View Full Version : Wanted: Brass stylus for hx2755

decay
07-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Good day!

I've just bought an iPAQ hx2755 and would like to get a nicely weighted, brass stylus to replace the stock one (chrome, black, whatever color, as long as it has decent weight). My first stop was PDA Panache, where I've bought styli for my Newton and my iPAQ h4355. However, they don't make an hx2755 stylus nor does it sound like they have plans to do so. I don't need the 3-in-1 type stylus, although the reset pin wouldn't be bad, so 2-in-1 is cool. Hey, if it's a quality stylus, any other features are just gravy.

Does anyone have a recommendation specifically for the hx2755?

Thank you!

Dana

stevelam
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
You could try this:

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PSI-1924&Category_Code=ipaqhx2750&Product_Count=3

The "Ipaq 2750 (hx2750) Accessories" page (link at the top) says that it is made of brass and chrome plated.

Hope it helps!!

decay
07-27-2005, 03:24 AM
Hmmm, that's odd - I can't find anywhere on the page where either brass or chrome is mentioned. I thank you for the pointer, but I must've missed something, since I couldn't find it anywhere.

It seems like good, solid replacement styli are hard to find...

stevelam
07-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Hmmm, that's odd - I can't find anywhere on the page where either brass or chrome is mentioned. I thank you for the pointer, but I must've missed something, since I couldn't find it anywhere.

It seems like good, solid replacement styli are hard to find...

I see what you mean. I swear that it used to say that. It is obviously a giant conspiricy against people who like proper stylii.

stevelam
07-27-2005, 08:54 AM
I have e-mailed the company so we should find out what it is very soon!!

stevelam
07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Bad news, they changed it recently and it is now aluminium. Soz mate.

decay
07-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained - I really appreciate the pointer & the effort! I'll just keep on searching for the elusive brass stylus...

Cheers! :)

jickbahtech
07-29-2005, 10:29 PM
If you find someone making a good stylus for the 4700 or rx3000 series, it should be compatible with the 2700. I'm pretty sure they all went to the same design.

decay
07-30-2005, 03:28 AM
When you're laying out $20 for a stylus, one generally wants to make sure that "should be" translates to "is." (Define "is"...) ;) Does anyone have both an hx2700 series and either an rx3000 or an hx4700? If so, can you validate whether or not the stylus from one fits well into the other? I had pondered whether there might be some compatibility between the plethora of iPAQs, but there's no way for me to tell. If it turns out there is, I'm in luck because PDA Panache has a stylus for both of the units mentioned!

rx3000:
http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=IPQS

hx4700:
http://www.pdapanache.com/products.asp?PID=IPQS2

Can anyone verify if this is the case? There's gotta be a coupla collectors out there, right? Please??? :) Thanks!

Dana

stevelam
08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
If you are any good at technical drawing you could e-mail me the size of the stylus you already have and I'll try to make one for you. It'll be a couple of months though (september) as I am on my summer break at the moment!! The address is steve (DOT) lamerton (AT) gmail (DOT) com

Cheers

decay
08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Steve -

Thank you for the very kind offer. :D Very intriguing, but I'm not sure I could give you a decent enought technical drawing to give you all the proper specs. I'll see if I can give it a shot, however, since truly custom styli are cooler than words!

Here's one ray of hope, from the Panache folks, that I just received this AM:
Thanks for contacting us. Yes, the IPQS2 model stylus would fit the hx2700 as well as various other current iPaq models.

The bad news is that at this time they are all out of stock. We will have a new iPaq stylus model available again in another month or so. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So, we'll see which comes first! Thank you for the help and the offer!

stevelam
08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
When it says other Ipaqs does that mean the h2210 as well. If so I have one right here. Is the size of yours about 97mm long and has a diameter of 4mm at the widest point? Even if you do get one from them could I try and make one any way? I would love the challenge!

jickbahtech
08-01-2005, 06:29 PM
The replacement styli for the 4700 and the 2750 are the same HP part number FA261A.

Anywhere you can find 4700 styli, they "SHOULD" work on your 2750. :wink:

Let us know what you eventually use I'd like to replace my 2750's crappy styli too.

decay
08-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Is the size of yours about 97mm long and has a diameter of 4mm at the widest point? Even if you do get one from them could I try and make one any way? I would love the challenge!

That sounds pretty close to mine. I measured, and from the writing tip of the stylus to the opposite end is exactly 99mm - the diameter is dead-on @ 4mm. If you have the time to try your hand at a custom stylus, that would be fantastic! Here's some additional description about it (I could take a digi pic, but being completely black I doubt much detail would show - let me know):
- The diameter is a consistent 4mm from the fingerhook end (where you hook your fingernail to pull the stylus out) towards the tip end, but then it tapers inward; there's also the fingerhook, which is a protruding bump on one end (details below)
- The stylus writing tip is 4mm long, 2mm at its widest, tapering to a heavy 1mm where you actually write with it
- The taper of the shaft starts ~19mm from the tip end and appears to be a continuous inward taper; therefore, using the tip length from above, there is a 15 mm tapered area
- The diameter of the shaft, where the tapering ends and the tip starts, is ~2.5mm
- The width of the fingerhook is 3mm; the length is 7mm, the depth is 2mm (when you measure the stylus diameter including the fingerhook, it's 6mm because of the fingerhook depth)
- There's ~2.5mm of length where the fingerhook blends into the stylus at the top, so you could say that the fingerhook's total length is actually 9.5mm. The slope of the 2.5mm is so that the stylus doesn't jut out noticeably when it's inside the iPAQ - it makes the stylus blend into the PDA.

Hope that info gives you a pretty good picture - if not, let me know what else you need! Cheers!

stevelam
08-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Could you e-mail me a picture of the stylus on a piece of white paper with a ruler next to it (metric if possible).

Thanks

decay
08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
It's in your email! Thank you!