View Full Version : Put pocket pc on network like another computer?

tacostick
07-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Is there a way to put your pocket pc on a home network via WIFI so you can put files and stuff on it? I dont feel like getting a bluetooth thing for my computer so this would make life a lot easier.

Sven Johannsen
07-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Yes & No. You can attach a PPC to a network via WiFi but there is no provision to share the 'drive' or a directory in the PPC OS, so you cannot copy files to the device from the network.

You can however attach to a network share from explorer on the PPC, or more easily from third party explorers and copy files from the network onto your PPC...from the PPC interface.

tacostick
07-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Can I activesync using WiFi? if so: how? ive been trying for a half hour but the connections thing in the OS is pretty crappy.

rocky_raher
07-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes & No. You can attach a PPC to a network via WiFi but there is no provision to share the 'drive' or a directory in the PPC OS, so you cannot copy files to the device from the network.

You can however attach to a network share from explorer on the PPC, or more easily from third party explorers and copy files from the network onto your PPC...from the PPC interface.
Sven,
Congratulations on making "Pocket PC Guru"!!

Sven Johannsen
07-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Sven,
Congratulations on making "Pocket PC Guru"!!

Oh, look at that. Thanks.

For TacoStick, yes you can ActiveSync using WiFi as long as you haven't upgraded your AS to 4.0. That capability was removed for security concerns. Actually it is all network syncing to a desktop that is gone, but home WiFi seems to be the one most folks use and miss.

The trick on WiFi Sync is that you need to set up your connections to Work, and then edit the work connection Proxy tab to say this connection connects to the internet. That's a check box at the top. Don't enter any proxy names unless you actually are using a proxy server.

Setting the connection to Work tells the PPC that you are on an internal network and allows it to access other machines on that network. You have to set the 'connects to internet' to retain the ability to surf, check e-mail, etc. from within that private network.

When you are set to Internet, or my ISP, the PPC assumes there are no other local machines available and won't look for them.

tacostick
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
then what? when i connect to the internet, should activesync pop up and say "found your pocket pc" [its not] or should i make a VPN thing, connect that, and then activesync pops up?

Sven Johannsen
07-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Oops, forgot a detail didn't I. To Activesync with any method other than plugging in a serial or USB cable, you need to start AS from the PPC. You open AS and hit the green sync icon. Should get a reaction on your desktop.

Take a look at the options under AS too. Make sure the right PC is listed under when syncing remotely. You probably don't want to use the mobile schedule thing. Yes, you want to sync with this PC during manual, and under options you can set if you want AS to stay connected or not after the sync is completed.

If this stuff doesn't go well you might want to invest in vxUtil from www.cam.com (it's free). To help in working out connection issues.

tacostick
07-05-2005, 10:50 PM
thanks a lot sven, its working now :D :D :D what awesome technology eh

Sven Johannsen
07-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Cool. If you like it, resist the urge to get the latest and greatest AS 4.0. As I mentioned, network sync in general is not supported in that version. You didn't mention what PPC you got, but if it is one of the ones that is being offered a WM5 upgrade, you will have to make a decision, since WM5 requires AS4. Do you get WM5 and AS4 and lose WiFi sync, or stay at WM2003(SE?).

tacostick
07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
agh, dicey thing. stopped working again.

Under the wireless network settings, "connects to: work"
Under Network Adapters, "My network card connects to: work"
Programs that automatically...Internet should connect using: My Work Network
^same setting for Programs that automatically...private network.
and then work network proxy settings: i have the checkbox checked, next to "this network connects to the internet"
I have the right PC chosen in AS on the PPC, and sync with this PC during manual sync is checked.

so which one is wrong?

dpeace
07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Related, but slightly different question :

I have a wireless network at home, to which I can connect with my LOOX 720. I can browse shared folders on the PCs, and Active Sync. WEP is enabled.

However, I am unable to access the internet from the LOOX. I have Work settings enabled, and have specified that the Work connection can access the Internet.

IP is configured via DHCP, and DNS and WINS are set to the PC that shares the internet connection's IP address. I can ping my router and the PC from the LOOX. The router is merely acting as a hub; my DSL modem connects directly to the PC.

Is there something stupidly easy I'm missing?

TIA,

Darren

surur
07-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Enabling ICS on the pc with the dsl modem?

Surur

dpeace
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, I think things are OK there, as I can access the internet wirelessly on my laptop on the network.

:cry:

Darren

Sven Johannsen
07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
IP is configured via DHCP, and DNS and WINS are set to the PC that shares the internet connection's IP address.

DNS should be set to the DNS server the PC is showing, not to that PC. You are likely not running a DNS server on that machine. Generally that DNS IP is given to you by the ISP, or is provided to the PC via DHCP, along with the IP, Gateway and subnet mask. Use IPconfig in a dos window to see what the DNS address is, if you don't know it and put that in the PPC's DNS field. The Gateway on the PPC should indeed be the internet connected PC's IP.

P.S. if you don't already have a way of showing the PPCs IP addresses, get vxUtil and/or vxIPconfig at www.cam.com. Both free.

dpeace
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Sven.

I've managed to resolve the problem, and detail what I did in case the information is of help.

Setting the DNS to that used by my desktop PC rendered the LOOX unable to attach to the network entirely.

What worked was to fix the IP address of the device, set the gateway to be the host PC, and to change the wireless adapter settings to "Internet".

Now synchronising and browsing the web perfectly.

Darren