View Full Version : A new convert

samsonh
08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
About 6 months ago, I purchased a treo 600 from ebay... for around $400 Canadian. I then went on to unlock it... loaded it with software, got myself a data & phone plan and was good to go. Loved it, had everything I needed, phone, calendar, tasks, email, etc... Unfortunately, about two weeks ago, the screen died on me. A large portion of the screen became very very distorted (yellowish in color). Very very angry and without warranty, I switched to the ppc.

Recently, I purchased a hx2410 from my local Future Shop with a 3 year extended warranty. Its got a good set of features: a QVGA Screen, wifi, bluetooth, 64mb rom, 64mb ram, flipcover, speaker, 3.5mm stereo jack, and irda (non consumer grade, not powerful enough for a remote). To my estimates, you can get about 5 hours of battery life on it, with wifi or multimedia.

The pocket pc is great! Although it is unfair to compare a pda to a smartphone, the operating system (windows mobile 2003 se) blows palm os 5 away. Things like multitasking, an actual file system :p, and extensibility are very good. The user interface is also very eye pleasing.. I can't say the same about palms, their ui looks very dated. I have to say though, with the treo 600 having only 160x160 resolution, they didnt really have much to work with in the first place... However, apart from asthetics, I find palm os more user intuative and much less complex.

The multimedia features of the ppc is great. Movies are good to watch, sound is excellent (No more 2.5mm jacks!), and better selection of games. Multimedia on the treo 600 is almost non existant. Appart from Pocket Tunes, games and movies on the treo 600 suck. (Note: I did buy the treo 600 for pim, email,and phone, not for multimedia... It would have been nice though).

There is an excellent pocket pc development comunity that is catching up to palms (its not there yet unfortunately, palm still has better productivity programs). I miss excellent software like Snappermail, Documents to Go, and Beyond Contacts. The pocket pc applications are good just not as good as the palm counterparts.

As much as like the pocket pc, I have several concerns. First, for transcriber, how do you write a period? Second, how do you hide folders? I want to do this because applications like adobe acrobat and notes, when selecting a folder to save to and open, lists all folders on my sd card. This is annoying to have go through all my folders and select the right folder. I can't hide folders with reseo explorer. It is also kind of weird that you need to allot program and storage space. In palm os, whatever is left after all the programs is your program space.

Other than those few things the pocket pc is godlike! In fact, I wrote this using calligrapher on my ppc! Cheers.