View Full Version : Will the Toshiba e800 support the update to windows mobile 2005?

chees
08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
I recently just ordered one of these to upgrade from my old casio e115. Will the toshiba e800 support this update?

Darius Wey
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
No. Toshiba are currently looking at avenues other than the Pocket PC, and the e800's ROM size is a tad small to be supporting Windows Mobile 5.0 anyway.

It's unfortunate to say the least, but not much else can be done.

yankeejeep
08-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Technically, the Toshiba e800 line would be able to run WM5, but as Darius pointed out, the small FlashROM does not make it a good candidate. Since Toshiba has not announced that it will release updates for any model, we all must assume that none will be appearing and Toshiba is the only source for OS ROMs for its devices. Unlike desktop Windows, there is no general upgrade issued by Microsoft for the WM platform. Each device maker is responsible for issung the ROM images for their models and each model gets a specific update that includes the drivers for its hardware.

The e800 line is configured to get the best from WM2003SE.

Ivanna Tinkle
08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I recently just ordered one of these to upgrade from my old casio e115. Will the toshiba e800 support this update?

Ah, yes, Toshiba and a new OS. Remember, the e800 series replaced the e740, the OS upgradable unit that was abandoned. It's a shame because they did sell a decent piece of hardware. They do not, and never have had a serious commitment to the PPC market being worse than hp who has a dismal record as well. Having had an e740 and an hp 5555, I tried the Dell x50V. They have been extremely good with supporting their hardware and upgrades. These companies are going to have to understand that end users will not continue buying expensive hardware only to replace it a year of so later. Oh well, that's my Toshiba rant for the day. :devilboy:

yankeejeep
08-21-2005, 07:17 PM
To keep Toshiba from sounding like complete scum-of-the-earth, they were about the only maker who upgraded models from WM2003 to WM2003SE (both the e400 and e800 were initially released with WM2003 and then updated with ROM reflash images). It would appear that they are moving out of the PPC market at this time and concentrating on other options, so it should surprise no one that they do not issue a ROM update for any models. Why would they want to incur continuing support headaches for a business line they are dropping?

I have been running my e805 for eighteen months on WM2003 (the last year on SE) and have been generally happy with it, especially with the larger-than-typical RAM area. I will not consider replacing it until I see what the designed-for-WM5 devices look like. At the moment, I do not anticipate any of them to carry the Toshiba branding.