View Full Version : Strange folders and can't read tsks on CF card!

ironguy
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM
My Yahtzee game folder is gone! I have several new folders resident on my CF card. They are:
. (yes, just a period)
DK
1k 4k.
If I try to delete them, I get a 'cannot delete, files/folders in ROM'. Theya re selectable in Explorer but are empty.

In addition, none of the tsk files in the My Docs folder show up in the Today settings. I can move the tsk files to SD and they're fine. Programs seem to work OK too. With my WisBarAdv2, none of the themes on my CF card show up. Word Docs on my Cf show up just fine in TextMaker.

It's almost like a virus...

Anyone experienced this?

ironguy
07-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I looked at my CF card in a multi card reader on my PC. The aforementioned folders are not visible.

I checked for errors, defragged and put the card in my PPC.

Exactly the same result.

Menneisyys
07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
If the problems don't go away (if you've already issued the chkdsk command (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39583) on your PC), just copy all your (readable) directories/files from the card to your PC, format the card (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3591) and copy your files back.

ironguy
07-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I copied the files to my PC, then reformatted the card. I then moved the files back to the CF card. My PPC still won't read .tsk files from the My Docs folder. The strange folders are gone though which is nice.

I'm beginning to wonder if something happened to the unit that caused a corruption of the CF card. Maybe it's time for a hard reset...

Nurhisham Hussein
07-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Anytime a new card is inserted into a PPC, a ignore_my_docs hidden file is created. Have you tried looking for this file and deleting it? (might need to enable 'view all files' from PPC file explorer, and the same through activesync).

Menneisyys
07-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Anytime a new card is inserted into a PPC, a ignore_my_docs hidden file is created. Have you tried looking for this file and deleting it? (might need to enable 'view all files' from PPC file explorer, and the same through activesync).

The ignore_my_docs file is only automatically created if there is no \My Documents directory on the card. However, if the user (later) creates the directory, the ignore_my_docs file won't be automaticvally removed.

If there is still a ignore_my_docs file in the root directory of the card, then, the TSK files indeed won't be visible if put in \My Documents. They need to be put in the root directory of the card; or, the ignore_my_docs file must be removed.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks Menny :lol:

ironguy
07-22-2005, 01:23 AM
I have had this 512mb cf card for 2 years. I created a My Documents folder 2 years ago. Now, there's an 'ignore_my_docs' file. Don't know why, but I deleted it and my stuff is back.

Oh, did I mention this was after I did a hard reset? And the hard reset didn't solve the problem (duh!)?

Thanks all!

Menneisyys
07-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Oh, did I mention this was after I did a hard reset? And the hard reset didn't solve the problem (duh!)?

A hard reset won't resolve the problem - if there is a ignore_my_docs file in the root of the CF card (this file isn't deleted by the hard reset), the contents of \My Documents will simply be ignored by the Today applet.