View Full Version : Free ebook sources?

terrypin
08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I made a couple of bookmarks many months ago but can't reach either of them now, so I think they must now be dead links. They were sources of free ebooks, and I recall had a good selection (not just the public domain stuff).

http://www.greylib.align.ru/libaction.htm
http://www.greylib.align.ru/libaction.htm

Anyone know of any other such sources for modern titles? I'm keen to get an ebook version of John Le Carrés 'Absolute Friends' by Friday night. I recently started reading the hardback copy I was given at Christmas, but am going on a short walking holiday, and won't finish the book in time. My rucksack has to hold everything. As I already have the book, reluctant to buy an electronic version!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

rhmorrison
08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Cross posting is a NO-NO :twak: Free ebooks (not just public domain) means? ... ILLEGAL REPRODUCTION OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL :bad-words:

Owning the book does not give you the rights to reproduce it without the authors permission, e.g. no photocopies, no electronic reproduction...

ADBrown
08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Cross posting is a NO-NO :twak: Free ebooks (not just public domain) means? ... ILLEGAL REPRODUCTION OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL :bad-words:

Owning the book does not give you the rights to reproduce it without the authors permission, e.g. no photocopies, no electronic reproduction...

Actually, it does. Under "Fair Use" in the US, and similar statutes in some other countries, you have every right to fold, spindle, and manipulate items you own in pretty much any way you like, as long as you don't copy and resell them.

Don't Panic!
08-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Actually, it does. Under "Fair Use" in the US, and similar statutes in some other countries, you have every right to fold, spindle, and manipulate items you own in pretty much any way you like, as long as you don't copy and resell them.The key word is "You" for your own use. Creating a copy of a copyrigthed work and placing it on a website for other people to download can hardly be considered fair use. If "You" make a copy for yourself that's fine. If you think you have the right to use someone elses copy just because you own the book you're not thinking straight. "You" did not create that copy for your fair use now did you?

ADBrown
08-12-2005, 12:11 AM
The key word is "You" for your own use. Creating a copy of a copyrigthed work and placing it on a website for other people to download can hardly be considered fair use. If "You" make a copy for yourself that's fine. If you think you have the right to use someone elses copy just because you own the book you're not thinking straight. "You" did not create that copy for your fair use now did you?

No, but that hardly matters. It's never been held as illegal to download copyrighted materials if you have the originals, period.

In any event, that question is irrelevant to what I was originally refuting, which is the idea that you have no rights to format-shift something that you own. Under US law, and to a lesser extent laws in Canada, the UK, Australia, and elsewhere, you have the right to reproduce copyrighted works as long as you're not doing harm to the integrity of the work or its financial value. Hence, copying for resale, illegal; photocopying or scanning for a personal ebook, legal, even if you make a hundred copies.

PocketPC Addict
08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Not that this helps with this particular title, but here is what I do. If I am looking for a particular title in ebook format and it's not available at Amazon, etc. I get a near match. :) I just don't read that many paper books any more except for programming manuals and reference books.

Taking a page from the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need." :beer:

SteveHoward999
08-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Under US law, and to a lesser extent laws in Canada, the UK, Australia, and elsewhere, you have the right to reproduce copyrighted works as long as you're not doing harm to the integrity of the work or its financial value. Hence, copying for resale, illegal; photocopying or scanning for a personal ebook, legal, even if you make a hundred copies.

Not sure about US or anywhere else, but in the UK even potocopying is not legal. Copyrighted material is protected from being copied by copyright law. There are loopholes, for instance it is OK to use images from a web site ("the public domain") for a school project, but not OK to take that same image and use it in a piece of software or a book that you plan to sell.

But also - whilst it is OK to make a copy of a CD, DVD, book or whatever for personal use, it is illegal to distribute or make available copies, whether for free or by sale, to other people. This is the same kind of law that makes it illegal to put on a public showing of a movie without first getting a license and/or permission from the owners of the film's copyright, but it is OK for you to rip the DVD of the movie to watch on your PDA.

--

ADBrown
08-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Not sure about US or anywhere else, but in the UK even potocopying is not legal. Copyrighted material is protected from being copied by copyright law. There are loopholes, for instance it is OK to use images from a web site ("the public domain") for a school project, but not OK to take that same image and use it in a piece of software or a book that you plan to sell.

The US equivalent is a bit more friendly. The basic principle is that if you copy a thing for pretty much any personal use, or for a variety of public uses, then it's perfectly alright. Hence, you can cheerfully photocopy to your heart's content.

Lex
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
University of Virginia's FREE e-Book site:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/