View Full Version : Adapting normal PDF eBooks for PDA use

PPC BLD
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Txt or Rtf books are no problem to read on a PDA because the text wraps to the next line without scrolling. However, normal pdfs require scrolling to the right to read each line, then back for the next. Is there a way to adapt these PDFs in some way (a very short conversion) so that they are better suited for PDA reading? Or.. is there an ebook reader that can wrap the lines?

Thx

smileyguy
07-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Are you transferring the PDF's through ActiveSync? I'm not sure about encrypted ebooks, but on non-encrypted ebooks Reader will tag the book to allow the text to reflow on your PDA.

Huisie
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
If you have Acrobat (the full program, not the Reader), you can adapt them very easily, though the process isn't much good for graphics or pics.

1. Open your .pdf in Acrobat.
2. In MenuBar, choose "Advanced" > "Accessibility" > "Add tags to Document".
3. It then does it automatically, so be sure you want to do it, or save your an unedited version beforehand.
4. It gives you a chance to review your tagged .pdf, which isn't as complicated as it first appears - I've found I haven't had to make any corrections, so far, as Adobe does a very good job.
6. Then just Activesync .pdf to your PPC

I don't know if any other .PDF apps can do the same, only worked with Adobe.

uwaku
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
You can also copy the full text, paste it into a TXT file, and read it that way. I use this process to convert PDFs to LIT, since MS Reader is so easy. Only problem is that there are no carriage returns/line/para breaks. I'll try the "tagged RTF" option with this process & see if it helps.

PPC BLD
07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
The documents are copywritten and I do have the full adobe acrobat. I will try the steps to 'add tags' as recommended by huisie. Thanks

I don't want to copy the full text into notepad and resave because I'd like to keep at least some of the original formatting, and the font.