View Full Version : Benq P50 VS. HTC Universal!! any thoughts??

saru83
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
hi folks, i'm a Jam Owner, & i'm so confused about these 2 devices, they have a lot of similer specifications, but totally different form factors, so i will very glad if u guys share with me ur thoughts about these 2 devices, what do u think about them, which one do u like more and why???

Thnaks in advance.

Darius Wey
07-18-2005, 11:50 PM
The HTC Universal has (1) Windows Mobile 5.0, (2) a clam-shell form factor, (3) 3G support, (4) a VGA screen, and (5) more RAM and ROM. If you can find it in your heart that these advantages will make it a clear winner over the P50, then I'd go for the Universal.

The P50 offers very little at this stage, and it's still not available in all markets around the world. If you wait around just a little longer, I think you'll find the wait for the Universal to be worth it.

Typhoon
07-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Yea, I will buy the HTC Universal as well. But it is the wait that kills... It is a good thing I just bought the UX50.

saru83
07-19-2005, 03:38 AM
oh ya, i think u r right Darius Wey, the Universal is a much better device, but as Typhoon mentioned, its the wait that kills :( .... but what the heck may be its just 2-3 months... anyways, thx guys for sharing... :D

Kowalski
07-19-2005, 07:37 AM
my vote goes to Benq. first of all a device which you cannot fit in your pocket cant be called a pocket pc. this device is huge! i will never use the 3G. right now my device has 64 RAM and 32 ROM and i dont have any problems with this configuration. and lastly universal will cost much more than benq.
see, i wouldnt pay for the features that i wont use

Typhoon
07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
my vote goes to Benq. first of all a device which you cannot fit in your pocket cant be called a pocket pc. this device is huge! i will never use the 3G. right now my device has 64 RAM and 32 ROM and i dont have any problems with this configuration. and lastly universal will cost much more than benq.
see, i wouldnt pay for the features that i wont use

In that case, it might not be a good idea to buy either... but people will probably buy the HTC Universal because of everything it has

saru83
07-19-2005, 07:55 AM
yes Kowalski, i can understand your point, but doesnt WM5, Big keyboard, VGA, 524MHz processor differ with u :) , it definitely depends on personal needs but i was just wondering, coz if i go for the benq i can order it right away, it should be shipped by Aug 4th from expansys :wink: , i will be gald to know what u think?

Kowalski
07-19-2005, 10:03 AM
in the computers world, people mostly think "the faster, the better", but when it comes to handhelds, it should be like this : the one that suits my needs is the best, no more no less.

the decission should depend on your priorities. for me size and durability has the hightest priority, and universal looses right in the beginning. i want my device to be as small as possible so i will fit in my jeans pocket.

524 MHz processor doesnt seem a big thing to me, considering that the device has a VGA display, you will hardly feel a performance hit. bir keyboard is not an issue too, because i have a stowaway BT keyboard(full sized keys, for touch typing). when you talk about thumb keyboards, it doesnt matter if it has small or big keys, i find them useless anyway. WM5 and VGA screen would be very nice, but there is one downside of WM5: no sync over wi-fi! this may be the only reason that i wont upgrade to WM5.

last thing i want to say is i have only a couple of programs installed on my system. PI, beta player, phat notes, phat pad pocket plus and tAgenda. thats all. 64 megs of RAM will be more than enough for me.

if i have to upgrade right now, i would go for the benq, because it would do the job for me. but if you are planning to play games, reading e-books or running system intensive programs, and you dont mind the bulk of the universal, than benq is not a good choice for you.

Typhoon
07-19-2005, 10:30 AM
in the computers world, people mostly think "the faster, the better", but when it comes to handhelds, it should be like this : the one that suits my needs is the best, no more no less.

When it gets down to it, that is very true... sometimes or once in awhile I get the feeling to read documents on an old Palm PDA w/a black 'white screen or one of those extinct green screens because it is very comfortable to read and easy on the eyes (instead of having my eyes struck by all that brightness).