View Full Version : Does such a thing exist?

chunder
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Want to get my grubby mitts on a pocket pc - here's my wish list. I'm new to the whole thing, does anything come close?

1. Quad band phone
2. Microsoft O/S
3. Keypad
4. Bluetooth
5. Wireless
6. Screen like the HP 4700
7. built in GPS
8. Blackberry
9. Newish machine so good processor, decent memory capacity, graphics etc.

If the 4700 had built-in gps and was also a phone there would be no debate (for me at least). Trouble is I just don't know what's available.

edit - I forgot to mention that my phone contract with 02 has run out so I would consider a pda from a mobile provider if any could offer a suitable device.

gibson042
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
That is quite the list. I'm not sure what you mean by "Blackberry" (made by RIM? Directly compatible with Blackberry servers?), but even disregarding that item, no existing or announced PPC that I'm aware of hits every point. The HTC Universal will be closest; it is a tri-band phone and lacks built-in GPS. Also worth considering: HTC Blue Angel (QVGA screen, no GPS)
Samsung SCH-i730 (CDMA, QVGA screen, no GPS)
HP iPAQ hw6500 series (tri-band, 240x240 screen, must choose between wi-fi and GPS) Have you considered dropping the built-in GPS requirement for a Bluetooth GPS solution?

chunder
06-29-2005, 04:49 PM
thanks for your reply. I know I am wishing, but it seems that these devices are getting quite close to this. All I need is a hybrid hp 4700 with the 6500 :)

Have you considered dropping the built-in GPS requirement for a Bluetooth GPS solution?

Sure, but I love the idea of being able to use the GPS outside of my car without having to carry around another unit. I know it's a luxury, but by the look of things I hopefully won't have to wait too many years to get my hands on what I want.

gibson042
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, in time I'm sure your device will be made. Me, I've been waiting a year and a half for mine... but the HTC Universal will finally be available this fall. Good luck finding yours, and be sure to check this site regularly for announcements of its existence. 8)

szamot
06-29-2005, 09:18 PM
or you could consider a CDMA device like the one Sprint (PPC6600) is selling although compared to Canada Sprint is criminally expansive.