View Full Version : Best Pocket PC Screen ?

Shaun Stuart
07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I have asked this question before but never seem to be able to get an answer - So l am asking again.

I love my Pocket PC - I have had several Since the original Jornada 545 - but the one thing that keeps bugging me is that almost everyone I have owned has poor screen visibility when out doors. Whats the point of having Mobile Internet and access to tons of ebooks or a mobile Video Player when I can hardly see anything when I venture outside. I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks and would like to take a pocket pc with a screen I can actually use while sat by the pool, I would give up WM5 and all the bells and whistles for some hardware that actually allowed this, can some one tell me it such a thing exists.

Which PPC has the best out door screen ?

Darius Wey
07-03-2005, 02:02 AM
It's hard to say which has the better outdoor screen since it really depends on what your eyes are used to. I use my X50v outdoors on occasion, and outdoor visibility is greatly enhanced by my Pocket PC Techs WriteSHIELD AG screen protectors, which block out a lot of glare. Almost all screens now have a transflective coating, so it's really up to your screen protector to do the work (if you decide to apply one, that is).

Now if you wanted to know which has the better VGA screen, it's been said that the LOOX 720 has the best, shortly followed by the hx4700, and then the X50v. It's by no means a measure of outdoor performance, and personally, I feel screen comparisons are subjective. As long as your eyes adjust, you'll find your screen to be quite good. I love my X50v screen a lot. :)

Duncan
07-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Which PPC has the best out door screen ?

What you are looking for I think is the not so much the best screen as the most powerful backlight. I find my Loox 720 is very visible outdoors if I whack up the backlight (though inevitably there are times when the sunlight drowns out even the best LCD).

I don't know about non QVGA models but the brightness order (starting with the best) for VGA models goes:

1) HP iPAQ hx4700 (which has 52 brightness levels and an auto-adjusting backlight)
2) FSC Pocket Loox 720 (shares the same screen as the hx4700 - same manufacturer but smaller and fewer brightness levels).
3=) Dell Axim X50v/Asus MyPal a730

Purely in terms of outdoor use (taking into account no other criteria) the HP iPAQ hx4700 wins by virtue of an auto adjusting backlight and high max brightness level.

Menneisyys
07-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Purely in terms of outdoor use (taking into account no other criteria) the HP iPAQ hx4700 wins by virtue of an auto adjusting backlight and high max brightness level.

Well, I wouldn't say the hx4700 / the Pocket Loox 720 need backlighting outdoors in bright sunlight. Both are pretty well visible without any kind of backlight if you compare them to previous-generation transflective screens (for example, the iPAQ 2210 - or even palmOne screens). And, if you compare them to STN screens like those of old Jornada H/PC's or transmissive screens like those of old Cassiopeias, they are even better. It was only with the latest screens that you did need very strong backlight to be able to see what is on the screen.

Transflective screen technology indeed develops further.

Janak Parekh
07-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, I wouldn't say the hx4700 / the Pocket Loox 720 need backlighting outdoors in bright sunlight.
It can help a little bit, though, when you're in the shade or at a non-direct angle. I don't know about the newest units, but on my slightly older ones the backlight brightens up the background just a little bit.

--janak

Menneisyys
07-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I wouldn't say the hx4700 / the Pocket Loox 720 need backlighting outdoors in bright sunlight.
It can help a little bit, though, when you're in the shade or at a non-direct angle. I don't know about the newest units, but on my slightly older ones the backlight brightens up the background just a little bit.

--janak

Yes, in shade / non-direct sunlight, it does help (this is why emphaiszed bright sunlight), especially with non-current devices (iPAQ 2210, Zire 71 - these two do need backlight turned up). I will check some day whether it helps the PL720 - I don't think it's as badly needed as with previous-generation devices because it has a much better visible screen than my prev-gen iPAQ 2210/ Zire 71.

Duncan
07-03-2005, 07:32 PM

--janak

Yes, in shade / non-direct sunlight, it does help (this is why emphaiszed bright sunlight), especially with non-current devices (iPAQ 2210, Zire 71 - these two do need backlight turned up). I will check some day whether it helps the PL720 - I don't think it's as badly needed as with previous-generation devices because it has a much better visible screen than my prev-gen iPAQ 2210/ Zire 71.

I do find that in sunlight incresing the backlight helps - just because the sun competes with the light from the LCD. To a certain degree of course the sun can also help - I just tend to whack the light up when outside so I don't have to keep changing it depending on conditions.

Andy Whiteford
07-05-2005, 02:51 PM
The old Jornada 56x series were superb outdoors in sunshine with their reflective screens although in the shade on a bright day you would be better looking at a bright transflective screen with an anti-glare protector on. I don't think there is one perfect screen for outdoor use on a sunny day.