View Full Version : BackupBuddy for Windows Mobile Enters Beta Testing

Janak Parekh
07-27-2005, 05:20 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bluenomad.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.bluenomad.com/</a><br /><br /></div>Blue Nomad Software, publishers of the famous PalmOS backup solution BackupBuddy, has decided to join the Windows Mobile bandwagon. They've posted the following announcement on their site:<br /><br /><div class="quote"> <span class="quote">Quote:</span> Blue Nomad announces a new Beta version of BackupBuddy for Windows Mobile available for Windows CE devices! If you have a Pocket PC, or Windows CE SmartPhone and would like to beta test, please send an email to [email protected] and we will send you Beta testing information. </div><br /><br />If you're interested, you might want to shoot them an email. It's awesome that a number of stalwart PalmOS developers have been developing Pocket PC variants of their solutions as of late. 8)

lapchinj
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I guess they had to come over sooner or later to where the action is. They have nice software although I havn't seen it lately but Sprite is real solid so BackupBuddy will have to come up with something to woo users. Unless they see so many of their customers leaving the Palm platform that they have enough of their old customer base to make a living on the PPC platform :wink:

Jeff-

huangzhinong
07-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Better than never, although WM2005 doesn't need backup anymore.

Ed Hansberry
07-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Not for normal battery loss, but for those occasional spontaneous hard resets (I've had 2 in 5 years) or for horrible system corruption by a bad software/driver install, backups are still handy. Or, for getting a replacement device if your old one dies.

Jeremiah
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
It's only beta 1, but so far it doesn't sound too impressive to me:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4575

WyattEarp
07-27-2005, 11:35 PM

As stated before backups are always necesary. Nothing is full-proof. Flash can always erase one way or another and any one who thinks they don't need a backup is fooling them selves. I've seen devices just hard-reset and erase everything RAm and FlashROM.

I used BackupBuddy when I had a Palm and it worked great. So I say welcome even late in the game to a new player. It may be just the competition Sprite Backup needs to make their great product even better. Since they have no real competition IMO.

lapchinj
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
It may be just the competition Sprite Backup needs to make their great product even better. Since they have no real competition IMO.
At first I thought the same thing but then I sat down and tried to think of some things that I would put on a wish list I drew a blank. A couple of years ago I needed some tech help and they bent over backwards to help me out. Even their service was exceptional. IMHO it's going to be a hard sell for backupbuddy but I for one welcome them aboard since they are seasoned developers and I think that they can make a living even going up against Sprite.

Competition is great since it make people and companies think a little harder to come up with new innovation.

Jeff-