View Full Version : Move data from Palm/DateBk5 -> PPC/Informant

lewisyu
07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Just ordered a Axim X50v to replace my T3. I have a lot of data in DateBk5 & Palm Desktop. I am wondering what is the best method I can migrate the data from DataBk5 to Informant.

Can any previous switchers share your experience?

:)

applejosh
07-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Sync to Outlook from your T3 (using the Outlook conduits included with Palm Desktop - probably best to make sure all the patches and such from Palm are applied (there were some specifically to deal with Outlook issues)). Handheld overwrites desktop is the way to go for that. Then when you create a partnership with the Axim, the PIM data will transfer over. Things like icons, links, etc. will NOT be transferred since those are DateBk specific items. You can setup similar things using PI, but it will be a manual process.

If you don't have Outlook now, you will when you get your Axim (since all PPC's come with a copy of Outlook for the desktop since that's the only thing they sync with).

Have fun with the Axim. I'm jealous.

Addendum: Also look at PocketBreeze as an add-on when you get settled in. It's a Today screen plugin which works really well with PI. http://www.sbsh.net

AKAJohnDoe
08-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Does PI have the same simple elegance in linking to a phone/contact entry from a calendar/appointment entry that DATEBK5 does?

Or, perhaps better, does WM5 have linking capability?

This linking that I extensively use in DATEBK5 is an absolute neccessity for me on my X50V.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-25-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't know about elegence, but PI does have linking capability, and its not limited to appointments - you can link from contacts to appointments to taks or vice versa in any of the edit screens. Even better, it also supports linking of documents, pictures, or any other file on your PDA, and you can also filter the content that you want displayed.

AKAJohnDoe
08-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Definitely not as elegant as DATEBK5.

AKAJohnDoe
08-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Definitely not as elegant as DATEBK5.

But it is best in show on PPC, so I bought it to use.