View Full Version : Toshiba and Microsoft Working on New Win CE DVD Players?

Jonathon Watkins
07-01-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/27/tosh_ms_relationship/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/0...s_relationship/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft and Toshiba will collaborate on consumer electronics devices as well as traditional PCs under a "significant expansion" of their existing relationship. . . . But the deal has ramifications beyond the companies' traditional playgrounds, with Microsoft apparently getting behind Toshiba’s efforts to establish the HD DVD standard. Under the deal, the companies pledge to "investigate" development of HD DVD players using Windows CE technology."</i><br /><br />Interesting. Windows CE is continuing it's relentless drive to run every device and MS now seems to be backing HD DVD over Blu-ray. The Register does not speculate about what sort of impact this announcement may have on Toshiba's Pocket PC development. Toshiba currently appears to be exiting the market (or they have Very long lead times between device releases) and it would be good to see more Toshiba Pocket PCs. They certainly have had some good devices in their time. Thoughts?

jbtaylor
07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I hate to see the consumer options reduced by Toshiba getting out of the PocketPC market but I would never buy one from them again even if they kept making them. I spent a year arguing with their customer support people about issues that most manufacturers would have fixed. I was a victim of the e740.

Call me bitter but if their service and support was going to be like that we are all better off without them in the market.

pcboy2003
07-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I am a previous E740 and E830 owner. Actually, E740 is okay in my opinion, but that's because I got it for a unbelievable low price. However, I paid full price for the E830, but it really upset me when it has no ROM update at all since its original released. I have chosen the E830 with no upgrading path in my mind. I know they are getting out of the PDA market, but I will buy it based on what it offers at the time. Even though I know it will not offer ppc2005 upgrade, but I expect some minor update to make the E830 to its full potential. The E830 is an excellent unit in my mind, in terms of design and features. However, it has its own share of problems. It has a very alloying start up lag, which takes like 3-4 sec before you can use it after you have switched on. Windows media player 9 does not support VGA, so it's reasonable to believe they will offer the upgrade for Windows Media player 10 like very other manufactures did..... BUT NO. Also, the power management is very bad, you have to use it at max power constantly, or else it would be slow at many situations. Despite all these bugs, Toshiba never offer a ROM update to address any of these problems.

After I have used the Axim for 2 weeks, I can't picture myself going back to the E830. I don't think I will upgrade my Dell to WM5.0, even thought Dell offers it(unlike Toshiba), because I just like the way it works now. I didn't change my Toshiba because it doesn't have the wm5.0 upgrade, I changed it becuase has many problems needed to be addressed.

Jonathon Watkins
07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't think I will upgrade my Dell to WM5.0, even thought Dell offers it(unlike Toshiba), because I just like the way it works now.

I really, really wanted a e830, but then Tosh said they weren't coming to the UK, so I got my X50v instead later. Just wait and see what the WM5.0 will offer though. I think it could well be worth it. ;-)

davea0511
07-02-2005, 11:28 AM
WinCE could be the bridge to pring about what's been missing with personal DVD players since day one: touchscreens.

As a kiosk developer I would be thrilled with this development since economies of scale would bring down the price to open up thousands of new marketing and sales technologies.