View Full Version : slow downs, bugs, and other issues with PocketPlus 3.0??

ipaq_wannabe
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I am now on my second day of using the latest version of PocketPlus...

Aside from the fact that there werent much added in terms of useful functionality
(well, the individual Close buttons for the Task Manager is a welcome addition) - i do find that my System has SLOWED down a bit. Say, something like the WiFi connection (I now get a Yellow status instead of Green), as well as some programs going crazy (like PIE and it failing to Close or Be Closed)...

Could mine be an isolated case? Or is it that the majority are experiencing problems?

PS: using a trick mentioned in a separate thread - i basically MOVED more than half of PP to BIS

- (at) Axim x50v w/ Fitaly 3.5

Menneisyys
07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I am now on my second day of using the latest version of PocketPlus...

Aside from the fact that there werent much added in terms of useful functionality
(well, the individual Close buttons for the Task Manager is a welcome addition) - i do find that my System has SLOWED down a bit. Say, something like the WiFi connection (I now get a Yellow status instead of Green), as well as some programs going crazy (like PIE and it failing to Close or Be Closed)...

Could mine be an isolated case? Or is it that the majority are experiencing problems?

PS: using a trick mentioned in a separate thread - i basically MOVED more than half of PP to BIS

- (at) Axim x50v w/ Fitaly 3.5

I will benchmark 3.0 some day, comparing it to version 2.5 (see my old benchmarks of 2.5 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36376)).

I don't think moving DLL's to the file store would incur any slowdown. These DLL's are all loaded into main memory during the boot process and aren't reloaded. Theerefore, it's impossible that a relatively slow medium would cause any slowdown with the SPP 3.0 services.

Duncan
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I had a big slowdown on installing it (I had PocketPlus 2.5 before). Uninstalling PocketPlus 3 also seems to have caused my Loox to crash badly (that is my Loox was very stable and the crash happened the second the uninstall had finished). That said I understand that it was tested thoroughly on the Loox 718/720 series so it could be obsure interactions...

ipaq_wannabe
07-23-2005, 01:52 AM
okay - even before i upgraded to version 3... my Ax has been pretty much stable - requiring about one soft reset a day (due to Sprite's automatic backup)

but now, there are cases that the "close button" doesnt work - no matter what i do i cannot make the menu to go down, or to either minimize/close an app, etc.

whats more - as i tried harder on it ---> BAM!!! System Lockup!!!

ctmagnus
07-23-2005, 04:00 AM
I find it no slower than before. The thing that I find slows the system down is the super-PIM plugins such as PocketBreeze and Spb Diary. Every once in a while when I have a bit of a slowdown (my schedule, not the iPaq ;) ) I'll disable Spb Diary and revert to the standard Calendar, Tasks and Inbox plugins. Then I notice a great speed increase.

However, I am still unable to navigate Pocket Plus' Today plugin with the dpad, on an iPaq 5550. So that's my bug report for Pocket Plus 3.0 ;)

Jason Lee
07-23-2005, 06:35 AM
i'm not sure what to post as a bug. every time i think i find a bug it goes away right as i post on it. :)

i've had the way things work just change. i have a button mapped to open the close button menu. sometimes when i open the menu with the button the list of tasks is not up to date. it does not show what is actually running but what was. then other times it works fine.
also when i open the close menu scroll down with the dpad and click action button on a running task sometimes it closes the task other time it switches to the task (which is what i want, switch)
there are lots of cursor focus and highlight issues with the new keyboard navigation in the today plugin. it all works, for me anyway, it just has a few appearance and consistency issues when it comes to when to show and when to remove the highlight based on focus and just needing to go away after 5 or so seconds.

i did have internet explorer lock up on me tonight. it seems to happen if i bring up a menu, tap and hold or the plus menu, and tap somewhere else too fast. this happened in 2.5 as well. not sure exactly what it is but if i get going to fast sometimes it freezez the whole device.

but over all i am soooooo much happier with the new version. they fixed so many little issues/bugs and added so many cool new features. some of the best are in ie. mostly now you can tap and hold on an image that is a link and get the pic menu stuff AND the link stuff! before you couldn't open a link that was a graphic in a new window.

i really love the new version. it just seems a little flakey at times. not really unstable, cause it not crash, but it seems to work different from time to time. lol

ctmagnus
07-23-2005, 07:15 AM
One more thing (so far): I think there may be a memory leak in Pocket Plus 3.0. I typically have just over 80MB free (according to Pocket Plus' memory meter) after a soft-reset but the last few days, I've been getting down to 50MB free after a few hours of use. I tend to switch tabs a lot (those new tabs are just so nifty!) and I suspect that that causes it.

ipaq_wannabe
07-23-2005, 01:53 PM
okay, i think i found another bug, and is reproducible...
and this is with the functionality added to PIE...

when PP is configured such that

- whenever the "X" button is pressed, it would only close the active window
- and when PIE is set to be an exception of NOT being closed when the "X" button is pressed

and i am sure to lock-up PP such that i cannot call it from the "upper right hand"...

and that PP cannot close PIE...

and only a SOFT RESET would bring things back to normal

huangzhinong
07-24-2005, 08:53 AM
In x50v, SPB pocket + slows down the system too much so that I can even see the today interface reflesh line by line. Barely usable in VGA machine.

It's much faster in x30 (at least much better than ver 2.x).

My suggestion for those X50v users who want a launcher plugin is trying PHM traylauncher (freeware), tiny and fast.

ipaq_wannabe
08-02-2005, 12:08 AM
yes, whenever i use PIE - the "X" button functionality just goes haywire (along with PP), that i cannot close anything, and cannot even make a reset (through the RESET button of PP)...

Can anyone confirm this?

not only that (this may be OT) - but ive sent a SUPPORT request to Spb regarding Spb Finance, and still NO reply (anyway, i have already changed to Cash Organizer)

Jason Lee
08-02-2005, 03:07 PM
yes, whenever i use PIE - the "X" button functionality just goes haywire (along with PP), that i cannot close anything, and cannot even make a reset (through the RESET button of PP)...

Can anyone confirm this?

not only that (this may be OT) - but ive sent a SUPPORT request to Spb regarding Spb Finance, and still NO reply (anyway, i have already changed to Cash Organizer)

I've had my device lock up several times as i am closing out of multiple IE windows. Only way to fix is reboot (with the stylus and reset button).

Really? No reply? How long has it been? They must be pretty busy righ now with all the new releases, trying to fix bugs and such. I usually get replies with in a day or so but recently it has been taking a bit longer. :) Kinda understandable though. They never reply with just a generic response. It is always relative to your email and they have talked to some one about it already or sent your report to the programmers. That's why it takes a bit longer sometimes. I think i would rather have, "I've talked to so and so and he says they are working on that fix and we will definetly change your other issue in the next release.", as apposed to, "Thank you for your email, we're here for you."

But that's just me. :)

surur
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Just to confirm that I have the same problem as you with PP locking up with multiple PIE windows. Its very irritating.

Surur

Phillip Dyson
08-03-2005, 10:21 PM
The irritating thing is that SPB don't have support forums. Anyone know if they have fixes in the works?

Jason Lee
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
The irritating thing is that SPB don't have support forums. Anyone know if they have fixes in the works?

Yes. They just did the first round of fixes on the new diary 1.5 release, now 1.5.1 and are currently working on the first round of fixes for finance 2.0 and plus 3.0. So hopefully we'll see an update for both of those soon.

ipaq_wannabe
08-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Just to confirm that I have the same problem as you with PP locking up with multiple PIE windows. Its very irritating.

Surur

how did you set P+ on your device? would tapping on the "X" be a Minimize or a Close?

when i set my device to Minimize on a Tap, Show Menu on a Hold, and Close on a Drag Action - there seems to be no more lockups...

surur
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
how did you set P+ on your device? would tapping on the "X" be a Minimize or a Close?

when i set my device to Minimize on a Tap, Show Menu on a Hold, and Close on a Drag Action - there seems to be no more lockups...

Exactly the same as you. I prefer to minimize on default. Its what multi-tasking is all about, isn't it :) Doesn't prevent the problem. I even have lock-ups just calling up the right click menu.

Surur

Jason Lee
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I haven't had a lock up yet if i use the "close window" option from p+'s ie menu, instead of the (x), to close all my windows, even the last remaining open one.... :roll:

Darius Wey
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
FYI, I've just disabled the Pocket Plus Today plugin since the memory leak became completely unbearable. If you try it, you'll notice a huge boost in performance. I'm going to sit on an iconless screen until an update is released.

Phillip Dyson
08-05-2005, 04:21 AM
FYI, I've just disabled the Pocket Plus Today plugin since the memory leak became completely unbearable. If you try it, you'll notice a huge boost in performance. I'm going to sit on an iconless screen until an update is released.

Just the today plugin? Or did you deactivate all of Pocket Plus.

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 06:44 AM

i have a thread in another PPC site about sudden memory drains in an Axim x50v

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=93291

and i cannot seem to pin-point the cause...

could it be PocketPlus?? since for my last test, only PocketPlus is running...

hhhhmmmm....

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 06:55 AM

hi darius,

could we then say there is indeed a memory leak then??

i was hoping you'd be more specific in your experience *curious to know*

since i just realized a very noticeable leak in my device

thanks!!

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM

Just the Today plug-in. I still use the other features of Pocket Plus very actively.

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
hi darius,

could we then say there is indeed a memory leak then??

It's possible, although nothing is certain yet. I'd like to gather a wide spectrum of problem reports from QVGA and VGA users before we start pointing fingers.

From my experience, it seems fine on QVGA devices, but not for VGA devices. But as I said, the more people that can chime in, the better.

...very noticeable leak in my device

Try disabling only the Pocket Plus Today plugin on your X50v and let me know whether you notice a performance boost. Also, see if your memory still leaks over a period of time. Mine hasn't, and all other things being equal, I doubt yours would either.

Phillip Dyson
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
From my experience, it seems fine on QVGA devices, but not for VGA devices. But as I said, the more people that can chime in, the better.

Well, I'm running plus on a QVGA device right now. And I've sprung a leak.

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Okay, here's the deal. I've just been discussing the problem with Spb, and the more reports I get from all of you, the better.

They're now looking into the problem, and hopefully, if it is an issue relating to Pocket Plus 3.0, an update will be released to fix the bug.

So, here's what would really help me help them help you. ;)

• Model and ROM installed
• Plug-ins active on the Today screen
• Available memory (program and storage) in its "fresh" state, and in its "sluggish" state

Thanks. :)

Phillip Dyson
08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
So, here's what would really help me help them help you. ;)

• Available memory (program and storage) in its "fresh" state, and in its "sluggish" state

Thanks. :)

1. Eten m500 ROM 0037
2. PocketPlus3.0, PocketBreeze/ContactBreeze, PhoneAlarm
3. 14.8 mb --> (as low as) 4mb

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM

- Axim x50v, A04 ROM
- PocketPlus, PocketBreeze, ContactBreeze, UpTime
- fresh state = 25.8MB, sluggish state = approx 14MB (no progs running)

---

basically what happens is that if i run a program (PocketInbox, Pocket Excel, PI 2005, CO, etc.) , and then close it (using the "X" button of Spb P+) - the memory readings never really get back to FULL by magnitudes of a MEG

and as the day passes - open a program, use the program, close the program; the device becomes weird... the "top bar" (with the Start Menu, and the P+ "X" button) disappears, or that the "X" button cannot close a program already, or that things really crawl

thanks!!!

Darius Wey
08-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Okay, I've submitted both your reports, so we'll see how things turn out.

Anyone else? :)

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
anyone experiencing disappearing "top bars"?

i mean, when i run some apps after having leaving the device turned on (connected to the ac adaptor) for some period of time (say about an hour) - the top bar just becomes a blank white rectangle

PS: when i say "top bar" this is where the Start Menu, the Sound and Date/Time indicator is...

Jason Lee
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
anyone experiencing disappearing "top bars"?

i mean, when i run some apps after having leaving the device turned on (connected to the ac adaptor) for some period of time (say about an hour) - the top bar just becomes a blank white rectangle

PS: when i say "top bar" this is where the Start Menu, the Sound and Date/Time indicator is...

I would have something like that happen looong ago. It was usually when some app locked up and i guess caused p+ to have problems too. But i've not had that with 3.0.

I've not really noticed a memory leak on my device or too much of a slow down. I probably reboot too often to notice a leak though, what with backups and bluetooth not turning on. ;)

I've disabled the today plugin and, of course, the today page is a LOT snapier. But p+'s today plug in has never been graceful. :)

I have noticed that everyonce in a while i will get the wait indicator on trying to do just the simplest things. But it only seems to be for maybe from 5 to not more than 20 seconds that everything i do is sluggish. It seems to be find after a bit without a reboot. I did not notice this before p+ 3.0.

P+ just seems so unstable now. It is very dificult to pin problems down for me as they happen one minute and not the next. I still cannot figure out why when i move through the close button menu with the d-pad and click the action button on a running task sometimes it switches and sometimes it closes.... :evil: I have lost more than one important window i had open to this. So i basically had to stop doing it. It's kind of a pain not knowing if you will get the app you want or close it! :)

there are just soo many little flakey things. the task list in the close menu doesn't refresh some times. my seemingly randome and monemtery device slowdowns, the possible memory leak.. 3.0 is very quirky. But i love all the new features so i'll deal with it until there is an update. ;)

The only things i have on the today page are p+, diary, and the default inbox plugin (waiting on diary to get inbox so i can get rid of this one, hehehe).
I'll try running without p+ on the today page for a while to see if any of the strangeness goes away. but that may not prove anything since the strangeness only happens every once in a while. :roll:

right now when i click the d-pad on the close menu it actually switches tasks! yay! but who knows 5 minutes from now.

ipaq_wannabe
08-05-2005, 04:47 PM
i did some tests on my device by randomly running apps then closing them - one after the other

i did this using three different settings:

1. P+ Today plugin ON, and Close Button functionality ON
2. P+ Today plugin OFF, and Close Button functionality ON
3. P+ Today plugin OFF, and Close Button functionality OFF

as much as possible, i try using the built-in Memory Applet (in the Control Panel) to check remaining memory, and to close running tasks (especially in "settings" 3)

in all cases, however, the leak is more pronounced when P+ is running (which is in orders of MB), while a normal case (settings 3); in orders of a 0.0xMBs

and as others have mentioned before - yes... my handheld is much snappier without P+

Jason Lee
08-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I tried the same thing. If i take into account that with pocket plus running i start with almost 2 mb less than with out it running. :)

After openin and closeing the same apps, with and with out the close button and today plugin on, i used about 1.5mb of memory. Those apps the cleaned themselves out of memory did so with or with out plus enabled. and those that left 0.1 mb or so when they closed still left 0.1 mb or so when they closed with plus enabled.

Before i had 3.0 (with 2.5) installed i would have around 45 mb free ram after reboot. After 2-4 days of use i would get down to around 32 mb free. This still appears to be the case. I don't ever recall droping below 32 mb free. When my free program gets to the same as my free storage I usually reboot. :)

So, very long story short, if there is a memory leak it does not appear to be any worse for me in 3.0 than it was in 2.5.

But that's on my QVGA SX66.

ctmagnus
08-05-2005, 09:44 PM

iPaq 5550 with 1.10.10 ROM
Spb Diary v1.5.1, Pocket Plus 3.0
82MB, 60MB or less

Darius Wey
08-06-2005, 02:57 AM
iPaq 5550 with 1.10.10 ROM
Spb Diary v1.5.1, Pocket Plus 3.0
82MB, 60MB or less

Do you have any plugins integrated into Pocket Plus, or is that it?

ctmagnus
08-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Weather, GPRS monitor, Finance and Folder are all integrated into Pocket Plus in my setup.

ipaq_wannabe
08-06-2005, 08:33 AM
oh wow!!!

another crash!!!

i was browsing through PIE - and then, when i tried closing it through the X button; the handheld just locked-up

gggrrrr...

before version 3.0 - i never had this instability before

i wonder when can Spb come up with a fix...

ctmagnus
08-07-2005, 04:13 AM
You can always do what I do - disable the PIE integration and use PIEPlus (http://www.reensoft.com/PIEPlus/) instead ;)

ipaq_wannabe
08-07-2005, 05:48 AM
You can always do what I do - disable the PIE integration and use PIEPlus (http://www.reensoft.com/PIEPlus/) instead ;)

i would then assume that PIEPlus is as good, if not better, than the functionality provided by PocketPlus?

anyway, due to other problems (as noted in another thread) - i have rollback my device to a state before the installation of PocketPlus 3.0...

i guess, ill just leave with it for a moment; until Spb comes out with a patch, OR, it is really not worth it for me...

the problem i see with most PPC apps is that there are lots of titles that does almost everything, but none good enough than the other - and thus ending with TOO many software installed in your device; leading to instabilities and conflicts *bummer*

cheers!!!

ctmagnus
08-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Coinciding with one of my previous posts, I disabled Spb Diary and replaced it with Calendar, Tasks and Inbox for the next while. However, I kept the Pocket Plus plugin active on the Today screen. The unit is much zippier now, and the memory leak effect is somewhat reduced. I've been using all my typical programs and I'm only down 6-7MB from a soft-reset, as opposed to the 10+MB (even 15MB in some instances) I'd typically be missing this long after a reset.

mrjeff42
08-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I've got the same problem - available memory drops throughtout a day of use so that I need to do a soft reset each evening. It started right after upgrading Pocket Plus to 3.0 and using the tabs for Diary, Finance and Weather addins. The 3 addins are upgraded to the latest available versions.

I am running an Axim V50 mid.

ctmagnus
08-10-2005, 06:14 AM
I reenabled Diary and I'm down to 62MB free, after a few hours. When I was running the Calendar and Tasks plugins instead of Diary, I never got below ~72MB free. Pocket Plus was running at all times. So I have reason to believe that Pocket Plus is not the only culprit in this crime.

Jason Lee
08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
You do need to remember that it does take some amount of ram for these plugins to run. Diary does not load all it's stuff until you click on that tab for the first time. If you'll reboot and tap the contacts tab it is the most noticable. It takes a second the first time it loads. After that it is fast as can be.
It really doesn't bother me much since i have 128 ram but this woudl definetly have been a pinch on my 2215.
Also keep in mind that the VGA versions of any software are gonna take 4 times as much ram just for the graphics. There is now way around that.

I'm not saying there is not a memory leak but you need to account for the longer you use pocket plus and diary the more of their parts, pieces and icons get loaded into ram. These will stay in ram once loaded because the programs are still running.

I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary on my QVGA device memory wise. The more i have on my today page the slower my divice runs but that happens no matter what. Even the amount of stuff i have in pocket plus makes a big diference. The more tabs and icons i have the more ram it uses and the longer it takes to load and draw it.

With my ppc2003se phone i will go from 45 mb of free ram to around 32-34 mb after a few days. This gives me time to have used all my programs and loaded every screen. Once all that stuff that sits in ram is there i never see it drop any more. 13 mb of ram isn't much to me. But if you start off after a clean boot with only 29 mb, or less, available you could be in for a world of hurt. :)

The more stuff you have installed and run regularly the more ram you are gonna burn. We all know that p+ and diary are not lightweight apps. They have lots of functionality. Big, complex programs do come with a price just like on your desktop pc.

All that aside there are times when my device is noticibly slower/sluggish then with p+ 2.5. It seems to have alot to do with the close button menu stuff. Of course my device will speed up if i disable my huge today plugins but this is in addition to that expected slowdown. Of course there were times with version 2.5 that the close button would lag a little. It just seems a bit more frequent/constant.

P+ 3.0 just needs more stability in general.

ctmagnus
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Yeah, but I usually go through all the tabs on both plugins immediately after a soft-reset to make sure I won't have to wait for anything on the Today screen, and I usually have a hit of no more than 1-2MB ram lost between all of them.

The 10MB I'm talking about is after running with the Diary plugin for a while. If I then disable Diary, I regain 1.5MB. When I reenable it immediately afterwards I lose 0.5MB from that point. Running through all the tabs in Diary causes me to lose 0.1MB. I'm sure my free RAM will drop some more as time goes on, but I've noticed a considerably greater memory leak when running with Diary and Pocket Plus than when running with Pocket Plus alone.

Phillip Dyson
08-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Any news on this issue? Has anyone heard from SPB about a possible fix?

ctmagnus
08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I've heard nothing. But, interestingly enough, I discovered that if I remove the Finance tab from Pocket Plus, the memory leak slows down significantly.

Darius Wey
08-30-2005, 05:50 AM

They're still looking at it. If there's an update, I'll let you know.

Darius Wey
08-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Okay, here's an update. Spb Finance 2.1 includes memory usage tweaks, among other things, and can be downloaded from here: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/finance/?en

I'll be making a front page post on it within the next day.

Phillip Dyson
08-31-2005, 02:49 AM
Thanks Darius. It didn't occur to me that the leak could by SPB Finance. I figured Pocket Plus was the culprit.

ctmagnus
08-31-2005, 11:41 AM
I've heard nothing. But, interestingly enough, I discovered that if I remove the Finance tab from Pocket Plus, the memory leak slows down significantly.

Told you so! :mrgreen:

Jason Lee
08-31-2005, 04:03 PM
hmm.. the scheduled transactions are still sorted upside down in the today plugin. you can only see your farthest in the future scheduled transactions not the one due tomorrow.... :evil:

ipaq_wannabe
10-08-2005, 10:18 AM

They're still looking at it. If there's an update, I'll let you know.

Hi Darius...

Any update on patches/fixes for Spb PocketPlus 3?

I paid US$9.00 for an upgrade that I never get to use, and well, it is just a little disapppointing, though...

On the other hand, however, it would seem that Spb seems to be undestaffed, or whatever - it takes weeks for them to get back with Support Inquiries, etc. Hhhhmmm...

Darius Wey
10-08-2005, 02:19 PM

v3.01 was released a week ago, and includes bug fixes.

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en

PocketPC Addict
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM

v3.01 was released a week ago, and includes bug fixes.

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en

Darius, do you know what's listed in the .01 update? What it fixes?

thanks

Jason Lee
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
the only thing in the update history was that they fixed an install bug.

Darius Wey
10-11-2005, 04:04 AM
There might be some memory usage enhancements though I need to check with Spb on that. From 3.00 to 3.01, I can confirm that I'm no longer experiencing any memory leaks, which is a positive sign. :)

Jason Lee
10-11-2005, 06:10 AM
There might be some memory usage enhancements though I need to check with Spb on that. From 3.00 to 3.01, I can confirm that I'm no longer experiencing any memory leaks, which is a positive sign. :)

ahh. that may be why i can use bluetooth any wifi at the same time again (sometimes at least). since i upgraded to 3.0 i have to reboot between wifi and bluetooth uses. and foget trying to get them to run at the same time. I've used both at once and either/or several times today and was surprised each time. :D

Darius Wey
10-11-2005, 11:06 AM
ahh. that may be why i can use bluetooth any wifi at the same time again (sometimes at least). since i upgraded to 3.0 i have to reboot between wifi and bluetooth uses. and foget trying to get them to run at the same time. I've used both at once and either/or several times today and was surprised each time. :D

Cool. :) Glad to see I'm not the only one to gain from this update.

Jason Lee
10-11-2005, 10:00 PM
wow... i've gone three days without a reboot and bluetooth and wifi still work! at the same time even!!
they really must have cleaned up some memory issues.
nothing else on my device has changed. i only upgraded from plus 3.0 to plus 3.0.1. i knew plus had some memory issues but i didn't realize it was actually causing most of my problems. I just thought i had too many shortcuts on the today page. lol now i know why so many people quit using it. i almost dropped the app several times because my device ram sooo much better without it. i kept comming back for the functionality though. figured i could handle rebooting 5 or 6 times a day... hehe.

so far plus is behaving better than it ever has. *crosses fingers*

Darius Wey
10-12-2005, 03:44 AM
i knew plus had some memory issues but i didn't realize it was actually causing most of my problems. I just thought i had too many shortcuts on the today page. lol now i know why so many people quit using it. i almost dropped the app several times because my device ram sooo much better without it. i kept comming back for the functionality though. figured i could handle rebooting 5 or 6 times a day... hehe.

Yeah, back in the day, I was pretty certain that the Pocket Plus Today plugin was the biggest cause of all the memory leaks. It got so bad that I couldn't even load Windows Media without soft-resetting, so I was forced to disable the Today plugin until the problem was fixed. Over the past couple of months, I did a few tests for Spb and they said they'd look into it. I had no idea when the leaks would be fixed, but I guess v3.0.1 is the magic release. ;)

PetiteFlower
10-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Heh, I just saw this thread and decided not to upgrade from 2.5 :) Maybe it's safe now?

Darius Wey
10-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Heh, I just saw this thread and decided not to upgrade from 2.5 :) Maybe it's safe now?

Sure. I think it's a great upgrade, and I believe you'll be impressed with the results.

PetiteFlower
10-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Is it WM5 compatible? If not I'll have to put off my upgrade until it is. I can't stand to not have this app on my PPC at all times!

Jason Lee
10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Is it WM5 compatible? If not I'll have to put off my upgrade until it is. I can't stand to not have this app on my PPC at all times!

yes. 3.0 is where the added support for wm5. I have no personal experience with it on wm5 as i don't have a new device yet. but it is unbelievably better on wm2003.

ctmagnus
10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I just upgraded and my Help -> About says version 3.0.2. Their about page still says 3.0.1. Does this mean I'm technologically advanced? :silly:

Jason Lee
10-12-2005, 11:21 PM
I just upgraded and my Help -> About says version 3.0.2. Their about page still says 3.0.1. Does this mean I'm technologically advanced? :silly:
Hmm.. mine doesn't.. i'll download and install it again. :)

smittyofdhs
10-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Here's a new issue for Pocket Plus. The today icons are doing some weird things on my device.

First off, the default battery/memory icon and text sucks, the text is hard to read and very small. So I decided I would always use the icons/text from the SPB Green (Classic) extended theme, which has the ver2.5 icons and text. Every time the today page refreshes, I will briefly see the battery icon from some other extended theme, then the correct one will appear. Also, when I have the PPC in the cradle charging, if I click on the battery gauge, I get the battery icon/text from the current theme. If I un-cradle the device, the icon/text stays. SO now I end up with a battery icon from the current theme, and memory icons from the Green theme.

Another bug....

Jason Lee
10-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Here's a new issue for Pocket Plus. The today icons are doing some weird things on my device.

First off, the default battery/memory icon and text sucks, the text is hard to read and very small. So I decided I would always use the icons/text from the SPB Green (Classic) extended theme, which has the ver2.5 icons and text. Every time the today page refreshes, I will briefly see the battery icon from some other extended theme, then the correct one will appear. Also, when I have the PPC in the cradle charging, if I click on the battery gauge, I get the battery icon/text from the current theme. If I un-cradle the device, the icon/text stays. SO now I end up with a battery icon from the current theme, and memory icons from the Green theme.

Another bug....

that's not a bug. the clasic skin does not have an icon for the battery meter when on ac power as this feature wasn't added until 3.0. so if the icon is missing it uses the default or the icon from the last custome theme.
i also don't like the little text on the new default skin so i tweaked it. :)

also i downloaded it just now and it is version 3.0.2 even thought the site still says 3.0.1. however when i installed it i got a message to overwrite my newer version of plusservices.exe with an older version. very strange. i'll have to play more.

Darius Wey
10-13-2005, 10:02 AM

yes. 3.0 is where the added support for wm5. I have no personal experience with it on wm5 as i don't have a new device yet. but it is unbelievably better on wm2003.

It works fine in Windows Mobile 5.0. Tried and tested. ;)

Jason Lee
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok, here's one for ya. I just downloaded it again to see if they had by mistake put 3.0.2 out and had fixed it by now. Well I now have a copy of 3.0.3! 8O

Umm.. the site still says 3.0.1. I emailed support about the 3.0.2 issue.. i didn't know about the 3.0.3 thing yet. hehe.. Umm. Anyone with closer contact with spb have any info? Which version do i need to run and what are the differences?

Edit: Ok never mind. the site is updated now.
Version 3.0.3 (Oct 13, 2005)

* Issue with safe mode on HTC Wizard devices (QTek 9100, I-Mate K-Jam, etc ) fixed

edit again! don't install 3.0.3! my device will not boot!

kosmos
10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
My install from 3.0.? to 3.0.3 went well, hopefully no dissapearing top bar and hangs now ...

Jason Lee
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Found the problem. If you have TwCL.exe from Tweaks2k2.com in your startup folder pocket plus 3.0.3 locks your device and it will not boot. ever.

All previous versions worked fine. TwCL.exe sets the reg setting to allow cleartype to work in landscape mode. So i am guessing that they are maybe accessing the registry at the exact same time or something.

bad stuff.

EDIT: Nope that's not it either. I only got one good reboot. the next time i rebooted it hung again. 3.0.3 does not like my sx66 at all.

Jason Lee
10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
We've got a thread going with someone from Spb if anyone else has this problem as well you might want to stop by. :)

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43643&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Jason Lee
10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
This just in. 3.0.4 is out. Fixes the problem.

this is a bug in the setup procedure of 3.0.3 and this happens if you're upgrading from the previous version.

We urgently created a fix, now it is available from our site.

Please do not install version 3.0.3 or if you installed this version do not soft reset device and do not uninstall this version until you install version 3.0.4 from
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/dow...Plus3_setup.exe

Sorry for this inconvenience.

//Nicholas Tsipanov
//Spb Software House

burtcom
10-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Hmmm, with version 3.0.4 on my HP rx3115, PocketPlus can't remember to keep the Today plugin on after a reset. Anyone else see this?

Previous 3.X versions worked fine.

Jason Lee
10-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Hmmm, with version 3.0.4 on my HP rx3115, PocketPlus can't remember to keep the Today plugin on after a reset. Anyone else see this?

Previous 3.X versions worked fine.

hmm.. that's one i've not seen.

burtcom
10-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I just removed Pocket Plus completely and reinstalled, and it is remembering settings after a reset now.

ipaq_wannabe
12-11-2005, 06:17 AM

i finally took the plunge and installed 3.0.4 over 2.5...

it may be me, but am i getting another set of memory leaks?

i start out with 28MB free RAM (using WM2003SE) - then when i, say open the Settings/Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs just to test; and come back to the Today screen - i get a reading 27.2MB...?

ipaq_wannabe
12-11-2005, 06:22 AM

i finally took the plunge and installed 3.0.4 over 2.5...

it may be me, but am i getting another set of memory leaks?

i start out with 28MB free RAM (using WM2003SE) - then when i, say open the Settings/Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs just to test; and come back to the Today screen - i get a reading 27.2MB...?

i guess its back to 2.5 for me...

i just did a SIMPLE test:

1. reboot
2. noted the memory --> 28MB
3. clicked on PocketWord...
4. clicked on PocketExcel
5. closed PocketWord using PocketPlus' "X" button
6. closed PocketExcel using PocketPlus' "X" button
7. checked memory --> 27.8MB
8. clicked on Repligo
9. selected to view one Repligo file to view
10. closed Repligo using PocketPlus' "X" button
11. checked memory --> 27.6MB

... as in "huh?!?"

is anyone still experiencing memory leaks with PocketPlus?

--- edit ---

hhhmmm....

i try repeating the above steps 3 to 6 --> but the memory stays at 27.6MB

and then tried using Resco Audio Recorder to record some "this is a test notes" (saved to the SD card) --> but the memory stays at 27.6MB

is this some kind of selective leak??

:(

i hope anyone can explain this...

:cry:

ipaq_wannabe
12-11-2005, 06:35 AM
okay - im convinced... the memory leak is quite obvious... *sigh*

time to restore from backup...

Darius Wey
12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Losing a few hundred kilobytes is not something you should worry about, and I'd hardly call it a leak. Most programs require some reserve memory to save "previous state" info and so on. Now, if you're using Pocket Plus and you magically see many megabytes go down the drain (say, 10 or so megabytes), then that's a serious leak and I'd start poking the Spb development team about it. You still might want to alert them though if you feel it's a significant issue.

ipaq_wannabe
12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Losing a few hundred kilobytes is not something you should worry about, and I'd hardly call it a leak. Most programs require some reserve memory to save "previous state" info and so on. Now, if you're using Pocket Plus and you magically see many megabytes go down the drain (say, 10 or so megabytes), then that's a serious leak and I'd start poking the Spb development team about it. You still might want to alert them though if you feel it's a significant issue.

hi darius!!!

yeah, i guess that im a little bit paranoid, though... could be saving some "previous" info, so it would be faster when i run it again...

regardless, in order to be sure; i tried repeating the same test with a 2.5 installation:

1. soft reset
2. noted the memory --> 27.2MB (yep, for some reason 3.0.4 saves more memory)
3. clicked on PocketWord...
4. clicked on PocketExcel
5. closed PocketWord using PocketPlus' "Close" button
6. closed PocketExcel using PocketPlus' "Close" button
7. checked memory --> 27.0MB
8. clicked on Repligo
9. selected to view one Repligo file to view
10. closed Repligo using PocketPlus' "Close" button (same file as before)
11. checked memory --> 26.9MB
12. repeat steps 3 to 6
13. checked memory --> remains at 26.9MB
14. moved through PocketBreeze Tasks, then to ContactBreeze
15. checked memory --> dropped to 26.1MB
16. use Resco Audio Recorder for some 10 second voice memo
17. checked memory --> 25.3MB
18. repeat steps 3 to 6
19. checked memory --> remains at 25.3MB
20. checked Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel
21. checked memory --> at 25.2MB
---

based on this i can say that some sort of memory is being "used up," and this may be some previous state, ie., acting like a "cache/buffer"???

but, i guess you're right - there is not much significant variance between 2.5 and 3.0.4...

hhhmmm...