View Full Version : Synchronizing with Linux

BarePaw
08-02-2005, 04:12 AM
I recently finished my first build from scratch. The build went fine, but I couldn't get Windows XP to install. After several problems, I went to the local computer shop for help. He told me that you can't install Windows XP from a disk that has been used on another computer. He also said that you can't buy the full version of home edition anymore because Microsoft wants to sell you the hardware with it or make you buy XP Pro. I thought he was feeding me a line until I tried looking for the home edition myself with no luck. Now I'm ready to say screw the corporate ****s and go with another operating system.
To make a long story longer, windows is the only OS that I've used (I've dabbled with Macs a bit, but not that much). If I go with another operating system like Linux, can I still synch my Pocket PC? What are the other options for operating systems? What other issues might I run into? Thanks.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2005, 05:09 AM
SynCE (http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/) is the best-known Linux-Pocket PC sync tool. I have no idea how well it works, however. Do note that Linux is going to be a learning curve that you'll have to invest in, both from a sync perspective and a general use perspective. You may find it rewarding, but make sure to budget time.

As for XP, when you build your own PC you should buy the OEM version of the operating system. You can't buy it separately, but you usually can with the purchase of a system component, like a hard drive. That said, I don't see why you can't get a full retail package. Maybe they only sell XP Pro at retail? You should certainly be able to buy an XP Home Upgrade CD, and if you have a previous legitimate Windows CD it should install.

--janak

Zidane
08-02-2005, 05:55 AM
If you're going with Linux, SynCE is definitely the way to go. The last time I checked, they just got synchronization support for Kontact (the KDE PIM). They also have synchronization for Evolution (Gnome's PIM). I don't know if it's able to sync emails or tasks, yet. But it definitely had support for the calendar and contacts.

What's nice is that SynCE has a few features built into it that even ActiveSync doesn't have.