View Full Version : New X50V with DLink DI-624 WiFi 802.11b/g and WPA-PSK

AKAJohnDoe
08-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Can't get it to work. Finds the WPA-PSK network, but won't connect. The X50V works fine with another WEP network. The checkbox for the 802.1x security cannot be unchecked (like it is on my working laptop).

Where do I look?

Xymus
08-02-2005, 10:51 PM
You should try the Odyssey client, it has to be enabled in Settings/Connections first and then it can replace almost totally the default windows control.

Since I use it, my x50v has no problem connecting to my WPA-PSK protected network :D

hope this helps!

Darius Wey
08-03-2005, 12:52 AM
This thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41137) may be of interest to you. For what it's worth, Jason and I, who both have X50v's with ROM A04, have had troubles connecting to our local WPA-PSK-encrypted network. Jason has a Belkin Pre-N router while I've got the exact same router as you have (i.e. DI-624).

AKAJohnDoe
08-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Yes, I have A04 as well, and cannot get the DLink DI-624 to work with the X50V.

As for the Odyssey client; I cannot find WPA-PSK, only WPA...?

Xymus
08-03-2005, 01:52 AM
You're right it isn't written WPA-PSK however I have it set at WPA TKIP with a Pre-Shared Key (PSK), when my router has a WPA-PSK encryption and it works. Now, I just have no idea what is the difference between TKIP and AES!?

AKAJohnDoe
08-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Cool! Seems to work! I detect other networks, I get prompted for the key (but can just tap to go on since it already has it), and I connect as Internet rather than work. All sound normal? Also, I just leave it enabled (Odyssey) and use the Wireless Power button to turn it on and off, right? Thanks!

Xymus
08-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Everything sounds normal, I still get those popups... but they disappear after a few seconds.

I'm glad it worked! :mrgreen:

AKAJohnDoe
08-07-2005, 02:11 AM
I'm fast approaching end game with Dell's X50V.

The configuration that works will not continue to work, with no changes at all, for a full 24 hour period.

That is, a working wireless connection is stopped via the hardware button, the PDA is placed in the charger, in the morning the wireless connection is restarted with the button, usually connects, but will not work for applications. Usually something about a proxy needed, which of course it it not.

Might just shelf it until WM 5.0 arrives. Pretty useless as is.

del1313
08-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Using the Odyssey client I was able to get on my WPA2-Personal network on my Linksys WRT54G. I was unable to get on with the Dell WLAN Utility. Also, if you need to specify a passphrase for your WPA-PSK network, just select WPA and then uncheck the "Authenticate using 802.1x" box and it will let you enter your passphrase.

I'm running the A04 firmware

AKAJohnDoe
08-07-2005, 05:37 AM
I have had it working with my home network and with my work network (Both IM and IE). The home network is WPA-PSK, the work only WEP.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to stay configured.

Right now, for example, I can get the home network for IE but not IM, and that is only after having to completely reconfigure.

Very frustrating.

AKAJohnDoe
08-07-2005, 06:17 AM
OK, I just hard reset (again), reconfigured Odyssy for the home WPA-PSK network, and have IE and IM working.

No programs installed yet.

Signed out, exited, and then ended IE and IM in Settings/Memeory/Running Programs.

Left Odyssy client Enabled.

Pressed the button to turn off the WiFi.

Will check again in the AM by pressing the button to turn on the radio, waiting for the green bars showing network connectivity, then retrying both IE and IM.

Does this sound like I am following correct procedures?

AKAJohnDoe
08-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Seems to work so far. Very puzzling. I believe I will keep the configuration constant for a few days to try to figure this out.

AKAJohnDoe
08-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Nope. 100% repeatable. Odyssey works fine on my home 802.11b WPA-PSK, once i take it to work and configure a second network in Odyssey for the 802.11b WEP network (which works fine), the original home network will no longer work. Is there any software out there that works for configuring multiple networks on a PPC?

Cybrid
08-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Yes! odyssey.....you have to simply setup different "profiles. tap
command>scan>....follw the prompts and give it a unique name. repeat for any and all commonly used ap's with the correct settings.
To use....open odyssey and select the appropriate AP from the drop down menu.
I use it all the time. I have work, home, Dad's and a default which I can routinely switch through with little or no additional configuration.

AKAJohnDoe
08-20-2005, 05:34 PM
I understand the need for different profiles in Odyssey. I have had these set up since day 1.

However, there is definitely something that crosses between the profiles and interferes with my ability to switch back and forth.

Via trial and error, I have found that if I go into each profile, select Commands, then Forget temporary trust (again, for every profile) then connect to the profile I wish to use, it appears to be somewhat more reliable; however, still less that 60% reliability.

Since I have little difficulty connecting to the WEP network and more difficulty connecting to the WPA-PSK network, I have to presume it is a problem with one or both of these: The Odyssey implementation of WPA-PSK; the wireless NIC in the X50V; the access point used in the WPA-PSK network.

Seems the easiest to eliminate would be the AP. I'll probably try to find some buddy with another brand that is configured WPA-PSK and try it out. I've read some posts about issues with the DLink DI-624 I have.

Cybrid
08-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I understand the need for different profiles in Odyssey. I have had these set up since day 1.

However, there is definitely something that crosses between the profiles and interferes with my ability to switch back and forth.

Via trial and error, I have found that if I go into each profile, select Commands, then Forget temporary trust (again, for every profile) then connect to the profile I wish to use, it appears to be somewhat more reliable; however, still less that 60% reliability.

Since I have little difficulty connecting to the WEP network and more difficulty connecting to the WPA-PSK network, I have to presume it is a problem with one or both of these: The Odyssey implementation of WPA-PSK; the wireless NIC in the X50V; the access point used in the WPA-PSK network.

Seems the easiest to eliminate would be the AP. I'll probably try to find some buddy with another brand that is configured WPA-PSK and try it out. I've read some posts about issues with the DLink DI-624 I have. This is a long shot but I've found that my X50v will occasionally keep a "death grip" on ip addresses and gateways. Are you using something to refresh ip's? See if it's holding onto previous gateway's and not releasing.

AKAJohnDoe
08-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I have not implemented anything like that intentionally; tried to keep the X50V very generic as I'm really waiting for October with WM5. The only software I have installed is Spb Pocket Plus, Resco Utility package, and Adobe Reader.

Cybrid
08-22-2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.lincomatic.com/wireless/software.html

PocketDHCP V0.22
Try this, when you are seemingly connected and cannot get on try to release and renew your ip.
I'm willing to bet that the Dell X50V is not taking good ip's from the new AP.

AKAJohnDoe
08-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I do not think it actaully connects in this state.

I watched Odyssey and it loops between searching for AP and Authenticating. Seems more like it's not binding.

Cybrid
08-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I do not think it actaully connects in this state.

I watched Odyssey and it loops between searching for AP and Authenticating. Seems more like it's not binding.Does it stay stable if only your home network is configured?
Cause the symptoms you describe match the trouble I've had.*Though I'm not 100% positive.
Any way just try it. the software is a simple executable.
If it isn't helpful. delete it after.
If you are willing to risk a rom upgrade....A05 is out....
There's other 3rd party WIFI software. PocketWinc, Kasuei's hitchhiker, Wififofum. Perhaps they will be more stable comparatively...

AKAJohnDoe
08-25-2005, 04:46 AM
If you are willing to risk a rom upgrade....A05 is out.....

Yes, I've downloaded it...but have not installed it. My X50V came from Dell with A04. Ive been reading about issues with the DLink DI-624 and A05, plus it's only a few more weeks and WM5 will be out, so I'm thinking I may wait and upgrade once.

So far, I've been able to clear it, but have not had enough consistency to determine the sequence that accomplishes this.