View Full Version : We were having a perfectly polite conversation.

ADBrown
07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
If there's one thing that irritates me around here, it's that the moderators have a hair trigger finger when it comes to anything even remotely controversial. Witness this perfectly polite conversation on the subject of modern military strengths and strategy. See Mr. Moderator. See Mr. Moderator come in and have a coronary over the polite discussion.

Some reasonable limitations are of course neccessary for maintaining a subject-oriented forum environment, but when you take it too far it can play havoc with the sense of community, as well as reasonable discourse.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=353127

surur
07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Well, you knew it was going to happen ;)

Surur

Janak Parekh
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
If there's one thing that irritates me around here, it's that the moderators have a hair trigger finger when it comes to anything even remotely controversial.
Actually, the mods lock very few threads. As the forum's description states: "A forum for stuff that doesn't relate to the Pocket PC. No politics or religion discussions please - let's keep things friendly. :-)" It's standard policy on the Thoughts Media sites to end such discussion. While the thread may have been polite, in every single instance in the past, inflamed opinions have gotten involved, so this blanket policy was adopted. If you strongly disagree with it, you're welcome to send email to the admin team via the contact page above.

And, of course, there's a billion political blogs and forums where such things can be discussed, either rationally or not-so-rationally. :)

--janak

Sven Johannsen
07-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Not a moderator, and would have to agree with the board position. There are numerous places to discuss things that have a tendency to get ugly. Brighthand comes to mind :devilboy: I guess there is some validity in wondering about the opinions of PPC fanatics on subjects far removed from PPCs, but Janak is right, I've rarely seen this sort of discussion stay civilized. Might not be the initial posters, but someone always seems to jump in with flame thrower on high.

Hx4700
07-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree about limiting posts to PPC related (or at least close to it) discussions.
I have limited time to surf sites and I don't want to have to plow through political or religious discussions looking for what I think this site's subject is supposed to be about. If I wanted to get involved in other subject discussions I would look for sites that say they are for that purpose.
While some straying off point is invariable, I like that the mods keep a eye out for this and limit it quickly.
We can get of plenty controversity discussing the best uses for memory. :lol:
IMHO...
Ron...

Don't Panic!
07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
I pm'ed him a link to the ebook and web editions of the CIA World Fact Book.