View Full Version : Purchase advice...

donkey33
07-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Have always been intrigued by PPC's and I actually do want one but the price/benefit ratio for me has always been a problem.

I came very close to buying a Dell x50v a while back but at $899 AUD, it was just a bit too steep for me.

I went to Dell Australia yesterday and noticed that the x50v is priced at $578 AUD which is great compared to what I've seen in the past. (20% off deal)

Dell Australia (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c=au&id=axim_au&l=en&s=dhs)

I'm very close to getting it but before I make the plunge I just wanted to post here to see if there is anything I should consider or not.

Like, are they offering 20% off these devices because the new models are just around the corner?

I know that WM2005 is due out soon but apparently it will be available on the x50v. If new PPC's are due to arrive soon, would it be better to wait since the x50x has lack of RAM and battery life? What price would the new PPC's retail at though?

Thanks

donkey33
07-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Sorry to press but no advice?

It's just that the deal for 20$ off finishes on the 22nd so I wanted to see what you guys thought before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks

Darius Wey
07-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Go with the X50v. The lack of RAM won't be a problem after persistent storage kicks in with Windows Mobile 5.0. Battery life will also be improved.

The reason I ask you to get it now is that we probably won't be expecting a new wave of devices until late Q4 2005, Q1 2006, or even later, and prices are still an uncertainty. You'll grow tired waiting around otherwise. :) Besides, it's rare for Dell AU to be offering the X50v for that cheap. Get it while it lasts. ;)

donkey33
07-18-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks.

That's what I was thinking. It's fairly cheap considering when I last saw it, it was a fair bit more.

Well, if new devices are that far away, I really have no excuse not to get one before the 22nd.

dMores
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
i have no experience with the dell devices you mentioned.

but i did get my brother an ipaq h4155 and it's great.
it is really small, powerful and wasn't that expensive.
(well ... i got it for free from a wonderful forum called pocketpcthoughts ;) ) but even if i hadn't won it, i would probably have gone with it.
it's priced ok at around US$400. there is a cheaper version available, i think it's called h1940 which is a lot less expensive and still really small.

my suggestion is always to go to a store and play around with the devices and find the one that you enjoy most.
because pictures on the net and reviews can only give you a rough overview, the look and feel needs to be evaluated in person.

update: yes, it's the h1940 and it's around US$225
specs: http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Compaq_iPAQ_Pocket_PC_H1940

man .. this is the fourth edit. i can't seem to type numbers properly today :)

jimbo
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
How could you consider the Dell when the HP hx4700 is available. I've got one and everything about it it fantastic. Admittedly I've not handled the Dell, but..........it's UGLY! Consider also that you may have to pay for the WM 5.0 upgrade. That's my 2 cents.

twmiller
07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
For what its worth, I am getting the x50v. The price is right. Do a google on 'reviews x50v' - that will help.

donkey33
07-18-2005, 03:56 PM
How could you consider the Dell when the HP hx4700 is available. I've got one and everything about it it fantastic. Admittedly I've not handled the Dell, but..........it's UGLY! Consider also that you may have to pay for the WM 5.0 upgrade. That's my 2 cents.

Honestly, I like the look of the Dell over the HP. The more rounded shape draws me. Not to mention the fact that it's $578 AUD compared to around $800 for the HX 4700. That's a fair bit less right there.

Plus, when I order, I'm going to try and get the WM 5.0 upgrade included (when it's available) since I'm buying close to the release date. Can only try.

For what its worth, I am getting the x50v. The price is right. Do a google on 'reviews x50v' - that will help.

Yeah, I've been reading your post as well and checked out that review. Everything at the moment seems good with the Dell.

Four more days until the 20% drops so I need to decide soon.

uzetaab
07-20-2005, 02:15 AM
It's been my experience that HP Australia don't have very good customer support.

I work in retail & over the years HP have screwed over most of the customers that have had problems with their products. I hear that HP USA are very good, but over here it's just not worth the risk.

I personally would get the Dell for that reason alone.