View Full Version : Music from SD card: 4 errors in 3 minutes??

zeeforel
07-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi to you all,

If I play 64kb MP3 from my Kingston SD card it often happens that the playback is not optimal (stopping for split second etc.). I have tried it from main memory and then it was OK. So it must be the SD card.

To be sure: nothing was running at the same time!

Is this normal??

Many thanks.

surur
07-04-2005, 11:39 AM
It would be usefull to know more about your device, the size and age of your card, the player you use etc.

Surur

zeeforel
07-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Asus 730W
WinMSE
Kingston 1 GB, 6 months old
Using Windows Media Player 9

Correction: I played windows media files (so wma, not MP3)

surur
07-04-2005, 01:12 PM
The simplest way to diagnose the problem would be to copy the music onto a different card, and try and play it from there. If the problem disappears you have a defective card, and then you would need to get it swapped out.

If the problem persists then its your PPC. You will need to see if you have any software which polls the SD card e.g. a weather panel today screen app, or pocket plus looking at the card size.

Further it may be useful to check for an updated ROM. Many SD card drivers were updated 6 months ago by many OEM's.

Surur

GSmith
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I have seen errors on two of my most-used Flash cards (one SD and one CF) at age 6-8 months. The remedy in both cases was to copy everything off, Reformat the flash card, then put everything back.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

zeeforel
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
How do I format an SD card?

Thanks

BTW: my SD card is 6 months old!

GSmith
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
On the SD card, I used Storage Tools http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html

and on the CF card I used a desktop (right click in Windows Explorer and select "format")

No reason for which program to use which flash card, just convenience at the time.

Note: I use my flash cards with my RSS reader, which HEAVILY exercises the cards, writing one or more hundreds of files per day and on some days creating over a thousand files.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

zeeforel
07-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Well I formatted the card (FAT32) but it didn't help.

Let's see what my retailer says. I do have 24 months (or is it livetime) guarantee.