View Full Version : Seeking the most reliable backup solution for iPAQ HX 4700

concerned807
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
In this thread, I am seaking the most reliable backup solution for iPAQ HX 4700. I prefer backing up my iPAQ via PC than on iPAQ itself.

After having read extensively in order to determine a most optimal backup solution, I have realized that there are essentially two methods of iPAQ backup. The purpose of this thread is to confirm these two methods and be advised of other better methods I have not been aware of.

Method One: Semi-automatic iPAQ backup

This method involves using either iPAQ Backup or Microsoft ActiveSync to backup the main memory, and manually backing up/saving all applications and files on iPAQ File Store and CF/SD onto desktop PC. This method of backup creates two (matching) backup file - one part of backup file has main memory and the other back file has everyhting on File Store and CF/SD. In an event of complete restore, I need to first restore main memory backup using iPAQ backup/ActiveSync, and second, manually transfering backup file of to File Store and CF/SD from PC to iPAQ.

This is the method is most likely I will adopt, as this method does not require additional purchase of a backup program.

Questions concerning this method: How well will the manually saved back file of File Store and CF/S be restored? I install nearly all apps to iPAQ File Store. Is there any likelihood in this method where programs will not be properly linked between File Store and main memory and thus do not work or can't even load? In other words, does method one theoritically make sense?

Method two: Automatic backup using special backup program

This is area where I want to be advised most. It seems that the most capable candidiates are, Sprite Backup and Sunnysoft's Backup Manager. I have not tried the latter.

So far, I tested Sprite Backup 3.14 to create complete backup to my desktop PC including main memory, iPAQ File Store and CF. The backup was done fast and smoothly. However when I tried to restore, Sprite gave error saying the file was bad (can't remember the exact phrasing)

Owning only one iPAQ I am unable to test all backup programs currently available. I would genuinely appreciate your recommendation of the backup program you use, and as well as love to hear about your advices concerning the most reliable backup solution.

Thank you.