View Full Version : Using mobile phone as w/less modem

PocketChris
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm the owner of a shiny new HP iPAQ 3715.

I have a Sony Ericsson T630 mobile phone. Is it possible to use the BT connection between the two and use my mobile as a wireless modem for getting mail/surfing the web?

I have no problem accessing the files on my phone via BT, but when I try to connect to the net whilst connected to it, no luck at all. Maybe I need IP addresses and stuff from Vodafone (my mobile phone provider)?

Please be gentle with me - I've only been fiddling with my PPC for a couple of days!

The PDF manual doesn't seem much help, and the manual for my mobile is very cagey about it's net capabilities...

Nurhisham Hussein
08-16-2005, 02:03 AM
It's not really an issue with either your iPaq or your phone - you really need to talk to Vodaphone. Specifically, you need to get a data subscription, and then the specific GPRS/EDGE/EVDO/3G (whatever it happens to be) settings for your phone to connect through your provider. After that, it's just a matter of pairing your PDA with your phone.

Good luck!

freitasm
08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Check with Vodafone that you do have data enabled on your account. Then follow the steps on http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1477 for step-by-step instructions.

Make sure your phone is configured with a GPRS account to access a valid APN either "internet" or "pp.vodafone.co.uk" (without the quotes of course). Username pasword should be "web".

The number to dial is *99# (for the default configuration) or *99***[x]# where [x] is the configuration number on your phone.

If you are still having problems, make sure that your Pocket PC is configured to send the APN within the Init String (Connections | Advanced). And add a reset (Z; ) command too. The string would be:

Z;+CGDCONT=1,,"internet"

(this time with the quotes).

Good luck.