View Full Version : TomTom 5 Upgrade - UK Postcodes - Not Good

IanT
06-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I have just purchased the upgrade to TT5 largely on the fact that it now supported UK postcodes.

Sadly disapoingted to find that it will only use the first 3/4 digits to find the city area, after that you are back to streets and numbers.

A very poor implementation - properly implemented postcodes can narrow it down to 15 houses.

This is my second gripe about TomTom (see reply to another post re now only able to install on one machine) but I was already frustrated to find last year that they would only sell me maps for the whole of US for big dollars when I was only intrested in California.

Anyone recomnend a reasonably priced map/routing for California I can use with my TomTom wireless receiver?

Appreciated.

Ian

unikronn
06-25-2005, 12:15 PM
hello, ian thanks for replying to my post but i sorted it out with customer services and they gave me a NEW code for tt5...as for post code it does work but its fidley at first here goes.

i take it you saved tt5 on a sd/cf card not main memory, go to the sd card and create a new folder called tomtom or TomTom, then when you go back to post code search instead of a back button there will be a DONE button .

if its still not working after that then you need to make sure when you installed tt5 that it installed a file on your sd/cf card called Great_Britain_postcode and it will be in a folder named ZIP

together those two solutions should be all you need to get the post code to work how it should. i did a post on this in modaco.com in the ppc help and advice section a week or two ago with picture.

pm me if you need help

IanT
06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I did what you said and it worked.

Before that I was only getting the first four digits now I get the whole thing which is much more usefull.

Ian