View Full Version : My Pocket PC Road Trip

MacBriar
08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi all
Just returned from a week long road trip down to Achill Island, County Mayo, Ireland. This was my first holiday in a long time and the first time I have gone away and relied only on my PocketPC. I was going down for some relaxation and to take lots of photos. To that end I took;

HX4700 with 512 SD (podcasts, ebooks, audiobooks), 4GB CF card (music for the drive)

Smartdisk Fotochute 20GB OTG hard drive (to back up photos and keep a backup of my programs and serial numbers in case of a hard reset)

Dazzle 12 in 1 card USB 2 card reader

Pocket Loupe (I only use the Canon RAW format), ereader, msreader, shanghai essentials, pocket esword, pocket music, egress.

Motorola V3 to contact home and for GPRS

Canon EOS300D, two lenses, assorted filters, charger and tripod and 3 256 MB CF cards for photos.

I found that the full screen interface of Pocket Music was great while driving in the car (5 hours down, 5 hours up again plus time touring the area) I didn't get bored with the music I just put it on shuffle, I was able to catch up on podcasts and listen to the Sign of Four.

I used a combination of Pocket Loupe and the Fotochute + card reader when my three 256 MB CF cards were full, with Pocket Loupe I was able to review the days shots at night and then I used the Fotochute to back the cards up so I could wipe the card for the next day.

Egress and GPRS made sure that I was able to keep up with all the technology sites I usually visit, and GPRS and Messanging let me check my emails.

Ereader and some of the books from the recent Ereader promo helped me pass the time while having lunch and coffee or at night some of the black stuff (Guiness), however I got some odd looks of course sitting reading on the Pocket PC. 8O

The only hitch the entire week came when the trial on Pocket Loupe expired but hey I was able to buy it from Glass Lantern but I'll say this GPRS makes for slow ecommerce ! :D

I came home about 5 pounds heavier (too many full Irish breakfasts and pints of stout), a bit more relaxed and with about 350 images to sort through. Finally I proved to myself that it is possible to totally rely on the Pocket PC for entertainment, information and image viewing while on the move.

Anyway enough rambling here's a pic of some of the kit I took.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/assets/common/FileObject/jpg.gif travel_kit.jpg (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/11443/travel_kit.jpg) (Size: 61.0 KB)

MacBriar

SteveHoward999
08-16-2005, 01:55 AM
I proved to myself that, provided I don't have to do any work, I can do all I need with PocketPC ... in other words, I get all the email ,web surfing, news, music, book reading, games, calendar etc. My laptop died for a few days earlier this year and the PPC was my only available computer. It's a litle slow for typing and web, but definitley up to the task.

--