View Full Version : Help Me? Diagnose this PDA Problem...

pjtrader
07-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi guys,
I'm turning to you first because, well, between all of you, we know everything!

I dug my Dell Axim X5 out of the drawer the other day because I finally have a job again where I have to keep up with myself!

However, I've noticed the last few days that the the device battery is draining itself overnight. Usually it would power up in the cradle while sitting on the desk during the day, I'd pull it out and take it home and let it sit in my bag overnight.

Every morning the battery is depleted. At first I thought maybe the power was getting turned on accidently, but last night I left the device lying on my home desk - it was already down to 87% (at 8pm) power from 100% when I'd left work. This morning is was empty.

Do you think it's just a battery issue and replacing that will solve it? I'm beginning to wonder if the device on/off switch isn't working properly because I also have to soft reset just to turn it on! It appears to turn off properly using the power switch, but I can't get it turned back on that way.

Any ideas out there? Can this PDA be saved?

Thanks,
Pam

Darius Wey
07-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, you could try a few things here.

First of all, you haven't used your device in a while, so as expected, your battery is in a condition other than the norm.

When charging the battery, instead of removing it from the AC when the green light appears, try leaving it connected for an extended period of time (perhaps overnight). Then use it for a day to see how it fairs. If that doesn't solve anything, you could try a hard reset. And if after all that, it's still being a pain, then you may need a new battery.

Sven Johannsen
07-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Even if it doesn't indicate a problem, you might consider getting a new backup battery. It's a common 2032 watch battery. In the future, or for others, it is much better to charge a LiIon battery and then remove it from the device if you are not going to use it for a long time, than to let it drain into nothingness.

pjtrader
07-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I did replace the backup battery - so that's done!

Never occured to me to remove the battery while it languished in a drawer - some things just are too simple.

I guess the thing that has me wondering it the device is powering off properly is because of the on/off switch issue. Even when the battery had a fair amount of power I wrestled with the switch to get it turned back on. Sometimes it worked like it should and sometimes it didn't.

Makes me wonder if the device is being shut down or just sitting there all night sucking power...