as much as the integrated PDAs are selling for.

Hope that helps.

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I asked for a BT GPS for my birthday, here's hoping I get it!

Anyway there *might* be a battery life advantage for a CF GPS over a BT one, but I'm not really sure. It's worth looking into though.

Jordan Rosenwald
08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Power your BT connection or power a CF GPS reciever (the BT ones tend to hold 10+ hour charges)... either way you're drawing power. Not sure which takes more.
The BT receiver I purchased was cool enough to come with a Y-connector to charge the PDA and the GPS. Used it for the first time this weekend (most of my trips thend to be 30 minutes or less, so I've never bothered) and it worked like champ.

gunksny
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Hmm..I never really considered Bluetooth as I am likely to use it outside hiking and walking around.

Though, Garmin also makes the GPS 10 which is a bluetooth, waterproof receiver. I guess I could always fasten that whatever I'm carrying. That would also allow me to go with a smaller PDA, though I think having a 4" screen would be helpful when using GPS.

(I'm heavily leaning toward the Garmin GPS solutions because I really like their mapping/software)

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Couldn't you just put a BT receiver in your pocket or in your backpack? It doesn't need to be attached to the PDA, that's the beauty of BT :) As long as it's somewhere on you, it should work.

Sven Johannsen
08-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Couldn't you just put a BT receiver in your pocket or in your backpack? It doesn't need to be attached to the PDA, that's the beauty of BT :) As long as it's somewhere on you, it should work.

Actually it has a better chance of hanging on to the GPS signal in the top pocket of a backpack, clipped to a shoulder strap of velcro'd to the top of your hat. The CF style really prefer to be held with the antenna up, though as units get better, this is getting to be less of a problem. My Garmin Forerunner sits happilly on my arm witout me really thinking about it unless I look at it. Still it will lose sync faster at my side than when held up.

Just saying that a PPC with a CF GPS will need to be held so that the antenna faces the sky to ensure keeping lock. With the BT set it can always be placed to maximize the sky view. You can even put your PPC in your pocket when not needing to look at it. You could set it to dim or shut of the screen, but you don't want it to power off, as that sometimes becomes a hassle when you power it back on. Typically the BT will disconnect, and you have to re-connect, all the while the mapping software is screaming for input.

There are definately trade-offs.