View Full Version : Software I want for my Jornada 568 .....

keithkiss
08-11-2005, 08:12 AM
What is the best software to do these?

- I want to be able to download my hotmail email.
- I want to convert multiple videos to put on to the PDA.
(if the software has brightness and contrast settings that would be great also)
- is it possible to get over 512 mb of memory (is there any CF 1 microdrives?)

rhmorrison
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Assuming that hotmail has POP3 access you can use the built-in mail application. All you have to do is fill in the account information just as you would for any email program. Then connect to the internet via ActiveSync on your home/office PC by insertting the Jornada into it's cradle. It all happens automatically.

There have been a number of discussions on how do this here. Try doing a search with 'convert' and 'video' as keywords. There are numerous FREEWARE and COMMERCIAL programs for doing this. What you want to do is reformat to 320 x 240 (the size of your PDA screen) which greatly reduces the size of the video.

To view videos it depends on their format. The built-in Microsoft media player works fine for a lot of formats. The FREEWARE Beta player is very popular and works well on the Jornada 568 (which I also own).

I have a 4 GB CF card in my Jornada 568. I paid only 228 € for this about a year ago. At todays prices you should be able to get one for between $200 and $250. A 1 GB CF card should be around $50! At current prices I would personally recommend a CF card over a microdrive since they are about the same price and a CF card is normally more durable and lasts longer.

keithkiss
08-11-2005, 08:44 AM
hotmail is a webbased email service.
its probably the most popular free web email service around.
unfortunately years ago it was bought by Microsoft.

www.hotmail.com

Also, how did you get a 4 gig card is it easy to get a 4g compact flash 1 card?

rhmorrison
08-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Also, how did you get a 4 gig card is it easy to get a 4g compact flash 1 card?
Null Problemo!

But seriously, I just used the price comparison sites on the internet and found the cheapest 4 GB card that I could find (waited until the price was under 250 €). For example, right now one of the cheapest prices is available from a well known electronics dealer here in Karlsruhe called Jakob Electronik (http://www.jacob-elektronik.de) where they are currently offering a 4GB Compact Flash Toshiba (http://www.jacob-elektronik.de/Speicher_Compact-Flash_(Typ1)_4GB_Compact_Flash_Toshiba_artnr_132286.html?SID=acb549e088d816a2c63b1ee0a1f3d53a) for ONLY 199.70 €.

The one that I purchased is a Kingston 4 GB ELITE PRO HIGH SPEED which just happened to be on special sale at the time I bought it (50% off at the time). I have been very happy with it so far since it is significantly faster than the other CF cards that I had (mostly SanDisk) and I haven't had any problems with it (yet).

keithkiss
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
but the jornada only has compact flash I

I thought microdrives only work with compact flast II

rhmorrison
08-11-2005, 01:35 PM
but the jornada only has compact flash I
I thought microdrives only work with compact flast II
YES, that is true.
And, NO - I don't know of any Type I microdrives. They apparently need the extra 1,5 mm to fit the little suckers inside the case.

That aside, Compact Flash is the way to go.

I don't even think that the Jornada can handle larger than a 4 GB card, but since everything larger than 4 GB is not yet cost effective - WHO CARES!!!

Do some shopping for a couple of weeks to find yourself a good namebrand, high speed, reasonably priced 4 GB CF card (Type I) and you will have plenty of storage for Video, Audio, eBooks, Applications and Data.