View Full Version : Windows Media Player Sync Question

BLayman
07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I have a new E750 running on Windows Mobile 2003. I am trying to sync a 212 mb licensed WMA (with three syncs remaining) from XP Pro SP2 with Media player 10 to my PDA (with Media Player 9 of course). I am trying to place it on my 256mb Secur Digital card which has 242mb free.

When I hit sync, the only info I am told is that "Media Player has encountered an unknown error." after it hits 0% It does not transfer.

Does any one have any suggestions?

I have tried reformatting the card using fat32 (was fat 16) and various sector sizes and cluster sizes.

Does anyone have experience getting licensed WMAs synced to their PDAs?

Thanks
A long time reader - never a poster. Boy this place has changed in the last few years!

npatang
07-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Are you syncing directly on a card ( Not possible with the activesync software) or you are copying and pasting it in the explore window.

May be "Mobsync software" can help you if you want to sync the file directly on a card.

--Npatang

BLayman
07-15-2005, 08:34 PM
LOL Yeesh - the last topic I remember reading here was just after the format change in 2002...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Feb 5, 2002. I used to come here every day before that through AvantGo and the PDA formated version of the page. Then it stopped working. So now it's been 3+ years and here I am!

BLayman
07-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Are you syncing directly on a card ( Not possible with the activesync software) or you are copying and pasting it in the explore window.

May be "Mobsync software" can help you if you want to sync the file directly on a card.

--Npatang

Neither. I am trying to use Windows Media player because it is the only software I know of that will transfer the license to an MP3 player or PDA.

I don't know that Mobsync can transfer licenses.

---
Maybe I should clarify that I use my PDA to listen to audiobooks checked out from NetLibrary.com. That's a site, which when you use a card from a participating library, allows you to check out any of 867 audio books using a licensing scheme developed by Microsoft. The file may be played on one computer for 21 days before it expires. You are also able to syncronize the file using Windows Media player version 9 (and newer) up to three times to a MP3 player or PDA that also supports WM9 and newer.

I upgraded from an e740 this week to an E750 in order to eliminate the errr more elaborate methods I used to get the files onto the e740.

BLayman
07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
No one is using copy protected WMAs on a Pocket PC????

Sven Johannsen
07-21-2005, 08:17 PM
The only combination that supports DRM'd file syncs between a desktop and removable memory is MP10 on both devices. MP9 anywhere in the mix and you can't do it to the card (or to Built-in storage, which the system sees as Flash and assumes is removable)

The usual suggestion is to burn the file to an audio CD format and re-rip it. Don't know if that is an option for you.

BLayman
07-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Ah... I guess that makes some sense... It is very dissapointing though. They advertise the sync feature of MSN9 working with the E750 (which largely I guess it does). So you'd think they'd be able to come up with a better error than "An unexpected error has occurred". Now that I have the right MS name for it, thanks, I can research this further.

I hope there's a way to get it to work. I have a full duplex sound card so I can play it back from media player and record it using Music Match 9 which will the books at the chapter markers. That makes the files smaller and more manageable but it is a step I would not mind eliminating.

Info that gives me hope (from the MS DRM FAQ):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm/faq.aspx#drmfaq_1_1

3.5 Does Windows Media DRM support limits on the number of digital media file transfers to portable devices or portable media?
Yes. Windows Media DRM adds a right in the license to enable or disable copying to a portable device or portable media. When enabled, the packaged digital media file can be copied to a portable device or portable media. The license is bound to a unique ID on the portable device or media.

3.13 How do I protect digital media files with Windows Media DRM so they can be played by older Windows Media Players, such as Windows Media Player 6.4? What are the drawbacks, if any?
You can package the digital media files using Windows Media Rights Manager 9 Series, the newly released packager and license server. For Windows Media Player 6.4, you need to put a separate URL for version 1 license acquisition in the header. Windows Media Player 6.4 can use this URL to acquire a version 1 license for the content or this URL can point the user to an "upgrade to Windows Media Player 9 Series" page. The version 1 license has limited business models functionalities and lower security than the version 7.x or version 9 licenses available to newer Windows Media Players. Windows Media Rights Manager 9 Series can issue all licenses, from version 1 licenses, to version 7.x and version 9 licenses.

Thanks again for your help!