View Full Version : Bye Bye HP... Welcome back Dell

Mitch D
07-27-2005, 03:22 AM
Well after problems with both my 2750 and 4700 that where bad enough to have HP Tech support instruct me to RMA the units I am walking away from the HP line up altogether and headed back to Dell. I had a great time with my X3i before I changed over to the 2750 and based on that I just ordered my x50v when I got home from work.

Next thing I need to do is to order the DPair Aluminum Case and Extended Battery package from www.aximcases.com.

:D

Darius Wey
07-27-2005, 04:18 AM
You've done exactly what I have done. Not the best of all support with HP in the past year or two prompted me to move to Dell for the X50v. It was only reinforced by the fact that I've been very happy with my Inspiron since I purchased it last year.

HP make some great devices, but they need to do a bit of work in the support department before they gain my appeal once more.

Ripper014
07-27-2005, 06:03 AM
It is going to be hard to get past the Carly years...

timcolling
07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
I've given up on HP after my 5555 was unreliable and after they did not release WM2003SE for it.

My new choice is Samsung, for the i730. I love the converged device!

- Tim

Mitch D
07-31-2005, 03:15 AM
I've given up on HP after my 5555 was unreliable and after they did not release WM2003SE for it.

My new choice is Samsung, for the i730. I love the converged device!

- Tim

I tried a converged device for about 2 months (xda) but it was just not I was looking for plus it just wasn't something I wanted to be holding up to my ear while making a call.

Mona13
08-01-2005, 12:38 AM
After using only HP for several years, from the 36xx to the 55xx, I bought the Dell x50v and it's by far the most stable unit I've ever had.

I really like it. It will take something spectacular to make me switch back to HP.

Mona13

kaitanium
08-01-2005, 05:20 AM
yea i used to be all hp but after they released their current line of devices, i wasnt so impressed anymore. seems like this round they are trying to make a buck more than to provide users what they want at the price they want. i mean comon, the hx2755 should have at least vga at that price and those top of the line specs.

Mitch D
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
After using only HP for several years, from the 36xx to the 55xx, I bought the Dell x50v and it's by far the most stable unit I've ever had.

I really like it. It will take something spectacular to make me switch back to HP.

Mona13

Actually I should have just stayed with the Axim when I replaced my X3i in December but I didn't. I was happy with the 2750 I bought till it went crazy and HP authorized a return of via work so I figured I would try the 4700 because of the 4" screen. It took me less than a week to decide (12 hard resets and 4 calls to tech support) to decide enough was enough.

Mitch D
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
the hx2755 should have at least vga at that price and those top of the line specs.

I agree with you totally, the 275x would be the perfect PPC (in my mind at least) if it had shipped with a VGA screen. Too bad HP was so short sighted again.

kaitanium
08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
their loss! hehe, it would have been a perfect device

Mitch D
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
My Axim showed up this morning, now I am just waiting for the "proper" battery charging cycle to finish and I can start playing again!!!

kaitanium
08-04-2005, 08:00 PM
nmoOOoO. no signs of mine shipping yet

kaitanium
08-04-2005, 10:03 PM
nevermind! mine has shipped! *runs around screaming with hands and arms waving wildly* :D

Mitch D
08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
nevermind! mine has shipped! *runs around screaming with hands and arms waving wildly* :D

:rofl: glad to hear it... what kind of wait time are you looking at for shipping?

kaitanium
08-04-2005, 11:59 PM
they upgraded my 3-5day to next day since i "complained"...so next day= tomorrow? hahah. so much for learning patience

kaitanium
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
ugh i just got the tracking info and i think "next day" meant it will leave dells warehoouse by the next day when the device is put together, not how long it will get to my house. next wednesday is when its coming! all good.

Mitch D
08-05-2005, 05:02 AM
ugh i just got the tracking info and i think "next day" meant it will leave dells warehoouse by the next day when the device is put together, not how long it will get to my house. next wednesday is when its coming! all good.

I would think "next day" means it will be there the "next day" not ship by the next day. But then again I could be wrong.

On the plus side the ROM on my x50v was up to date to I won't have to do any updating (I hope) of the OS till WM5 comes out in October.

kaitanium
08-05-2005, 06:23 AM
oh well, ill wait. besides the day its supposed to arrive is my bday. a little presesnt for me =P

so the win5.0 cd doesnt come with it yet right

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 11:06 AM

If you qualified for the free Windows Mobile 5.0 CD when you ordered the Axim, then you'll receive it in October, which is the month tagged for the official release of the upgrade.

Mitch D
08-05-2005, 04:23 PM

If you qualified for the free Windows Mobile 5.0 CD when you ordered the Axim, then you'll receive it in October, which is the month tagged for the official release of the upgrade.

There is nothing about the free upgrade on the Canadian site, I really should call them to find out.

kaitanium
08-09-2005, 02:48 AM
i finally got it! wooohoo!

ive been away from the pocket pc scene too long! is the device set at 640x480 standard or is there some way to turn it off/on. websites dont look like they are fitting the screen like those screenshots in the reviews out there....

Mitch D
08-09-2005, 03:40 AM
i finally got it! wooohoo!

ive been away from the pocket pc scene too long! is the device set at 640x480 standard or is there some way to turn it off/on. websites dont look like they are fitting the screen like those screenshots in the reviews out there....

As far as I know the PDA uses standard VGA mode which is not true VGA (640x480). You can use a program like SE_VGA to switch between standard mode and VGA mode. It can be downloaded at pocketgear.com (it's a free program)

kaitanium
08-09-2005, 06:04 AM
no wonder...that program sounds good. vga is sure easy on the eyes!

Darius Wey
08-09-2005, 09:40 AM
no wonder...that program sounds good. vga is sure easy on the eyes!

Yeah, the only bummer is the need for a soft-reset everytime you switch modes. I'd love to say Windows Mobile 5.0 provides native true-VGA support, but it doesn't (well, not that I've noticed anyway). SE_VGA also appears to be incompatible with Windows Mobile 5.0, so it'll be up to someone to create an updated version once the new platform becomes mainstream.

Mitch D
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
SE_VGA also appears to be incompatible with Windows Mobile 5.0, so it'll be up to someone to create an updated version once the new platform becomes mainstream.

Yikes!!! I was hoping that WM5 would support VGA natively. What devices have you seen WM5 (beta I'm guessing) on Darius? Can you talk about it or are you under a NDA?

Kati Compton
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
You can also use hack software like Tweaks2k2 to make individual programs work in true VGA.

Darius Wey
08-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Yikes!!! I was hoping that WM5 would support VGA natively.

Well, there's a difference. There's high DPI VGA support (which is what you see in current WM2003SE devices) and there's true-VGA support (which involves a VGA resolution, low DPI - so ultimately, small text, but more screen space). Windows Mobile 5.0 supports the former, but it doesn't appear to natively support the latter. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen and played around with, my judgement seems correct. By default, the OS doesn't include a simple setting to switch between the two modes, which in my opinion, is a real bummer. :(

What devices have you seen WM5 (beta I'm guessing) on Darius?

Primarily the internal builds being flashed on the C500s, PDA2Ks, etc. These were being used at MEDC, and you may have also seen it in the Channel 9 video I posted about last week. I also caught a glimpse of the i300. But anyway, I'm deviating from the Pocket PC realm here.

My observations with regards to non-true-VGA support is with the Windows Mobile 5.0 device emulator.

Can you talk about it or are you under a NDA?

I'm under the site's NDA, but what I've discussed here isn't NDA-material.

ctmagnus
08-10-2005, 06:22 AM
What devices have you seen WM5 (beta I'm guessing) on Darius?

Primarily the internal builds being flashed on the C500s, PDA2Ks, etc. These were being used at MEDC, and you may have also seen it in the Channel 9 video I posted about last week. I also caught a glimpse of the i300. But anyway, I'm deviating from the Pocket PC realm here

C500 as in Orange C500/iMate SP3/Audiovox SMT5600? Sorry, I haven't gotten around to watching the video yet.

Darius Wey
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
C500 as in Orange C500/iMate SP3/Audiovox SMT5600? Sorry, I haven't gotten around to watching the video yet.

Yes, the C500. But remember, these are just internal builds being used within Microsoft - purely for testing purposes. You'll more than likely not be receiving an official upgrade from Orange, Audiovox, etc.

PetiteFlower
08-12-2005, 04:08 AM
Hooray for insurance! I just remembered that I have accidental damage coverage on my renters insurance policy. I dropped my X5 on a hard kitchen floor a couple of weeks ago and it's been slowly dying ever since then...that definitely counts as accidental damage! I called in the claim tonight and an adjuster is going to call me back in the next day or 2 with more information. If all goes well, I'll be able to get a new X30 for only my $100 deductible, that would rock so much!

I'm not really looking at the X50v, VGA isn't important to me, only wireless is, plus I don't think the insurance will cover the top of the line model to replace my modest 2 year old Axim, but they might go for the X30 over the low end X50 (and if not I can cover the difference).

Mitch D
08-16-2005, 03:57 AM
Hooray for insurance! I just remembered that I have accidental damage coverage on my renters insurance policy. I dropped my X5 on a hard kitchen floor a couple of weeks ago and it's been slowly dying ever since then...that definitely counts as accidental damage! I called in the claim tonight and an adjuster is going to call me back in the next day or 2 with more information. If all goes well, I'll be able to get a new X30 for only my $100 deductible, that would rock so much!

Hey PetiteFlower have you heard anything back from your insurance company about covering the cost of a replacement?

PetiteFlower
08-16-2005, 07:08 PM
They haven't gotten back to me with how much I will get yet, but the claim is in and I sent in my proof of ownership, I will probably hear later today or tomorrow. It's definitely covered, they just have to let their "quote service" come up with replacement cost of a comparable item (not depreciated value thankfully). Historically though they've been pretty generous with claim settlements in the past, so I'm not too worried.

PetiteFlower
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Woo hoo! Got the insurance info today. They are giving me $288.61 after my deductible. With the coupons I got, that brings the net cost to me for the X50v, extra battery, and 2 year warrenty to a grand total of....

$6.51

Seriously, if any of you have the ability to get USAA insurance (they are a members-only company for US military people and their families/descendants), GET IT. I called in this claim on Friday, I faxed them proof of ownership yesterday, they are depositing the check directly into my USAA bank account today, so it will be available to me tomorrow. How's that for speedy service!

I'm so happy, this means I'll be able to get my WriteShields now instead of waiting until my next paycheck :mrgreen:

Joy!

Darius Wey
08-18-2005, 12:12 AM
$6.51

Wow, good job! 8O

Mitch D
08-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Woo hoo! Got the insurance info today. They are giving me $288.61 after my deductible. With the coupons I got, that brings the net cost to me for the X50v, extra battery, and 2 year warrenty to a grand total of....

$6.51

Seriously, if any of you have the ability to get USAA insurance (they are a members-only company for US military people and their families/descendants), GET IT. I called in this claim on Friday, I faxed them proof of ownership yesterday, they are depositing the check directly into my USAA bank account today, so it will be available to me tomorrow. How's that for speedy service!

I'm so happy, this means I'll be able to get my WriteShields now instead of waiting until my next paycheck :mrgreen:

Joy!

Congrats!!! Now you can go all out on your next Dell

PetiteFlower
08-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Dell is such a trip. Yesterday they emailed me a "notification of order delay" saying my order might not ship until 8/26. Having dealt with Dell before, I wasn't too disappointed because I knew that was an overestimate and it would probably ship before then. Well, today I got an email saying it shipped yesterday! Sheesh is all I can say.

It should be here on Tuesday though, yippee!

Mitch D
08-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Dell is such a trip. Yesterday they emailed me a "notification of order delay" saying my order might not ship until 8/26. Having dealt with Dell before, I wasn't too disappointed because I knew that was an overestimate and it would probably ship before then. Well, today I got an email saying it shipped yesterday! Sheesh is all I can say.

It should be here on Tuesday though, yippee!

That's Dell for you, at least your going to get it sooner than you thought. I know that the week it took to get to me drove me a little crazy.

Darius Wey
08-21-2005, 04:30 AM
That's Dell for you, at least your going to get it sooner than you thought. I know that the week it took to get to me drove me a little crazy.

Actually, I've heard of some horrid Dell shipping stories in North America. Here in Australia, every Dell product that has been shipped to me or my friends has always arrived a couple of days before their ETA. Typical order -> arrival times are around five days for us.

PetiteFlower
08-21-2005, 06:18 AM
I've never had a shipping issue, even with my X5 which I got pretty soon after it came out when there were some supply issues.

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 12:23 AM
This is great, it was originally scheduled to be delivered on the 23rd, but I just checked the tracking and now it says it will get here tomorrow :) Woot!

Mitch D
08-22-2005, 02:28 AM
This is great, it was originally scheduled to be delivered on the 23rd, but I just checked the tracking and now it says it will get here tomorrow :) Woot!

Better early than late is what I say. But then again better late than never. By this time tomorrow night you should be up and running eh Petite?

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Yes indeed, I'm excited. I wonder if it will get here fully charged like my X5 was, that was great.

Mitch D
08-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Yes indeed, I'm excited. I wonder if it will get here fully charged like my X5 was, that was great.

I believe my x50v arrived charged although I did follow Dell's suggested charging just to get the backup battery fully charged.

Darius Wey
08-22-2005, 12:09 PM
I believe my x50v arrived charged although I did follow Dell's suggested charging just to get the backup battery fully charged.

As far as I'm aware, fresh batteries ship with a bit of reserve capacity on it for internal testing purposes. When you receive your device, you should still follow Dell's instructions of charging the battery for eight hours the first time round.

PetiteFlower
08-22-2005, 02:21 PM
When I got my X5, the battery said 100% as soon as I turned it on. Of course I plugged it in anyway but the light turned green after maybe 20 minutes. I don't think there's much point to leaving it on the charger once it's fully charged :) I think I did leave it for a while just in case but I still worked on it while it was in the charger.

Checked UPS though, it's out for delivery! Wish I was going to be home when it gets there :)

Is my current wallpaper going to work on the new one or do I have to download VGA themes for it?

Mitch D
08-22-2005, 04:44 PM
When I got my X5, the battery said 100% as soon as I turned it on. Of course I plugged it in anyway but the light turned green after maybe 20 minutes. I don't think there's much point to leaving it on the charger once it's fully charged :) I think I did leave it for a while just in case but I still worked on it while it was in the charger.

Checked UPS though, it's out for delivery! Wish I was going to be home when it gets there :)

Is my current wallpaper going to work on the new one or do I have to download VGA themes for it?

It should be fine for "normal" vga I believe but you might want to find some for "true" vga. Also look at downloading SE_VGA so that you can switch into true vga if the desire strikes you.

Ommadawn
08-23-2005, 04:26 AM

Actually, I've heard of some horrid Dell shipping stories in North America. Here in Australia, every Dell product that has been shipped to me or my friends has always arrived a couple of days before their ETA. Typical order -> arrival times are around five days for us.

This is what I want to hear! I've just taken the plunge and ordered an X50v as well, yesterday in fact. My poor but faithful old ipaq h1930 is not looking so good anymore - the backlight is starting to flicker annoyingly, and it's hanging some mornings after a nightly charge (once requiring a hard reset to get it going again).

I hope Dell don't let me down, and move that quickly for me... :|

PetiteFlower
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I downloaded SE_VGA and the "true VGA" mode seems to make the thing unusable! I mean, I can read text that small but it's just too hard to navigate the touch screen! When would something like this actually be useful?

Mitch D
08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I downloaded SE_VGA and the "true VGA" mode seems to make the thing unusable! I mean, I can read text that small but it's just too hard to navigate the touch screen! When would something like this actually be useful?

I actually only use it when I am using my gps and maps so that I can get a larger over all view. Plus when I am at meetings when I am taking notes. Other than that I really don't use it often.

Darius Wey
08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I actually only use it when I am using my gps and maps so that I can get a larger over all view. Plus when I am at meetings when I am taking notes. Other than that I really don't use it often.

I'm sort of in the same boat as Mitch. SE_VGA is only ever useful to me when I'm browsing the internet, and even then, there are many occasions when I'm too lazy to use it. Sometimes, I don't have the luxury of performing a soft-reset to switch between modes, so often, I'll just browse as-is without the true-VGA enhancement. For common day-to-day tasks such as PIM, e-mail, media, etc., I use the device is in its default VGA mode - that's the way the programs were written to support VGA, and that's the way the programs seem to function best.

PetiteFlower
08-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok glad it's not just me. It still looks significantly nicer then my X5 even in regular mode. If I ever get that GPS though, I'll give it a try :) I will say that it does make the screen seem HUGE because all the text is so tiny :) But I probably won't use it much.