View Full Version : Gartner's Thoughts on the iPAQ hw6500

Darius Wey
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=129335' target='_blank'>http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocum...t?doc_cd=129335</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The iPAQ hw6500 — HP's first mobile device with integrated GPS capability — also offers more advanced wireless capabilities than most other PDAs. Its design suggests that HP is trying to appeal, through a single device, to those who prize GPS but also require a full-function PDA with wireless e-mail capability. The hw6500 is not intended to be a replacement for HP's iPAQ hw6300, which offers Wi-Fi rather than GPS. The device is likely to achieve widest acceptance in Europe, where interest in GPS is highest. Gartner believes that HP's efforts to limit the hw6500's weight and size could reduce its appeal as a GPS device. Excellent GPS functionality requires a large, high-resolution display. Users who rely on GPS functions prefer a device with a few large buttons that they can operate while driving. Crowding GPS functionality into a small device with a full keyboard puts GPS functionality at cross-purposes with wireless e-mail functionality."</i><br /><br />There have been mixed opinions on this device since it was first announced. Some have found it to be the most fantastic device ever, while others believe it needs a lot of improvement. Head over to <a href="http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=129335">Gartner</a> to see what they think. Do you agree with them?

Jereboam
06-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Currently agonising over this or a Treo 650 (seeing as they seem to have fixed the major bugs with the recent ROM)...interested to see what people are thinking...

I have my 4700 so I'm really looking for a properly Mac-compatible smartphone...pointing me to the Treo....but soooo much invested in PPC....apps and so on....the agony... :(

J'bm

surur
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Having actually read the article their analysis is reasonable. What was HP thinking in releasing this with 2003se when WM5.0 would have made this the killer device?

Surur

gregh
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
If I were a betting man I'd say HP were already working on follow on devices to this, and this is just v1.......

whydidnt
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
It seems to me Garnter hints that this device makes too many compromises, but doesn't really say it - so I will.

The device is still too big to be a true mobile phone replacement for the masses. It's nearly as large as the HP 63XX series from the comparison pics I've seen. The screen res is too low to be reasonably used for GPS activity or web browsing - two items that should be a major selling point. The battery life is questionable and the processor is underpowered for power users. I just can't see this device finding a market.

The only real selling point is the integrated keyboard, but I think all the other negatives will keep this device from being a "Treo Killer".

surur
06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
WM5 would have solved so many problems.

1) Due to persistent storage battery life would automatically be increased by 20%, since you could use it to empty instead of 20% full.

2) The keyboard would be better integrated with the OS, improving navigation.

3) It would have found an automatic market as the first WM5 device, meaning plenty of people would be eager to give it a go.

Hopefully HP is working on an update in a month or two. Knowing them however I suspect not. All the more pity.

Surur

stevelam
06-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Hopefully HP is working on an update in a month or two. Knowing them however I suspect not. All the more pity. Surur

Personally it think it would make sence to release an update, but then again this is HP they will want you to buy a new device.

06-27-2005, 05:38 PM
The reason I don't like it is the square screen. If they'd come out with a stretch version ala 4355. I would adore the thing.

Is everyone convinced they aren't planning on releasing a version with wm5.0?

whydidnt
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Is everyone convinced they aren't planning on releasing a version with wm5.0?

I think it's been either announced, or at least rumoured that HP will be releasing an "updated" version with WM 5.0 sometime early in 2006. However, with HP's somewhat spotty upgrade policy, it's not known if an actual ROM upgrade will be made available for the first shipped devices. If I was to bet, I'd say it will be, but unless I missed an announcement somewhere, there are no guarantees.

Jason Lee
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
I think it's been either announced, or at least rumoured that HP will be releasing an "updated" version with WM 5.0 sometime early in 2006. However, with HP's somewhat spotty upgrade policy, it's not known if an actual ROM upgrade will be made available for the first shipped devices. If I was to bet, I'd say it will be, but unless I missed an announcement somewhere, there are no guarantees.

I've heard there will be a new one in early, possibly january, 2006 with wifi built in and wm 5.0. It will possibly loose the mini-sd slot to make room for the wifi.

Knowing HP, as silly as it seems, there will probably be no wm 5.0 update for the first version of this device. I would bet on that. I hope i'm wrong because the will be basicaly they same hardware... :roll:

Only time will tell. ;)