View Full Version : HTC To Build Treo 670?

Janak Parekh
08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050811A5021.html' target='_blank'>http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050811A5021.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Palm is likely to outsource the production of its next generation of Treo-series smartphones, built using Microsoft’s operating system, to Taiwan-based High Tech Computer (HTC), with volume shipments to begin in the first quarter of next year, according to an August 10 report from the Chinese-language Commercial Times. HTC will manufacture the new Treo smartphones on an ODM basis, instead of the OEM contract the company received from Palm for the production of the Treo 650 smartphone, the paper said."</i><br /><br />While this is not an official announcement from either HTC or Palm, based on the news last week I'm not surprised. HTC seems to be rapidly cornering the Windows Mobile phone market, both Smartphones and Pocket PC Phones.

KTamas
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
What is ODM and what is the difference between ODM and OEM? :)

Darius Wey
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM

ODM: Original Design Manufacturer
OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer

ODM is more to do with the design and manufacturing of prototypes and base models based on the client's wishes and specifications. OEM, on the other hand, is associated with the post-manufacturing modifications - that is, the branding, software/hardware tweaks, resale, etc.

PdaAddict
08-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have the specs for Treo 670? I am especially concerned with the screen resolution. If its a 240 by 240, I am staying with my Treo 650 or will switch to the rumored Cobalt version.

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2005, 04:56 PM
How is an HTC device running WMsomething a Palm? It's not their hardware, it's not their software, it's just their logo?

dorelse
08-11-2005, 04:59 PM
How is an HTC device running WMsomething a Palm? It's not their hardware, it's not their software, it's just their logo?

Well, following that logic then, the iPaq 19xx series weren't HP's either then right? HTC designed &amp; built them, HP just slapped their label on them....same thing.

Its a a Palm, Inc. device running WM 2005.

gibson042
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm interested to see the applications and "look &amp; feel" they bundle with the 670. Will they port standard PalmOS programs over, or will they go all the way and embrace Windows Mobile completely?

Jon Westfall
08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm interested if this might finally be the killer to the "The Treo is just so much easier to use than any windows mobile device" argument, since most of those focus on the hardware usability, vs. the software. Since WM 2005 improves 1-handed operation, unless the design of the Treo 670 more resembles the iPAQ 6315 than the Treo 650... :roll:

ADBrown
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have the specs for Treo 670? I am especially concerned with the screen resolution. If its a 240 by 240, I am staying with my Treo 650 or will switch to the rumored Cobalt version.

From the photos, it looks to be 240 x 240.

dorelse
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm interested if this might finally be the killer to the "The Treo is just so much easier to use than any windows mobile device" argument, since most of those focus on the hardware usability, vs. the software. Since WM 2005 improves 1-handed operation, unless the design of the Treo 670 more resembles the iPAQ 6315 than the Treo 650... :roll:

For me, its more the Integration of the Hardware &amp; Software, than just hardware usability vs. software.

The marriage between the 2 is what makes the Treo shine...once WM5 is out (and if its well designed for 1 handed ops, as we've been told), then I really think the hardware design's can move forward again on the PPC &amp; PPCPE devices with the varity of manufactures competing for the best solution...the OS will support flexibilty &amp; increased productivity.

That is my hope anyway.

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Well, following that logic then, the iPaq 19xx series weren't HP's either then right? HTC designed &amp; built them, HP just slapped their label on them....same thing.

Yea, but Palm is associated with an OS, or was. If Apple had Dell whitebox a machine with XP on it, would it be a Mac?

huangzhinong
08-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Yea, but Palm is associated with an OS, or was. If Apple had Dell whitebox a machine with XP on it, would it be a Mac?

Are you serious? Your analog doesn't make sense. APPLE own the MAC os, but Palm DOESN'T OWN POS. Palm and PALMsource are different companies. PALM can choose any OS as they like since they are only a hardware maker.

Dell can choose any OS too. Don't tell me you didn't see a DELL linux PC.

jproudfo
08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Are you serious? Your analog doesn't make sense. APPLE own the MAC os, but Palm DOESN'T OWN POS. Palm and PALMsource are different companies. PALM can choose any OS as they like since they are only a hardware maker.

You and I may understand that, but do you think the average consumer is going to figure it out? I tend to think that this is going to cause confusion for a lot of people.

inteller
08-11-2005, 07:41 PM
wow, I think i see my next phone.

ID64
08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I've recently switched to Treo 650 myself. I have to say that I am using it much more effectively than my all previous PPC's Phone. I am not taking stylus away at all. Maybe, once to work with older Palm programms. Signal strenght and voice quality is superb. It has it's own drawbacks and glitches, but overall - I am much more happy with it than with JAM or ETEN. About 670... I am not sure how WM 2005 will handle one hand operation. I hate hit Start button all the time I need to run some programms. I've seen that they will be softkeys and that might make it more usefull. I am more excited about Cobalt than WM 2005. My 2C

huangzhinong
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I've recently switched to Treo 650 myself. I have to say that I am using it much more effectively than my all previous PPC's Phone. I am not taking stylus away at all. Maybe, once to work with older Palm programms. Signal strenght and voice quality is superb. It has it's own drawbacks and glitches, but overall - I am much more happy with it than with JAM or ETEN. About 670... I am not sure how WM 2005 will handle one hand operation. I hate hit Start button all the time I need to run some programms. I've seen that they will be softkeys and that might make it more usefull. I am more excited about Cobalt than WM 2005. My 2C

If you are more interested with POS than PPC, I will agree with you. But why there are always some people who are excited with something never born or existed, like cobalt POS?

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2005, 09:16 PM

You and I may understand that, but do you think the average consumer is going to figure it out? I tend to think that this is going to cause confusion for a lot of people.

And that's really where I'm coming from. Even after they split, how many Palms ran something other than POS. The public doesn't know the diff. I'm sure a lot of us are still fighting "Is that a new Palm?". We're going to have to say, "Uh, yea, kinda"

ID64
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM

If you are more interested with POS than PPC, I will agree with you. But why there are always some people who are excited with something never born or existed, like cobalt POS?

I am assuming by POS you mean Palm Operating System? :lol:

I am excited about anything new that comes in compact form, mainly because I am in the business of developing games for handheld deiveces. And for the same reason I am excited about Cobalt, because I've seen a little bit more that you can find on the Web :) I really hope, that Windows powered Treo will have the same level of functionality as the existing 650. In the end - I really don't care what OS my device is running as long as it does what I want and reliable. So, far Treo 650 serves me the best.

Gex
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I think HTC also manufactured the 650 and 600?

PdaAddict
08-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I also have recently switched from I-mate Jam (and Siemens SX66 before that) to Treo-650 and I am too much happier than I was with Jam or Blue Angel. I do wish it had WM on it and Wifi, but I love that screen, the keyboard is superb and I don't remember the last time I had to use stylus.

ID64
08-11-2005, 10:05 PM

Yes

ID64
08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I also have recently switched from I-mate Jam (and Siemens SX66 before that) to Treo-650 and I am too much happier than I was with Jam or Blue Angel. I do wish it had WM on it and Wifi, but I love that screen, the keyboard is superb and I don't remember the last time I had to use stylus.

Screen is simply amazing! It's like white-white paper with rich, colorfull text and icons on it. It was actually the biggest selling point to me :) Only one annoying thing on it is that I can't use my BT headset while using BT GPS :evil:

marcol
08-12-2005, 09:47 AM

Yes

IIRC, palmOne switched to HTC for the 650.

marcol
08-12-2005, 09:56 AM

ODM: Original Design Manufacturer
OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer

ODM is more to do with the design and manufacturing of prototypes and base models based on the client's wishes and specifications. OEM, on the other hand, is associated with the post-manufacturing modifications - that is, the branding, software/hardware tweaks, resale, etc.

So OEMs don't manufacture things? It seems like a rather poor use of language if that's the case! It's also not what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

ctmagnus
08-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Not too sure about the accuracy, but I found this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lis186/33921258/) of the Treo 670 on flickr.

KTamas
08-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Not too sure about the accuracy, but I found this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lis186/33921258/) of the Treo 670 on flickr.
This was one of the very first (before these days' biiiig hype) leaked treo 670 pictures.

Darius Wey
08-22-2005, 02:46 AM
So OEMs don't manufacture things? It seems like a rather poor use of language if that's the case! It's also not what Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

They do and they don't. You're part right, but it depends on the context.