View Full Version : Axim X50v and WPA-PSK WiFi - What's the Secret?

Jason Dunn
06-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Over my "WiFi lifetime", I've gone from having an open, unsecured network in my office, to a WEP 128-bit secured network. We know how "secure" that really is, so I wanted to move up to the next level and switch to WPA security. I activated it on my <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4802955/search=belkin+pre-N+router">Belkin Pre-N router</a>, selected a passkey, and was able to connect my laptop to the network without a fuss. When it came to my Axim X50v, I wasn't so lucky - first, there's no "zero config" pop-up like there is with WEP encryption. I went into the WiFi settings and selected WPA-PSK as the authentication type, TKIP as the data encryption type, and put in my network key. I clicked ok, then did a tap and hold on the network and selected connect. It tries to connect but never does - has anyone gotten WPA-PSK to work on their X50v? I'm using ROM A02.

Muntasser
06-28-2005, 05:19 PM
hi Jason, my home network is WPA-PSK with TKIP. My Axim X50 with rom A03 connects successfully with a minimum of fuss.

whydidnt
06-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Jason,

I had to change two settings on my Belkin Pre-N to make this configuration work - otherwise the X50v was stuck in the connecting loop. I had to to turn the broadcast SSID option on (I'm using WPA, so I figured that would be okay in my neighborhood) and I had to turn the protected mode off. Both these are settings under Wireless > Channel and SSID on the router. As soon as I changed them, it connected right up and has been fine since. I don't think I changed this setting ACK MODE, but for reference it's set to Immediate ACK.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just turned off Broadcast mode to see what would happen, and it connected right up. Maybe just need that turned on for the first connection?

martin_ayton
06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Jason, I hope this works for you. Unfortunately, in my experience Dell and Belkin just don't get on. I spent weeks (and $$ on a support tech.) trying to get a Belkin AP to talk to my Dell laptop. It was always 'almost...' In the end, I gave up, ditched the AP and bought a Netgear version with similar spec's and... it was working within 5 minutes.

Dave Beauvais
06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I've solved a surprising number of wireless-related issues simply by installing the latest firmware for the device(s) in question. This is especially true with devices which are using a non-ratified spec, such as the Pre-N routers that are out there now. In this case, it looks as though Belkin released a new firmware (http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D8230-4&amp;lang=1&amp;mode=) for the Pre-N router last month. No details about what it fixes, of course. The X50v is up to A03 now, which couldn't hurt, either. I've had no problems with A03 on the two X50vs we have in the office at work.

Jason Dunn
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
In this case, it looks as though Belkin released a new firmware (http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D8230-4&amp;lang=1&amp;mode=) for the Pre-N router last month. No details about what it fixes, of course. The X50v is up to A03 now, which couldn't hurt, either. I've had no problems with A03 on the two X50vs we have in the office at work.

Yeah, I've installed the Belkin firmware, next I'll try installing the new Axim firmware.

Phronetix
06-29-2005, 03:49 AM
I had the connecting loop problem with a belkin g WAN, non-secured. My x50v worked out of the box with my Airport Extreme (802.11g) network with WPS, as well as with the unprotected Linksys and D-Link networks the neighbours on either side have.

Darius Wey
06-29-2005, 04:00 AM
I went into the WiFi settings and selected WPA-PSK as the authentication type, TKIP as the data encryption type, and put in my network key. I clicked ok, then did a tap and hold on the network and selected connect. It tries to connect but never does - has anyone gotten WPA-PSK to work on their X50v? I'm using ROM A02.

I guess we're in the same boat, except I'm using A03. My router is the D-Link DI-624 as opposed to the Belkin Pre-N. It happens to be running the latest firmware as well. Over WPA, my laptop connects fine, but my X50v doesn't. Anyway, I've just reverted back to 128-bit WEP for the time being (and will look into it when I have more time). Although 128-bit WEP isn't the best nor the worst, deep down inside, I know I'm not satisfied. :|

EvilOne
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
I dunno, but since it was mentioned that updating to the latest ROM would help, you may wanna try A04. I just got a new X50V and it came preloaded with this ROM version.

pollard42
06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I am new to handheld wifi. I just purchased a axim x50 last week and I am having difficult time connecting to the net. I have the belkin wireless router and I am able to connect at home but it is slow. I am unable to connect to my Yahoo mail from my PDA. I been in several hotspots and I am able to connect with a VERY POOR signal. SOOO weak I cannot open the host page to sign on the internet site. I have called Dell and I become more confused with the tech's help. I really dont understand what the techs are saying (language issues). So is there any adjustment I need to make on axim.

In the Wifi world does laptop connect easier than PDA or the connection should be the same?

Jason Dunn
06-30-2005, 08:10 PM
In the Wifi world does laptop connect easier than PDA or the connection should be the same?

While there may be small differences in terms of signal strength (different devices have different antennas), overall it should work the same. You said you have the same Belkin router as I do? What security level are you using? 128 bit WEP or WPA?

pollard42
06-30-2005, 09:24 PM
I need to check my belkin when I get home.

Tamsen
07-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I have an old D-link 514 WAP (802.11b) and had the exact same behaviour with WPA-PSK mode .. on my XP desktop, as well as with the x50v. And the solution was the same as a previous poster's .. enable broadcast SSID while making the initial association. I was able to disable it again after a successful connection and subsequent connections are flawless. I know disabling SSIDs doesn't accomplish much of anything security-wise, but it *does* at least mean that if the neighbour on one side's gaming buddies plug in a laptop, it automatically attempts to connect to the other neighbour's access point, not mine.

One addition bit of info, in case you were wondering .. Despite lots of negative commentary in assorted places, I find the Odyssey client does the job just fine for WPA-PSK connections. If you don't need it, fine, but if you do then don't worry about it not working.

Oh, and I'm still using A03 ROM image. Good luck!

Darius Wey
07-05-2005, 03:21 AM
I have an old D-link 514 WAP (802.11b) and had the exact same behaviour with WPA-PSK mode .. on my XP desktop, as well as with the x50v. And the solution was the same as a previous poster's .. enable broadcast SSID while making the initial association. I was able to disable it again after a successful connection and subsequent connections are flawless. I know disabling SSIDs doesn't accomplish much of anything security-wise, but it *does* at least mean that if the neighbour on one side's gaming buddies plug in a laptop, it automatically attempts to connect to the other neighbour's access point, not mine.

For interest's sake, I tried this sometime ago and it didn't work. So for now, 128-bit WEP will have to do. :(

I'm not sure if Jason has got his working yet.

Jason Dunn
07-05-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not sure if Jason has got his working yet.

Nope, I switched back to 128 bit WEP.