View Full Version : Overclocking x50v

Patrick Y.
07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to know the best speed setting for x50v. Thanks!! :D

npatang
07-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Connection speed or browsing speed !!!!!
:mrgreen:

--Npatang

Patrick Y.
07-18-2005, 08:53 PM
uhh.. I mean the CPU speed. :oops:

Darius Wey
07-18-2005, 11:55 PM
If you value battery life, leave it on the default setting - i.e. Auto. It'll try and save battery life as much as possible, and if the times arise, it will push the CPU to the full 624MHz when it's needed most.

Patrick Y.
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually, I'm trying to find the fastest speed setting for x50v. I heard that some people even overclock it to 1Ghz. (probably not true)

saru83
07-19-2005, 05:32 AM
If overclocking is really true Patrick Y, then i would wanna over clock my Jam to 624MHz :wink:

Robb Bates
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Actually, I'm trying to find the fastest speed setting for x50v. I heard that some people even overclock it to 1Ghz. (probably not true)

I believe it's true.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehacksim%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Fp%3D4777

But the CPU gets super hot, super quick and will probably burn out if ran for any length of time. Not for the timid, or for those who want to have a usable X50v afterwards.

Robb

Patrick Y.
07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Just curious, does the warranty cover this kind of damage? Also, is it VERY likely that the CPU would smoke at 1 GHZ? 8O

jickbahtech
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
You guys are kidding right?

Overclocking can be done with little to worry about. Your worst case scenario will be a lock and hard reset, so back up early and often. Just don't expect any miracles. Real life boost to performance might only be about 10%. As you can see from the link, it should be possible to get the CPU clock speed up to 1GHz, however you wont get a performace boost until the Bus speed is increased also. Really all you'll do is make your Axim a little faster, HIGHLY UNSTABLE, and prone to lock ups. Remember faster CPU speed doesn't always mean better performance.
I don't think there would be serious concerns to physically damaging the unit, as Windows Mobile has absolutely no problems hard resetting itself (for no reason sometimes).
Currently with Pocket Hack Master on my 2750 (same processor as the x50V), I'm getting about a 20% boost (measured by GXMark, jump from 2735 to 3382) at 650MHz with the bus pumped to 260. It runs fine at this speed, and while it affects battery life, doesn't seem to hit it significantly more than when I'm playing a game anyway.

Truthfully though, I like messing with clock speed to underclock. This combined with turning the screen off will give some outstanding life to listening to music (or better battery life when using basic PIM functions).

jickbahtech
07-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm fairly certain that the PPC would hard reset itself before any damage could be done, but I'm sure Dell would frown on OC as a practice, especially from a warranty point of view.

I think in that translation the "life" they are talking is battery life...

yankeejeep
07-19-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree that damage from overclocking is very unlikely (though not totally impossible). Most likely is that an overheating device will lock up before that point is reached.

I think, though, that a maker that knows a CPU was damaged by overclocking will not consider a warranty repair. Any damage that comes from exceeding a device's specified limits is de facto beyond the maker's coverage since their warranty can only be held to cover the hardware if used according to their published limitations. Both the XScale processor and standard RAM memory can typically accomodate acceleration beyond their default ranges, but there can be stability problems. Manufacturers will only guarantee stability at the stated speed but most can function perfectly fine at higher settings. It comes down to testing your specific PPC since quality in CPU and memory varies and this will end up being the source of instability at the upper speed settings.