View Full Version : Dell Releases A04 ROM

Jason Dunn
06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R101809&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=3&formatcnt=1&fileid=131655' target='_blank'>http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&fileid=131655</a><br /><br /></div>Dell has released a new ROM for the X50v, with a very short fix list:<br /><br />"1. Improved the power-on mechanism.<br />2. Enhanced the system robustness when changing the memory frequency."<br /><br />The download link wasn't work for me at first, but just as I was posting this it started to work, so grab it!<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> The <a href="http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R103218&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&os=PPCA&osl=FR&deviceid=7464&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&fileid=133536">French A02 ROM</a> has also been released.

powder2000
06-29-2005, 06:05 PM
OK, I've been having a nagging problem with my x50v. sometimes, maybe 1 in 10, I hit the power button to turn the axim on and nothing happens. Only a soft reset will solve this. does anyone else have this problem. Do you think that in fact, this power on fix is geared towards this problem? I really hate to have to update the rom again (so many things to reinstall!) but will do so if it fixes this problem.

Jon Westfall
06-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Dangit! I just loaded a bunch of stuff on my axim! I think I'll hold off on this until people start reporting it as a miraculous upgrade, then I'll DL it.

So if you install it, be sure to post and let me know what I'm missing, and if it's worth an hour of software re-installs...

Jonathon Watkins
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Dangit! I just loaded a bunch of stuff on my axim!

:? I know the feeling. A03 wasn't out too long ago. This will be the third time I'm going to reinstall everything onto my X50v. :?

Kudos for Dell for releasing updates and dingbats for the QA department for not pickup up the issues before.

whydidnt
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
"1. Improved the power-on mechanism.
2. Enhanced the system robustness when changing the memory frequency."

How do you change the memory frequency on a PPC? I didn't know this was something that ever changed.

Jason Dunn
06-29-2005, 06:25 PM
How do you change the memory frequency on a PPC? I didn't know this was something that ever changed.

I have no clue - I was wondering about this myself, it's likely an internal thing (an engineering fix).

jutae
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
i wish they would fix the memory leak when using bluetooth/gps receiver. After riding down the road for 45 minutes or so, my X50v locks up!!!!

silver99
06-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know if I can go from A02 directly to A04 (skipping A03) - or do I have install A03 before A04?

Chris Spera
06-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know if I can go from A02 directly to A04 (skipping A03) - or do I have install A03 before A04?

You should be able to go right to A04... the upgrade process will wipe the device anyway, so doing them in order only works if only PART of the device is updated (as in an XIP update); but that's not what happens with this one...

hoodmeister
06-29-2005, 07:16 PM

It's for changing the CPU frequency, which you can do in order to get extra milage out of the battery...

The memory frequency is asynchronous with the CPU frequency...

Having not long ago updated to A03, and with such a short fix list, I think i'll leave this one for now. I'm not even having problems with either of those things :s

SmithAtlanta
06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Ditto here.

jngold_me
06-29-2005, 08:25 PM

:? I know the feeling. A03 wasn't out too long ago. This will be the third time I'm going to reinstall everything onto my X50v. :?

Kudos for Dell for releasing updates and dingbats for the QA department for not pickup up the issues before.

Maybe you guys should invest in Sprite Backup Pro (or Premium). It allows full restores after a ROM upgrade has been performed. I just used it to restore my 2750 after a major ROM upgrade and it worked flawlessly. It supposedly can work restoring to different brand of devices (although I haven't tested this).

cml
06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
It sounds like it might be basically a fix for A03. I noticed that after I upgraded to A03, my battery life got much shorter. That would kind of make sense if the "memory frequency" is not properly changing.

miterb
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM

It's for changing the CPU frequency, which you can do in order to get extra milage out of the battery...

The memory frequency is asynchronous with the CPU frequency...

Having not long ago updated to A03, and with such a short fix list, I think i'll leave this one for now. I'm not even having problems with either of those things :s

The X50V I bought on Friday arrived yesterday with A04 installed (it helps to buy from the manufacturer!). Under the Settings>Power>Processor Tab it gives you the current speed and four options:
Maximum Performance
Normal
Power-Saving
Auto (the default setting)

In Auto it seems to change the speed depending on the load. Looking at the display in idle, it is 104MHz. Shifting to the previous Tab (Power On) and back bumped it up to 208MHz and then it dropped back to 104MHZ. It looks like a great feature.

Brad

ctmagnus
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
...and if it's worth an hour of software re-installs...

Only an hour? Newbie! :p

hoodmeister
06-29-2005, 11:05 PM
In Auto it seems to change the speed depending on the load. Looking at the display in idle, it is 104MHz. Shifting to the previous Tab (Power On) and back bumped it up to 208MHz and then it dropped back to 104MHZ. It looks like a great feature.

Brad

It's OK. It often doesn't give you extra power when you want it, or too much when you don't need it, I find.

It's also marginally slower in games to use the Auto setting than the Max Perf one.

So I just tend to set it manually... I can navigate to the tab in my sleep, now :D

ethancaine
06-29-2005, 11:11 PM
About the memory issue:

I don't have the time to find and link the discussion, but my understanding was that with the 255 (Axim X5) and later processors, the memory bus could be throttled internally by choosing Maximum Performance. I know this currently shows the CPU speed at 624 MHz, but isn't it possible that the memory bus bandwidth is increased as well?

One thing I do remember for sure: the memory bandwidth was not synonomous with processor speed.

Rod3
06-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm on my second X50V. The first was returned because of a "memory issue" and I was told that if I didn't update this one (it's A02), I would be less apt to have the problem. So, I didn't go to A03 this time. I wonder.....
Anyhow, I'm chicken, and I'm going to wait and see if anybody has problems before I update it. I downloaded it, and will just keep it around. I might just skip it and go straight to WM2005, though.

Jonathon Watkins
06-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Maybe you guys should invest in Sprite Backup Pro (or Premium). It allows full restores after a ROM upgrade has been performed.

I am aware of it. I'm also aware that it's generally considered a bad idea. After a ROM upgrade, it really is best to reinstall the software, rather than restore, which could import incorrect settings etc. Jason actually did a rant about the ROM upgrade/reinstall situation (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39679&amp;) recently. Doing a restore May work, but it's not guaranteed.

Ward
06-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Backed up, flashed the ROM, restored, works perfectly. I don't see any difference, but thats to be expected.

Restoring a backup is not recommend, but come on. Whats it going to hurt? If things go south, hard reset and do it the official way. But I'll say this, I've restored a backup A02-A03 and now A03-A04 without a single issue.

You've backed up anyway, so literally nothing can go wrong software wise.

And I didn't use Sprite - the built in utility is more than enough - an extra utility is a waste of money and memory.

ethancaine
06-30-2005, 01:03 AM
You know, it's funny that you all are hating the whole backup/restore thing because I am now installing the new ROM with glee; I was hoping for a reason to do a hard reset of my device, just because it had been a while.

Now, if my gaming computer would just crash so I'd have a good reason to use that Windows XP Pro X64 upgrade disc sitting on my desk upstairs...

:wink:

Darius Wey
06-30-2005, 03:14 AM

I'm in the same boat. While my X50v already had A03 preinstalled, the whole routine of wiping and reinstalling really is becoming a pain in the (snip). So much so that I may just wait a few weeks before I apply the upgrade. ;)

Darius Wey
06-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Maybe you guys should invest in Sprite Backup Pro (or Premium). It allows full restores after a ROM upgrade has been performed. I just used it to restore my 2750 after a major ROM upgrade and it worked flawlessly. It supposedly can work restoring to different brand of devices (although I haven't tested this).

This is device and ROM dependent. Bottom line - it isn't always blissful. :)

Muntasser
06-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Props to the team at Dell - I really do appreciate upgrades, but I'm going to wait, after all didn't we all just put on A03 :)
\
[great release btw - the two press wireless button idea is GOLD]

gwinter
06-30-2005, 11:43 AM
The X50V I bought on Friday arrived yesterday with A04 installed (it helps to buy from the manufacturer!). Under the Settings>Power>Processor Tab it gives you the current speed and four options:
Maximum Performance
Normal
Power-Saving
Auto (the default setting)

This feature is already there since the initial hardware is introduced. I've upgraded my ROM twice, from A00 (or was it A01?), to A02, then A03. For me, the change from A02 to A03 increases the runtime significantly. I think this is due to enhancement for changing the CPU frequency. I could see more frequency steps available in Auto mode.

As someone has already mentioned, the memory frequency change is probably system-controlled (non-user accesible feature).

Rod3
06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I wonder if it fixes the thing I sent mine back for. Not being able to turn it on without putting it on the charger and resetting. An error message saying a memory issue was involved would pop up. It happened every morning, and I was told it had to do with my build (A04) being incompatible with A03 (which I had installed on the old one). So, I didn't install that on my new one. That memory fix sounds intriguing. But I have no issues at all with A02.

Jon Westfall
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM

I use Sprite Backup religiously, but I've always been leary of restoring upgrades after a ROM flash. Just seemed to risky that I'd end up spending more time reinstalling than if I just do it from scratch.

Jon Westfall
06-30-2005, 04:58 PM
...and if it's worth an hour of software re-installs...

Only an hour? Newbie! :p

hour = efficiency. One day when you're down to an hour for reinstalling a PPC, you'll know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Don't Panic!
06-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm using Sprite Backup with the Device Upgrade mode enabled for the first time with this ROM upgrade.

Darius Wey
07-01-2005, 04:41 AM
I'm using Sprite Backup with the Device Upgrade mode enabled for the first time with this ROM upgrade.

I'll admit I just did something dirty and went ahead with a cross-ROM backup/restore using Data Backup. So far, so good. :P

Don't Panic!
07-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Same here. 0X

footman
07-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I just did the ROM upgrade (and backup!). Certainly less nervy than a mobo bios flash.
Before I did so I backed up using Sprite premium to PC and CF card. I decided to restore from CF card just because its so much quicker. Using the Axims native backup/restore it wouldnt see the backup file on the CF card until I changed the name of the file to "default.dbk" then it all worked perfectly in seconds!

I find this rather odd to do all this messing around (ie changing filenames) with software that costs money! Why on earth cant Sprite create a backup file thats at least recognised by the default restore application?