View Full Version : BUSINESS OWNERS THAT WANT SAMSUNG I730

q-live
06-22-2005, 11:02 PM
i called them today and they said will be selling them tomrrow AND IT DOES HAS WI FI (THANK U LORD) but i keep getting mixed prices. I got something totally different when i went into the store. Can someone give me some figures on how much the business version is gonna or should be????

jimsparkman
06-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Yes, I got the i730 yesterday. Didn't have time to do much with it but put it on charge, until today. It's truly a sweet device. I called VZW on June 22nd, hoping to get ahead of the orders, and also hoping that even though it was "officially" being released to the business channles on June 23rd, that just maybe they'd sell me one. I was told they would, but the CSR said she couldn't until that very day, and that she'd call me back at 8:00am the next day (the 23rd). And she did, I thought it was actually going to work, but when it came right down to it, the person she passed me off to in tele-sales wouldn't budge, since I wasn't a business customer. So, I had the person that handles the mobile phones in my company make the call and purchase one for me through the company. That was the same day, Thursday, the 23rd, day of release to businesses! I was still pretty skeptical they they could actullay get one to me the next day. Well, amazingly enough, it was delivered yesterday!!!

So far, through my limited use of it today, the phone really seems great. I will try to post some pics and opinions in the next couple of days, but until then, here's the official spec sheet from VZW:

http://www.viamedialive.com/Samsung-i730S.pdf

I may have to remove that link later, depending on traffic, so if someone else wants to host it, go for it.

For those wondering about the camera, NO it is not included, but it was a "business user" driven decision... most of VZW's corp customers actually request that the business use phones don't include cameras, more and more these days. I know the company I work for makes visitors check their camera phones at the door before they're allowed on site. I think the details of the camera and wi-fi (included) are pretty well known and sorted already, but thought I'd mention that, since I just saw a recent post about the potential lack of camera. Not a big deal for me. I'll be leaving behind my E-Ten M500, which did have a camera, but other than the novelty, I never really used it.

I think the retail release of July 7th is pretty solid, as well.

- Jim

jimsparkman
06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Can someone give me some figures on how much the business version is gonna or should be????

I know that for retail, the i730 will be $649.00 with a 1 year contract and $599.00 with a 2 year. As for business accounts, I think the cost will depend on the discount negotiated by your company, and is dependant upon size of the account. But, generally, should be around $499.00, but you'll need to check it out yourself, through your company.

Hope that helps.

- Jim

jimsparkman
06-26-2005, 11:55 AM
A couple of quick pics for anyone interested...

http://www.viamedialive.com/i730InCradle.jpg

http://www.viamedialive.com/i730InCradle2.jpg

- Jim

KeilwerthSX90R
07-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Can you comment on the ease of one-handed use? I have a Treo, but want to switch to the i730. On my Treo I frequently read mail, surf the web and check my calendar and contacts using only one hand and no stylus. Is this easy to do on the i730?

Thanks,
Josh

q-live
07-01-2005, 04:05 AM
also is it bluetooth 1.1, 1.2 or the new 2.0???? i cant find anything on that. Also since they are holding back the camara version it should be the new 2.0 MP camara that they have been putting on some of their camaras

Janak Parekh
07-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Can you comment on the ease of one-handed use? I have a Treo, but want to switch to the i730. On my Treo I frequently read mail, surf the web and check my calendar and contacts using only one hand and no stylus. Is this easy to do on the i730?
Not as easily, as it's running WM2003SE, not WM5. I think you'll find yourself needing a stylus for that combination. If and when they upgrade it WM5 should lend itself much better for one-handing.

--janak

hshulman
07-03-2005, 04:11 AM
It always astounds me how much misinformation exists on these forums. Listen up: I currently have an activated Samsung I730 from Verizon, which I received last week. They are in the warehouse and can be ordered and delivered in 2 days. Cost: $599 with 1 year activation or renewal, $499 with 2 year. NO CAMERA! WIFI fully functional but you can't use WIFI and the phone at the same time; with WIFI on, incoming calls go to voicemail. Bluetooth functions normally with my Jabra BT250 headset. Still has the same major flaw that the Samsung I600 had: the backlight goes dark 2 seconds after you make or receive a call no matter what you set it for; touch anything and it lights back up for whatever the timeout is set to. Samsung knows this is a problem but they don't seem able to fix it. Verizon data techs can duplicate this problem while you are on the phone with them but simply refer you to Samsung. It is obviously a Microsoft Window Mobile 2003 2nd Edition issue since my Samsung I600 did not have this problem uhtil I upgraded the ops to 2003 2nd Edition. Internet access and e-mail speed is truly excellent if you are in a Verizon Broadband Access area; downloads show almost 1MB test speed.

jimsparkman
07-03-2005, 01:08 PM
also is it bluetooth 1.1, 1.2 or the new 2.0???? i cant find anything on that. Also since they are holding back the camara version it should be the new 2.0 MP camara that they have been putting on some of their camaras

I'm pretty sure it's BT 1.1 - read that somewhere but can't find it now, so this could be just more "misinformation" :)

- Jim

csterns
07-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I am thinking about purchasing one of these phones because I've had it with my PPC Phone (i-mate PDA2k) not working with BT headsets in spite of the ROM updates and such. The quality of the audio is either scratchy, barely audible and just crap. It's frustrating to spend that kind of money only to have the phone not function properly.

Now my hopes are riding on this device as a converged device. Does anyone know if you can write on the device like any PPC? If so what programs; Phat Phad, Bug Me, Notes. Since it uses Windows Mobile 2003 SE I am assuming whatever programs I have on my PPC will work with this device? Right?

P.S. Is this considered a SmartPhone or PPC Phone?