View Full Version : Imate PDA2K ROM Upgrade--Grrrrrrr! Problems!

rdaprix
07-22-2005, 09:34 PM
OK, so, you have an IMATE PDA2K or Blue Angel or Harrier or MDA III or whatever the heck they’re calling it this week. You heard there’s a new ROM image that’s hot stuff and clears up some issues, so you back up everything up and go for it.

I did. Now, the thing is almost as useless as a brick. Here are some tips and cautions. The new ROM upgrade works, but it has an issue—specifically, when you make a call or send/receive e-mail the device will drop and not be able to re-establish its GPRS connection.

This is actually a known issue according to Imate in Dubai, and they had it with the IMATE JAM as well, but the patch for this isn’t coming out until mid August.

I use T-mobile as the network provider and run a good link license for exchange mail and two pop3 accounts. Here are a few things you should know:

1) wait on the ROM upgrade until they iron out these bugs.
2) If you use t-mobile, go get the file “T-Mobile_USA_Internet_PPC_V1.6.CAB” from the IMATE Web site. It basically configures the gprs connection with the correct access point (internet3.voicestream.com) for you. That’ll help.
3) If you are configuring pop3 accounts the outbound mail server is NOT your ISP’s server—it’s “myemail.t-mobile.com” Leave the domain fields blank.
4) If you do uypgrade, realize that every time you make a phone call, or switch from one pop3 (or good link GPRS connection) account to the next, you will need to perform a soft reset to get working again. Not fun.

The ROM upgrade does free up memory, but it doesn’t really fix the issues, and causes some new ones.

Has anyone else had problems with the 1.400 ROM upgrade? Has anyone else experienced the error message: “Dialed:The answering modem has disconnected. To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap settings.”

Does anyone know a fix for this? I hate the fact that I have to keep resetting the device to go from a phone call to get an e-mail. This stinks, and I think IMATE should be doing more to escalate and fix this problem.

Oh—I also get the ‘timed out while waiting for a response from the server’ message consistently on the pop3 mail accounts when sending/receiving e-mail.

I would welcome any input on possible solutions. Thanks!