View Full Version : Better Today Weather plug-in than Pocket Weather

Robb Bates
07-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I have Pocket Weather from SBSH, but it has an annoying quirk of constantly redrawing itself. Everytime ANYTHING happens with the today screen, including using the navigation pad to scroll down each item, PW redraws itself. And it's not the fastest at redrawing either. Half a second each time maybe. That doesn't seem like alot but when it redraws itself five six seven times in a row, that really starts to add up.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm looking for another Today Weather plug-in. Something that is simple, reliable and free. I don't need much, just something that will give me a five day forecast with the highs, lows, precent chance of rain and a simple forecast (cloudy, windy, isolated showers, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Robb

baker
07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I use Stocks & Weather Today and it does well for me. There is also a weather only version.

ctmagnus
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
I tried WeatherPanel but found that it tended to muck with my connection icon. But otherwise, I quite enjoyed it. I currently use Spb Weather and I its ability to integrate with Pocket Plus and Diary. It doesn't go into nearly as much detail as WeatherPanel or PocketWeather but it does the job for me.

coolabah
07-08-2005, 02:51 AM
I have Pocket Weather from SBSH, but it has an annoying quirk of constantly redrawing itself. Everytime ANYTHING happens with the today screen, including using the navigation pad to scroll down each item, PW redraws itself. And it's not the fastest at redrawing either. Half a second each time maybe. That doesn't seem like alot but when it redraws itself five six seven times in a row, that really starts to add up.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm looking for another Today Weather plug-in. Something that is simple, reliable and free. I don't need much, just something that will give me a five day forecast with the highs, lows, precent chance of rain and a simple forecast (cloudy, windy, isolated showers, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Robb

Well... don't know if this is any good to you but if you are running a today screen program that lets you put PW in a tab, this would fix this issue e.g I use PocketBreeze and run PW in a tab. PW does not however as a result of this reside on my today screen all the time (unless I keep this tab selected as it were).

amitregev
07-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Any suggestions?

Robb

Hi Robb :)

I'm glad to say we managed to solve the flashing issue we had with PocketWeather version 1.0.X and with our upcoming version 1.1 (which of course will be free upgrade) that will soon be released this will be fixed :)

I hope this helps.

Phillip Dyson
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I own SPB Weather and WeatherPanel. Not sure if I tried PocketWeather at all. Can't remember.

I ended up with WeatherPanel simply because SPB Weather didn't give me enough information. No change of rain, no weather alerts....

WeatherPanel does have quite a bit that I don't use, but it looks cool. :)
I like the radar funciton alot.

How does PocketWeather compare in the information that it provides?

ctmagnus
07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Have you had issues with WeatherPanel mucking with your connection icon? I bought it, but found that I would eventually have to soft-reset to get the connection icon in the taskbar to display its actual status. Because of this, I reverted to Spb Weather with its lack of data.

Phillip Dyson
07-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Have you had issues with WeatherPanel mucking with your connection icon? I bought it, but found that I would eventually have to soft-reset to get the connection icon in the taskbar to display its actual status. Because of this, I reverted to Spb Weather with its lack of data.

I've never encountered that issue. I'm running the latest beta.

ctmagnus
07-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Which version is that? I know its later than 2.4.20 but that's all I could find the last time I decided to give it another whirl.

Phillip Dyson
07-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Which version is that? I know its later than 2.4.20 but that's all I could find the last time I decided to give it another whirl.

If you follow the the download link at the top of the .20 sticky it says there is a .22

Heres the link (http://wiki.marsware.net/index.php?title=Beta).

I think thats the version I have. The about section only says 2.50

Robb Bates
07-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Robb :)

I'm glad to say we managed to solve the flashing issue we had with PocketWeather version 1.0.X and with our upcoming version 1.1 (which of course will be free upgrade) that will soon be released this will be fixed :)

I hope this helps.

Oh, good! I'll look forward to it. I like PW, but it was really driving me crazy.

Robb

amitregev
07-11-2005, 02:57 PM
We hope to have a public beta out pretty soon, so the flashing issue will already be fixed with this version :)