View Full Version : BT and IR keyboard recommendations

famousdavis
06-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I'd like to get a keyboard for my Dell X50v. I looked at keyboards shortly after I got my X50v late last year, decided against getting one at that time, and would now like to re-consider. I have a more compelling reason to get a keyboard than what I had last year.

I'd like low-cost, compact, easy-to-use and with a good build quality. I don't have an inherent preference for BT over IR, or IR over BT.

If you have a keyboard, which make/model is it? Would you buy it again? Does it suit you?

I reviewed this site's previous posts, but nothing seemed to concisely discuss specific models in a single thread. So, here I am, posting my question!

Thanks

Horus
06-22-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a Stowaway universal bluetooth keyboard from ThinkOutside.
I have used it with a LOOX 720 and with a Dell x50v and it is just great.
At this point, I'd stay away from the IR keyboards. Bluetooth is way more convenient.

I also have the matching mouse. It works as advertised, but it isn't really practical. I mostly use it to show off my PPC. The keyboard I use almost daily though.

Kowalski
06-23-2005, 08:54 AM
i am using thinkoutside stowaway BT keyboard for more than 3 months and the keyboard is great. the only thing you should know is that there is no number row, but this is not a drawback for me. the pda stand is very usable. the keys provide good feedback, and they are almost full sized.

Menneisyys
06-23-2005, 09:12 AM
I also recommend the TO SA BT keyboard. You may also want to read http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3001 for some reviews and pics.

yankeejeep
06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I also use the ThinkOutside BT keyboard. You will find that BT gives you much more flexibility than IR since you do not need to be concerned about a line-of-sight connection. It is more expensive but it more than pays for itself the first time you want to position your device someplace other than where an IR alignment would require.

I have also used the IR version of the ThinkOutside keyboard but much prefer the positioning freedom of BT. Both boards give good tactile feel and the keys, while not full-sized, are large enough so I don't have any issues.

famousdavis
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I also recommend the TO SA BT keyboard. You may also want to read http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3001 for some reviews and pics.

I appreciated that link. From that link, I gleaned that the TO SA BT keyboard tends to wobble. That would be annoying to me. Worse, I think, is the lack of number keys. I would tend to use numbers somewhat infrequently in my writing, but when I need them -- for writing, say, a street address or phone number -- I'd want them to be right where they usually are.

So, I guess I'll look for another keyboard solution, one that has the row for number keys..... :(

Hrun
06-25-2005, 11:10 PM

I appreciated that link. From that link, I gleaned that the TO SA BT keyboard tends to wobble. That would be annoying to me. Worse, I think, is the lack of number keys. I would tend to use numbers somewhat infrequently in my writing, but when I need them -- for writing, say, a street address or phone number -- I'd want them to be right where they usually are.

So, I guess I'll look for another keyboard solution, one that has the row for number keys..... :(

Just my tuppence,

I have an IR keyboard. 1st off this is cheaper than the BT. 2nd how often do you need to use a keyboard when the PDA is not in front of you? 3rd I open my keyboard. place the Ipaq on it and it works. With BT I woud have to go Turn on BT and link then before it would work.

The other thing is the lack of number row. I do not miss it. At first it is funny as I am used to a desktop, but to use the numbers becomes second nature. They are still on the top row. You just need to hold the fn key with your left thumb to use them, same as shift for caps. It soon becomes second nature.

HTH Giles

Menneisyys
06-26-2005, 08:12 AM
3rd I open my keyboard. place the Ipaq on it and it works. With BT I woud have to go Turn on BT and link then before it would work.

Well, actually, with the TO SA keyboard, you only need to turn on BT on your PDA and just press a key on the keyboard. No re-linking is needed.

Hrun
06-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Well, actually, with the TO SA keyboard, you only need to turn on BT on your PDA and just press a key on the keyboard. No re-linking is needed.

Sorry, I didn't mean pair, I assumed it would be like my BT GPS where I have to turn on BT go into manager and click on the GPS to link them. Only take a few seconds, but using my IR keyboard is quicked by far

Cheers Giles

Menneisyys
06-26-2005, 09:51 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean pair, I assumed it would be like my BT GPS where I have to turn on BT go into manager and click on the GPS to link them. Only take a few seconds, but using my IR keyboard is quicked by far

Cheers Giles

You don't need to connect them in the BT manager - it's unlike standard serial devices like a GPS unit. You only need to switch on BT and can trye right away.

Hrun
06-26-2005, 09:54 AM
You don't need to connect them in the BT manager - it's unlike standard serial devices like a GPS unit. You only need to switch on BT and can trye right away.

Cool, that makes it as quick as the IR if you leave BT switched on. I wish some of the manufacturers bothered to give this sort of info as it might have swayed my decision to go with IR

Giles