View Full Version : WiFi out again on 2755 after ROM update

windmilltilting
07-10-2005, 05:54 AM
The letter I sent to HP board of directors says it all.

I have been a long time HP customer. I have owned an Ipaq 3835, 4155, and recently purchased a 2755 in April 2005. I was very pleased with the 4155 when I made my decision; I wanted the newer model because I felt that my needs had outgrown its capacity. I had high hopes for the 2755 because the 4155 had been so reliable. Within the first week with my new 2755 I started experiencing problems with the wireless LAN. After exhausting all options on the internet and many hours of resets and reinstalls I called customer service. This was frustrating because they immediately wanted me to perform hard resets and reinstalls. Due to the nature of windows mobile, this is a lengthy involved process, which I had already invested a great deal of time on. Then they informed me that I would have to send the unit back to HP for service with a five day turn around. This was very inconvenient. I rely on this device to manage my very complicated hectic schedule and as a reference tool for my occupation. I am a Police Officer, and I need my calendar and references in a handy, easily accessible format. The pocket pc is perfect for this, but if it is at HP getting repaired, it is worthless to me. I was a good sport, and sent it in anyway. When my unit was returned, the documentation on the repair form stated that no parts were replaced and the problem description stated "other- see comments". A second letter was included which detailed the procedure for performing a full reset (the very first thing I tried). My unit seemed to work however, and I assumed HP had a better flash ROM procedure which was applied to my device.

About three months have passed, and although my 2755 has been a little buggy, I have been pleased. When the recent ROM update was posted I installed it, with the reasonable expectation that at least some of the minor bugs would have been worked out. I was disappointed. As far as I can tell, there is no appreciable difference in the performance of my Ipaq except that the wireless LAN issues from April have returned. Tonight, I called HP support and after forty five minutes on hold, have been informed that I will have to send the unit back to HP to get the LAN card replaced. This SHOULD have been done when I was terribly inconvenienced in April, or more horrifically, I am to be inconvenienced twice unnecessarily due to a software problem. HP support has been less than apologetic through the ordeal. The 2755 is supposed to be the best HP product on the market; I am surprised at the poor quality I have experienced and the lack of support from HP. Fellow Police Officers often come to me for advice on handheld computers, and I have often recommended your products. I feel very strongly under these circumstances that I will have to cease making HP recommendations.

I feel that your technical support should be able to accurately diagnose whether a hardware problem exists, and if there is a software problem, it should be repairable by the customer. If the hardware is at fault, then HP should have an exchange program in place, to insulate its customers from inconvenience due to poor quality. In April, HP should have sent me a NEW unit, not a refurb. After three months or so, I think a refurb would be reasonable, as long as the unit was free of obvious wear. I do not think it is reasonable to inconvenience me further than an express mail trade when the product you sold me for over five hundred dollars is at fault.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I cannot help but be upset with these circumstances. For your reference, my serial # is XXXXXXXXX, and my case # is XXXXXXXXXXX.

What do you guys think?

pjerry220
07-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I think your letter is clear and to the point. I think HP should supply you a replacement HP 2700. We have a 2700 at work that works flawlessly so it could be you got a lemon.

HP normally does the rght thing.

Good luck,

Jimmy Dodd
07-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Hopefully, HP will make good on this. I've never had any big trouble with any of their products (and I have had quite a few of their PCs, PDAs, etc.), but I would hope that I would get resolution pretty fast if I were in your shoes.

I haven't had any problems with my 2755 other than having to soft reset it two out of three mornings after it sits all night. I've learned to live with that, though.

Keep us informed as to what the results are, and good luck!

windmilltilting
07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I am sending it back to HP for "repair" again. I will enclose the past service history and my nastygram to HP CEO Board. Maybe I will get lucky this time and they will actually fix it. I did cheat a little, and did email AND phone support. The phone guy didn't even try this time. He started with the reset procedure and I cut him off at the knees. Then he asked if the blue LED was lighting,(no) and told me to send it in, assuring me it would be actually repaired this time. The email support was interesting.

Here is their initial response.

Dear HP Customer,

Thank you for contacting HP eServices.

We understand from your previous case ID XXXXXXXXX that you have already performed a soft reset, a hard reset and also sent in the iPAQ for service. We infer from your e-mail that there must be an issue with the WLAN card driver settings. We suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the card for information regarding the driver settings. They would be able to assist you in this regard.

We hope that the above information answers your query to your satisfaction.

my reply. (You don't get much DUH! these days but DUHHH!)

The WLAN card is INSIDE the 2755...when I contact you I AM contacting the manufacturer. Instead of blowing me off for the third time, perhaps it would be more constructive to fix the product you sold me.

And their second response.

Dear HP Customer,

Thank you for contacting HP eServices.

This is with reference to your e-mail regarding the service for your iPAQ.

In order to resolve the issue, we suggest that you send the iPAQ in for service.

If you intend to send the iPAQ for service, then please provide us information in the following format:

Your Full Name:
Serial No of the iPAQ:
Address:
Zip Code:
City:
State:
Tel no:
Alternate Telephone number for contact:
E-mail Address (the one you prefer us to communicate through):

They go on to let me know that if they decide I broke it they will charge me an arm and a leg to fix it with an $85.50 diagnostic fee.

I can't help but get angrier. This morning, I reset the heck out of it about 8 times with no wifi. This evening, when I woke up, it was working. I really do wonder if it is software, but I have posted and searched on this problem quite a bit, and I have yet to hear anyone say "me too!"

windmilltilting
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Got a call from HP this AM. I was asleep, and now I can't get back to bed. too excited. It was customer care. The guy didn't make excuses, he said I was completely right, and he would overnight me a new unit. I have already sent it in for repair, so he told me they would just keep my old one. I can't really complain any more. I appealled to the man, and got a fair shake. I wanted everybody to know I had a happy ending :D

Jimmy Dodd
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm glad it's going to work out for you. The 2755 is a great little unit.