View Full Version : Don't want to use your PDA?

Gremmie
07-15-2005, 05:27 AM
I've posted (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8089&highlight=) on this topic previously. The question is: do you ever avoid using your PDA in public to avoid questions?

I've had a PDA for a long time and for quite some time I would not use it in public because a lot of people would catch the glow of the screen. Part of hiding my usage was for safety and just wanting to avoid questions. Now I'm using it more frequently since public uage of electronics (e.g. MP3 Players, PDAs) are becoming more common.

I'm curious if this trend has carried over for others. In sort, this question is a barometer of the acceptence of PDAs in public. (http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/06/news/newsmakers/stevejobs_ipod/)

Kowalski
07-15-2005, 07:59 AM
the situation was very different two years ago, but thanks to Nokia i can use my device in public without getting silly questions! Because they are making mobile phones sizes bigger than an ordinary pda, and i am sure curious people think that this is another device they sell with stupid symbian OS

npatang
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Well i think now a days eveybody is using there devices in public.
NOw everything is open in the market and ppeoplr know each and everything what you can you browse or not ...
So using device in publicx area is not a problem now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Kenepp
07-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Like Kowalski and npatang, I would have had a different answer a few years ago.

There are times when I don't pull it out, however. If the train is too crowded and I would be in fear of someone bumping in to me, forcing me to drop my 2215, it will stay in my bag.

Come to think of it, if I am in a situation where I would expect people to ask me questions about my handheld, I don't think I would use it. Can't think of when that might be though.

Jon Westfall
07-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I love educating people on the uses of a Pocket PC, so I never hesitate to take it out unless I'm in an environment where I fear I might get beaten over the head for it (Fairly Rare). When I had my i-mate PPC I always got a big kick out of people because the first question they'd ask after seeing all the neat stuff it could do was "Where did you get it". The look on their face (Especially of Electronics Store's Clerks) was priceless when I told them I had it imported from Dubai because you can't buy it here.

npatang
07-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I agree with the all the forums here.
When I board the train here in INDIA i cannot move my hands so how can use the PDA's in such a crowded train :devilboy:

--Npatang

PocketPC Addict
07-17-2005, 01:09 AM
I always whip it out to write down a note or something. But I'll admit, I hate to record voice notes on it in front of people. They absolutely ALWAYS make a comment about it like "ooooooh You are so organized! Does your secretary type that up later?" I just haven't come up with a comeback yet. :wink:

Jon Westfall
07-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I always whip it out to write down a note or something. But I'll admit, I hate to record voice notes on it in front of people. They absolutely ALWAYS make a comment about it like "ooooooh You are so organized! Does your secretary type that up later?" I just haven't come up with a comeback yet. :wink:

This IS the secretary.