View Full Version : Same device, same computer, same network, different users ?

npatang
07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
I have 2 different users on network. They are using the same computer and same device .
When first user logs in he create the partnership with the dell axim and then logs off from the computer,
Then the 2nd user logs in and create the partnership with the same device.
Now when the second user logs off and first user logs in and try to sync it again asked fot the partnership.
So the issue is that whenever the users are lodding in it is asking for the partnership . Is there any option to stop that or it is a desing of activesync software ?

npatang
07-11-2005, 11:29 PM
If somebody have some little idea about this please help me on this!!! :)

Cybrid
07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
If somebody have some little idea about this please help me on this!!! :)Follow the create partnerships prompts carefully. make sure the two devices have separate names.

yankeejeep
07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
A single device can only maintain one primary partnership. So one of the users can have the primary (and sync email) and the other will need to be the secondary (can sync everything except email). To carry that out successfully, though, you will need to have them clearly distinguished and that is a little more work using one computer and one device for two connections. I think you may need to install ActiveSync on each user's computer account (two installations, each available to that specific user only) in order for the two sync connections to be recognized as two different partnerships. If you have installed AS to be available to all users it will most likely recognize that you are using one device and assume that you want to replace one partnership with the other.

npatang
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the help but thet doesn't work :(

--Npatang

applejosh
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Follow the create partnerships prompts carefully. make sure the two devices have separate names.

Unfortunately, I believe it's one device, one computer, two separate users. I don't know if that's possible, since the the partnership (on the device) is listed by computer name, and essentially it sounds like you're trying to create two partnerships with the same computer name. The PocketPC wasn't meant to be multi-user, so syncing two different profiles (i.e. Outlook profiles) from the same computer (which will probably confuse the PocketPC because partnerships on the PPC are listed by computer name) might result in the end of life as we know it. But in reality, I think the problem stems from using two different users on the same computer. Anyone follow my logic, or should I try again?

npatang
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey you know wha it id working now!!!!!
I created the partnership and select the option "sync only with this computer" and when second user logs in I select the option "sync with two computer" and after that it doesn't promt me for partnership !!! :lol:

Thanks for the help :mrgreen:

yankeejeep
07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, if trying to install ActiveSync in two individual this-user-only installations does not work, then I think Applejosh is correct and there is no way to carry this out on one computer. I have never tried installing AS in any mode other than all-users and was not certain whether it could be done. Even if it did work, though, you would start getting a great deal of duplication and unintentional deletions in your Outlook folders as AS would be trying to keep the data synced between two different connections (since you would need to keep it functioning as if it were one device connecting to two computers). And only one user would be able to keep Outlook email synced (at least through plain AS).

That being said, I recall seeing on either PocketGear or Handango recently an app that gives greater partnership control on the PPC (which is where the two-partnership limit resides). Whether or not it would be helpful to you, only you can judge. It would be worth browsing the sync apps on those sites and you could also check the software encyclopedia on PocketPCMag.com to see if they have any sync enhancers that could open up more possibilities for you. But keep in mind what Applejosh has observed: WM devices are not intended to be multi-user and there will be very significant limitations on how far in that direction you can take one.

Something else that might be worth adding to the AS installation is Pocket Mirror for WM, which will significantly enhance the AS-native sync options for Outlook folders to include.