View Full Version : Wanadoo Pay-As-You-Go in UK (Belfast)

Mark Kenepp
08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I will be taking my annual pilgrimage to Belfast on Monday ( :beer: I will be 5000 miles from work! :beer: ).

I have an O2 Pay-as-you-go account that I have kept active for the last three years. I have just reregistered with Wanadoo (formerly Freeserve) for pay-as-you-go Internet connection.

I have always had good success with connecting to Wanadoo with my Pocket PC through my mobile to check my email.

I am just wondering if anyone here who has experience with Wanadoo in the UK (or experience with O2) can tell me if anything has changed in the past year that would mean my settings need updated.

I know that some ISPs have started to require SMTP authentication but it does not seem that Wanadoo is one of them.

Also, I assume that Wanadoo still accepts standard PPP connections.

Are there other pay-as-you-go Internet solutions available in the UK that would work with a PocketPC?

Cheers,

MacBriar
08-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi

Orange have good coverage and offer pay as you go GPRS, a sim pack is only about £10.

There is a starbucks in the Corn Market in Belfast that offers Wifi via a TMobile hotspot. Also if you are interested then look into the availability of BT Openzone wireless hotspots http://www.btopenzone.com/ Openzone offers pay per minute or vouchers for Wifi access.

Hope this helps you out.

MacBriar

Mark Kenepp
08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks MacBriar,

Does Orange PAYG GPRS allow full access?

I know that O2 only allows WAP with their PAYG service but I believe there is no charge for it. Also, if Orange allows full access with WAP, is it easy enough to get the settings for my 2215?

Using standard dialup has never been a problem but it would be nice to use GPRS.

I will likely be spending most of my time in Carnlough. The only time I will head to downtown Belfast is for a little shopping and that will likely be “I know what I am looking for, get in,” get out trip.

Cheers,

Hrun
08-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi there,

I connect via wanadoo occasionally with a bluetooth connection to my phone and it works well at 10 pence per minute.

Have a good trip mate

Giles

MacBriar
08-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Mark

As far as I know Orange PAYG offers full access, but I'll check it out for you with my Mum's phone and my 4700 and get back to you.

MacBriar

MacBriar
08-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Mark
I had a go with my Dad's V545 with Orange PAYG sim and was able to download mail via pop3 and imap with Messanging. I was also able to do an RSS update via Egress. I would assume that this means you can access the Intenet generally via Orange PAYG GPRS and are not restricted to WAP based access.

Hope this helps

MacBriar

Mark Kenepp
08-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Mark
I had a go with my Dad's V545 with Orange PAYG sim and was able to download mail via pop3 and imap with Messanging. I was also able to do an RSS update via Egress. I would assume that this means you can access the Intenet generally via Orange PAYG GPRS and are not restricted to WAP based access.

Hope this helps

MacBriar

That's good to know.

I don't remember the reason why I initially decided on O2 for my service over there (it was BT Cellnet when I got my first plan). I know I tried one service, either Orange or Vodafone, and it worked on the 1800 bandwidth. At the time I only had a phone that worked on 1900/900 do ultimately I chose O2.

I think I will do some research into Orange this trip.

Thanks again