View Full Version : Which VGA PPC is for me?

Wwoody123
07-21-2005, 06:47 AM
I just recently decided to make the switch from Palm to PPC and need a little help deciding which VGA PPC would be the best for my needs. I have done all the research and narrowed it down to three: the FSC LOOX 720, iPAQ hx4705, or Dell Axim X50v. I will mostly be using my PPC for games, movies, music, wi-fi, and occasionally documents for school. If it matters (for support on the LOOX 720, for example) I live in the U.S. Any help is appreciated!

Menneisyys
07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Already checked out the link collection at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117248 ?

Menneisyys
07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
As you're in the US (meaning much higher PL720 prices than in Europe) and want to use your device as a gaming device (which is pretty hard on the hx4700) and only rarely use your PPC for document reading (there, the bigger screen, the better), I'd go with the x50v.

Darius Wey
07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm a Dell dude, but ignoring that fact, I think you'll find the X50v to be the most feature-packed and price-balanced VGA device on the market.

juni
07-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I assume everyone will vote on the device they have themselves ;)

Menneisyys
07-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Not necessarily - for example, my VGA device is a PL720; still voted for the x50v :)

Duncan
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
It's in Menneisyys's link collection but if you need to look at the specs for those PPCs side by side you can do that here: http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm :)

applejosh
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Based on your wants/needs, I'd have to agree with Menneisyys' assessment. Get a Dell, dude.

Kowalski
07-21-2005, 04:23 PM
i find axim the worst of VGA devices for myself, but i voted for axim too

Patrick Y.
07-22-2005, 04:44 AM
I recommend x50v for its price. a730w is my favorite VGA device, but it is just too expensive. Also, there is no upgrade for it. :evil:

x50v is really cheap with all the features it offers. Besides, Dell always offers OUTRAGEOUSLY good deals. I got my for $398 with 2200mah extended battery and 3 years of exchange warranty. (originally $677) :wink:

PL720 is good too. Though, I wouldn't even consider 4700. The gigantic, ugly, expensive iPAQ just don't suit my taste. (sorry)

Wwoody123
07-22-2005, 06:35 AM
I really appreciate all that each of you have said and have weighed everything equally and am starting to lean towards the AXIM X50v. The HP is starting to seem out of the ballpark with the price and the dell is looking really sweet. With an excellent processor and the ability to upgrade the battery, since I'm mostly looking at games, movies, and music would I be ok with the dell? I'm kind of reluctant to have to order a LOOX from Europe being a U.S. resident... Any further input is still greatly needed in wrapping this case up! Thanks.

Darius Wey
07-22-2005, 06:52 AM
I really appreciate all that each of you have said and have weighed everything equally and am starting to lean towards the AXIM X50v. The HP is starting to seem out of the ballpark with the price and the dell is looking really sweet. With an excellent processor and the ability to upgrade the battery, since I'm mostly looking at games, movies, and music would I be ok with the dell? I'm kind of reluctant to have to order a LOOX from Europe being a U.S. resident... Any further input is still greatly needed in wrapping this case up! Thanks.

If you're looking at games, then the X50v is certainly the way to go. More and more games utilising the X50v's 2700G GPU are starting to surface, and with Windows Mobile 5.0 supporting Direct3D Mobile, I can only see the graphical capabilities of the X50v continuing to shine in the future.

My two cents? Go with the Dell. HP's device is a tad large (if size is important to you), and the cost of the device itself isn't great. Besides, if you order the X50v from Dell USA now, you'll get the chance to cash in on their "up to 35% off" sale, as well as receive the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade CD for free when it ships in October.

applejosh
07-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I've also been hearing some bad things about the HP (and buggy ROM updates, etc.) The only real netgative thing I've heard about the Dell is that the screen is a little less contrasty (bright?) than the HP. But of course it costs loads less. Also, if you're in the US, I don't know how warranty repair would work for the Fujitsu (it may be painless, I really don't know). With the Dell, at least you know who to call (and you can get an express replacement plan quite easily). Anyway, that's all I can think of.

Wwoody123
07-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for there huge assistance in helping me decide which PPC was best for me! I've decided to go with the Axim X50v and am now starting to look for the best price. If anyone knows of anything better than Dell.com or eBay, please let me know! Thanks again!

Patrick Y.
07-23-2005, 03:12 AM
http://forums.slickdeals.net/t92113.html?&page=102&pp=15

Try the link above. You can find LOTS of coupons there. Though, you might need to compete for it. :wink:

Wwoody123
07-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Just verified the order of 2 Axims and saved over $200 using slickdeals.net you all have been an incredible help and I intend to return for more advice and chatting in the future! Thanks again!

Patrick Y.
07-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear that you ordered x50v!! Enjoy. :wink: :D Personally, I got a lot of helps from PocketPCThoughts and Aximsite too when I purchased by Axim. Anyway, good luck with your Axim!!