View Full Version : help - what is MSVC.dll? what is it for?

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 03:43 PM
what is msvc.dll for? what is being used for? what app uses this?

it is just that, until recently, MemMaid has been flagging a specific registry as "dead" - and this entry points to this file...

however, whenever i delete this entry, it keeps coming back - it would mean that an app is creating it every time i soft reset

unfortunately, even with the CLSID i cannot pin which app

any advice?

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Have you ever installed Microsoft Voice Command?

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Have you ever installed Microsoft Voice Command?

i did guess that MSVC might be "microsoft voice command," but nowhere in the life of my device that i have installed it... hhhhmmmm...

i did try a google on "msvc.dll" and all i get are those related to vb programming or something...

:(

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Voice Command was just a hunch. Anyway, I'll look up the source in a few hours and see if I can get you a few details.

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Voice Command was just a hunch. Anyway, I'll look up the source in a few hours and see if I can get you a few details.

thanks!!!

if you need the CLSID, just let me know

Darius Wey
08-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Spill the beans...

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 03:01 AM

Spill the beans...

here you go:

59E3B320-CB2A-11d9-9661-000021DEB428

and it points to msvc.dll

--- whatever i do i cannot find this in Google

Darius Wey
08-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Are you able to provide a list of applications you've installed and uninstalled through the device's entire lifecycle (well, since the last hard reset)?

I may have limited the source down to a few applications, but I'm still not 100% certain yet.

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Are you able to provide a list of applications you've installed and uninstalled through the device's entire lifecycle (well, since the last hard reset)?

I may have limited the source down to a few applications, but I'm still not 100% certain yet.

thanks for looking it up...

well, the problem started when i installed/uninstalled the following apps:

- GS Player ( <--- not sure whether the problem appeared before or after installing this app )
- Cash Organizer Q & M Companion ( <--- not sure whether the problem appeared before or after installing this app )
- Kaisoft's MP3 Alarm Pro .Net ( <--- this is my suspect )
- Burr Oak's MP3 Alarm Pro
- SuperAlert for WM2003

what do you think??

Darius Wey
08-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Okay, the apps I had in mind weren't the culprits, nor is GSPlayer which you just suggested. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the other applications you listed, so I can't look into it any further at this stage.

Do you have a backup file you can restore to?

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 08:41 AM
oh - is that so?

ah - anyway, we really cant help it...

so, i guess that instead of restoring from a backup, i guess that it would be better to start again from scratch? until recently, there have been many problems

thanks anyway for taking the time to help me with this - i really appreciate it

Darius Wey
08-06-2005, 10:06 AM
so, i guess that instead of restoring from a backup, i guess that it would be better to start again from scratch? until recently, there have been many problems

Well, common practice is to backup before installing a program, just in case something goes wrong. That way, you can easily restore it to its previous state. I know - it's a pain to remember, but the benefits pay off.

No problem. :)

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Well, common practice is to backup before installing a program, just in case something goes wrong. That way, you can easily restore it to its previous state. I know - it's a pain to remember, but the benefits pay off.

No problem. :)

actually i made the previous post in the sense that i would like to at least rid myself of P+ (2.5) - start again anew...

but i think to myself - i guess its not worth the effort to reinstall all the programs back, and customize the settings, and all...

but no worries, i have a full backup set (including BIS) for July 17 (i make FULL backups every week) - just before P+ 3.0 has been installed

i guess i have to make due with that...

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 03:21 PM

Spill the beans...

here you go:

59E3B320-CB2A-11d9-9661-000021DEB428

and it points to msvc.dll

--- whatever i do i cannot find this in Google

funny thing is that while i was restoring from a July 17 backup set - and i was searching through the registry...

this particular CLSID is actually owned by PocketMind PocketMusic - pointing to pmtodayp.dll... and it would seem that when i uninstalled this app for GSPlayer - somehow this CLSID suddenly pointed to msvc.dll (which never existed)

what im curious right now is how come this CLSID still remains if i have already uninstalled PocketMusic???

hhhmmm...